Joshua Lee Bowling

Opening a hobbie bar

As the title suggests, I'd like to open a small bar/brewery that is also a card shop. As unconventional as it may seem, I think the combonation of a good couple beers, new friends, and great games of DBZ MtG, Pokrmon, and yugioh would be a lot of fun.

Does anyone have recommendations or good business tactics to start a card shop? I have cash to invest and somefriends interested in making it real.

I don't know where you live, but you may run into some problems with the law and organized play. You might want to check what your area says about having minors in a bar (especially since teenagers and young adults do make up a good chunk of the money that comes in). If memory serves, some games require your store to be open to everyone for official events, so you may want to check their policies if you do ANY type of organized play in your store (not just tournaments). 

Most of this is coming from what I've heard other people say about the subject. It's not something I've looked into myself.

Hadeus is correct, depending on the area you're located.  One way around it might be to have a "restricted area", where ID's get checked and brews can be had, but you cannot leave from.  Like a backroom beer garden.  You'll need to do some research in regards to your local/state law will permit.  

Honestly, it's a brilliant idea! 

Barcade is better. Being dorked up while playing games leads to water damaged cards.

Only if you're irresponsible and messy.  Besides, if he's running a legitimate establishment, I doubt they'd allow people to get that intoxicated and drive off later...

Correct, Im looking to run an establishment where there is cut-offs. Also i had a vision for running console game tournaments like smash bros and cod.

If you lived anywhere near me, like an hour or so, I'd end up living there.  

Yall know that being way past the limit for driving and just being buzzed will still floob up your coordination, yeah? Because it doesn't look like it.

What is to stop you from just drinking and hosting events at your home?

Yall know that being way past the limit for driving and just being buzzed will still floob up your coordination, yeah? Because it doesn't look like it.

What is to stop you from just drinking and hosting events at your home?

Me and my business partners are discussing this actually. A business of the kind needs to generate a reason to show. Now, anyone can set up events and snag a sixer and have a casual get together and play games. But, what if we offered incentive like winners recieving % off store, or showcasing cards on consignment.

Drinking at a hobby store is a pull on its own to a percent ofclientel. Also if we offered sanctiined tournaments on the DCI for magic and rewarded promos in other games.

Theres many pull tactics to creating a good environment that isnt at home. Random encounters to game with other people is fantastic. Who wants to make your siblings play test your deck when you can pull up a stool, snag a cheap brew and play hands with people at an event.

As for card damage....any drink could do that. Being wasted isnt advised in formal OP.

Me and my business partners are discussing this actually. A business of the kind needs to generate a reason to show. Now, anyone can set up events and snag a sixer and have a casual get together and play games. But, what if we offered incentive like winners recieving % off store, or showcasing cards on consignment.

Drinking at a hobby store is a pull on its own to a percent ofclientel. Also if we offered sanctiined tournaments on the DCI for magic and rewarded promos in other games.

Theres many pull tactics to creating a good environment that isnt at home. Random encounters to game with other people is fantastic. Who wants to make your siblings play test your deck when you can pull up a stool, snag a cheap brew and play hands with people at an event.

As for card damage....any drink could do that. Being wasted isnt advised in formal OP.

Exactly.  The practical, reasonable ADULTS would clearly understand that.  Maybe one before a tourney while finalizing a deck,  one before an important match and one after the tourney while waxing poetic about some matchups.  

As the title suggests, I'd like to open a small bar/brewery that is also a card shop. As unconventional as it may seem, I think the combonation of a good couple beers, new friends, and great games of DBZ MtG, Pokrmon, and yugioh would be a lot of fun.

Does anyone have recommendations or good business tactics to start a card shop? I have cash to invest and somefriends interested in making it real.

Seems like a very limited crowd man. I could see a hobby shop *maybe* serving food, but a bar/card shop, I don't see it.

As for the main floor, it would cater to people that just want to game. But if people want to snag a beer they are welcome to join us downstairs where we also host console games in a pub atmosphere. Its like a club for gamers essentially.

I just don't see it prospering - I don't feel like your average gamer would go in for that sort of thing, & I can't think of a location that would draw that large of a crowd regardless.

I just don't see it prospering - I don't feel like your average gamer would go in for that sort of thing, & I can't think of a location that would draw that large of a crowd regardless.

...  Isn't that basically Dave and Busters?  Instead of that many videogames there would be tables and space for CCG and board games.  I think that it caters to a niche market, but there's promise there.  

...  Isn't that basically Dave and Busters?  Instead of that many videogames there would be tables and space for CCG and board games.  I think that it caters to a niche market, but there's promise there.  

Dave & Busters - videogames/arcade games - envelop a much, much larger market than card/board games.

By "basically" I meant just kind of similar.  Also, I thought he said that there'd be pinball and some arcade games.  If not, then correct.  NOTHING like D&B's.  More like a bar in a LGS.  If so, there's a little connection...

I mainly brought that up because of how popular those have become.  Long story short, there's hope...   :D

My thing is, I don't see you attracting any new players with the bar concept. All I see is the alienation of younger players, which make up a solid portion of most cards games, for Yugioh or DBZ probably around 50% below the drinking age.

I really don't see it as alienating anyone.  It's the same as a restaurant that has a bar.  The younger folk could come in to the place.  Just not to the bar.  They could do everything in the place other than drink alcohol.  Hell, most younger people deal with that type of thing at home on a regular basis.