thekillingnoise

Dragon Ball Z - Fukkatsu No F *WARNING, CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!*

I thought this whole thread was supposed to be spoilers?

VEGETA GOES SMURF SUPER SAIYAN!!!

Serves you all right for reading a spoiler based thread and not wanting to see spoilers.

They both do.  :blink:

*SPOILERS BELOW*

Read a detailed spoiler.  Lotta ass-pulling that could've reasonably not been ass pulls.  Regardless I'm excited to see the new *SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER* super saiyan forms.

Frieza's character in this actually seems pretty cool.  From how the detailed spoiler treated him, it seemed mostly like an honor spar the whole time, save for Frieza going full asshole towards the end.

*SPOILERS BELOW*

Read a detailed spoiler.  Lotta ass-pulling that could've reasonably not been ass pulls.  Regardless I'm excited to see the new *SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER* super saiyan forms.

Frieza's character in this actually seems pretty cool.  From how the detailed spoiler treated him, it seemed mostly like an honor spar the whole time, save for Frieza going full asshole towards the end.

That last part sure sounds familiar...

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

I also read a detailed spoiler and am thoroughly pissed because Vegeta once again did not get his revenge and failed. Sigh.

SPOILERSPOILER

I also find it annoying that they straight up acknowledged this in the movie.  And the fact that in the regular timeline, Vegeta didn't have time to finish Frieza when he was going for the kill, but somehow Goku did have time to kill him.  Movie action sequence got some explaining to do.

Also stupid that now Goku is the guy that also gets to finish off the bad guy instead of showing them mercy.  That's Vegeta's job  :angry:

Edited topic title for those that don't want to come in and read spoilers...

But spoilers don't bother me. For example, I know how Naruto is going to end and what the "future" is going to be like. Doesn't stop me from watching each weeks episode. Reading and watching are two WAY different things.

I'm usually fine with spoilers.  I've read synopses of episodes for series before watching them and such.  But I understand the desire to NOT have it spoiled.  I figured with FnF, since I had tickets to the US premier, a week before it hit the general public in Japan, I'd try and go without this one time.  Of course once the limited screenings hit, Kotaku and every other online geek site couldn't wait to talk about *SPOILER* the new transformations */SPOILER* so I found out just by general facebook scrolling.  But I figured, I've HEARD about it, but haven't seen the visuals, so it's all good.  But then scrolling yesterday, BOOM, big 2 page spread from some magazine in Japan with full body images.  I'm still not really THAT pissed about it, as I said, I'm not an anti-spoiler fanatic, but it's still a pretty shitty thing to do.

So knowing what's going to happen now, I will say this: I really want to support this franchise so it can find new life, but I don't know how it's going to find that new life if they keep doing it the way they're doing it.

Goku is the hero, and that's cool. He's a cool dude who likes to fight and be a strong guy. The reason I love the Cell Saga, though, is that he wasn't the one who saved the day, for once. And it seemed as if things were going to shift that way. And then Buu. And now these last two movies and GT and stuff. And Goku keeps being the hero and saving the day and everyone else is more or less invalid. I want, for once, for Goku to NOT be the end-all be-all.

I know you can argue that, well, if you want that so badly, how come you don't want Robin or Nightwing to be the hero instead of Batman? My reasoning is kind of douchey, I suppose: Batman is the World's Greatest Detective and an incredibly deep and nuanced character, and Goku is a dumb goober who likes eating and fighting more than his family for no other reason than he is a dumb goober.

It's late and I'm exhausted and I'm rambling and I start a new job tomorrow for the first time in ten years and I'm scared shitless and goddammit I wish someone could play some DBZ with me right now so I can relieve stress.

Ok, had an absolute BLAST at the premier.  Here's the rundown:

Dragonball Z Fukkatsu no F (English title, Dragonball Z: Resurrection F)

WORLD premier red carpet showing

Egyptian Theatre Hollywood

Guests of honor: Japanese movie producers (wish I had gotten their names, but we were out of range of the speakers, more on that later)

Nozawa Masako - Japanese voice of Goku (continuous, since Dragonball in the 1980s)

Sean Schemmel - English voice of Goku (adult)

Emcee - Johnny Yong Bosch (also known for Power Rangers and well as various anime roles)

Other guests in attendance that I noticed:

Christopher Sabat - English voice of Vegeta, Piccolo, Yamcha, Kami, etc, etc, etc

Justin Cook - English voice of Raditz, Super Buu, Cell Jr. and Dende

Kyle Hebert - English voice of Adult Gohan and Pikkon

Gen Fukunaga - CEO of Funimation Entertainment

Ok, so my wife and I know a guy, his name is Jah'lon, but he's widely known as "Black_Goku".  He cosplays extensively, with a major focus on Goku in all his forms.  Jah'lon has been doing cosplay for funimation events for a good number of years now in California.  Well, as part of the premier, a bunch of us joined Jah'lon in cosplaying DBZ characters for the event.  Little did we know that doing so would actually get us BEHIND the scenes on the red carpet.  We had a great time posing for pictures and mingling with the press people.  This is how I missed the producers' names, we were behind the speakers.  We also got front row seats for the movie, as well as a short Q&A with the guests of honor afterward.

http://trome.pe/actualidad/dragon-ball-z-fukkatsu-no-f-mira-avant-premier-estados-unidos-goku-hablando-espanol-2045313

This shows a spanish site's coverage of the event, most of the pictures are of Nozawa-san and Schemmel, but the 10th and final picture is of our group in front of the poster.  You can barely make out my wife and I in the back there.  She went as Future Trunks and I went as Dr. Briefs.  I'll try and get some better pics up later.

Unfortunately we didn't get much time with Sean or Nozawa-san but I was able to say hi to Justin and Chris, and hang out with Kyle and his girlfriend a bit.

As to the movie:

Non spoiler stuff - As always, they are stepping up the animation big time for these.  Their combination of 3D and standard animation blends SO well.  There are some moments you can obviously tell it is 3D, but then it seamlessly shifts back to standard.  It is a good step away from Battle of the Gods.  BoG was a more social movie to bring us back into the world of DBZ, reintroduce characters and have some fun as well as see some good fights.  FnF goes back to DBZs roots as a heavy fighting anime.  And luckily we aren't treated to 20 minutes of power up and 2 minutes of blurred hands before an energy blast saves the day.  The power ups are quick, the fighting is well detailed and all in all was a great watch.

Spoiler stuff (Scroll over to read if you dare)

Beerus and Whis were great comic relief.  Krillin's ringtone or GTFO, so good.  I loved the fact that they didn't make a big scene with Vegeta about "How did Kakarot reach that level???!!", no it's just "Yeah, he's a little more powerful, but I can still kick your ass the same way".  GOHAN.  At first the tracksuit was offputting, but his new design is SO much better.  Just looking at his face, hair and physique, it looks like someone who could have grown from that kid at the end of Cell Games.  Loved the Jaco cameo.  It was great that he stuck around instead of being just an in/out homage.  BUFF ROSHI FIGHT!! 

All in all, it was a great day, well worth it, and I can't wait to check out the dub this summer.

So I finally saw the new DBZ movie and this sucks.

First of all, it's pretty bullshit that Goku and Vegeta trained all their LIVES and Frieza catches up in four months of training? Sure Frieza is naturally super powerful but four months compared to forty years? C'mon...

Why did the Z Fighters have so much trouble with Frieza's men? What could their power levels POSSIBLY be? 2,000? 8,000? Even if they were elites they were weaker than Bardock who was 10,000 because Bardock owned even Freiza's most powerful elites and they were a lot stronger back then compared to these rag tag bums now.

Meanwhile the Z Fighters had PLs in the millions if not tens of millions. So why did they have trouble? Shisami "rivals" ZARBON and yet Piccolo, who could go toe to toe with Cell, barely held his own against him?

Why was Frieza so strong in his base form anyway? If the majority of his power was from his new form, why did he instant-kill Gohan in one punch when Gohan was already strong enough to kill Buu? Even slacking he should have at least been as strong as he was back during Cell. 1 punch? Da hell?

Oh and another thing. Tien says he didn't bring Chaozu or Yamcha because "these guys are way too tough for them." What does he mean? Didn't they beat the shit out of the Ginyu force already years ago? Why would some scrubs be too tough for them then? And Master Roshi seemed to hold his own just fine and his power level is literally measured in the hundreds. So Roshi is stronger than Yamcha? I know Yamcha's an epic fail but jesus, that's pathetic.

Who is Jaco? What's the galactic patrol? I had to google these things to learn anything about them because if you just watched the regular show & movies, this was the first time you've ever seen or heard of either of these things.

Blue haired transformations now? Seriously...?

None of this movie made sense. It just pissed me off.

When did Chiaozu or Yamcha ever beat the Ginyu force?  Krillin and Gohan couldn't defeat them.  Goku defeated most of them and then Vegeta killed them.  (if you are talking about the whole things where the villains broke loose in Hell/HFIL, that's filler non-canon.)

Jaco was a short manga Toriyama did last year in Jump.  It was easily accessible via normal subscription or digital subscription in both Japan and America released simultaneously.  It also got a release in bookstores as a full tankobon (both Japan and America) with a bonus of the Bardock/Gi-ne one shot.  Sure, Jump isn't as big in the states anymore, but guaranteed everyone in Japan (their target audience) knew who they were.  Technically they mention Vegeta's brother Tarble in BoG, even though we never got "Yo! Goku and his Friends Return" in English.  So?

Roshi is NOT in the hundreds.  When he bulks out and fights he can keep toe-to-toe with the human z-fighters (read Dragonball.), he's the one that trained most of them.

Frieza training up to his new form would easily mean that his base for is now exponentially more powerful as well.  Gohan has been slacking since the Buu fight (in which he was mostly useless anyway).  His power has always been unreliable, so it's definitely possible he couldn't build up his full potential.

While I understand you didn't agree with a lot of the movie, it is what it is.  It's a movie.  it's non-canon.  Dragon Ball Super is about the retell it, you might like it better, who knows.

When did Chiaozu or Yamcha ever beat the Ginyu force?  Krillin and Gohan couldn't defeat them.  Goku defeated most of them and then Goku killed them.  (if you are talking about the whole things where the villains broke loose in Hell/HFIL, that's filler non-canon.)

Jaco was a short manga Toriyama did last year in Jump.  It was easily accessible via normal subscription or digital subscription in both Japan and America released simultaneously.  It also got a release in bookstores as a full tankobon (both Japan and America) with a bonus of the Bardock/Gi-ne one shot.  Sure, Jump isn't as big in the states anymore, but guaranteed everyone in Japan (their target audience) knew who they were.  Technically they mention Vegeta's brother Tarble in BoG, even though we never got "Yo! Goku and his Friends Return" in English.  So?

Roshi is NOT in the hundreds.  When he bulks out and fights he can keep toe-to-toe with the human z-fighters (read Dragonball.), he's the one that trained most of them.

Frieza training up to his new form would easily mean that his base for is now exponentially more powerful as well.  Gohan has been slacking since the Buu fight (in which he was mostly useless anyway).  His power has always been unreliable, so it's definitely possible he couldn't build up his full potential.

While I understand you didn't agree with a lot of the movie, it is what it is.  It's a movie.  it's non-canon.  Dragon Ball Super is about the retell it, you might like it better, who knows.

They beat the Ginyu force when King Kai had them sent to his planet so that they could fight them.

I don't read the manga and I shouldn't have to in order to understand something that's happening in the show. They are separate.

Roshi's power level is in the hundreds. At the start of DBZ, Goku was 416. Piccolo 408. They were the world's two strongest. Roshi even says so. So they were stronger than Roshi back at only 400. He also says he'd help against Raditz but would be no match for him. Raditz was 1,200. Therefore Roshi is established under 1,200 even "hulked out."

Doesn't matter. His base form's power level was 200,000 back on Namek.

Buu's power level was over 1 billion.

Which means even if Frieza increased his base power level by ONE THOUSAND fold he would STILL be LEAGUES weaker than Gohan.