Starlord

Dragonball Super (WARNING, SOME SPOILERS MAY BE INSIDE!)

The problem is that Dragon Ball Super is much more homogenized than past iterations of Dragon Ball. It exists to continue a story but mostly to sell a product or brand, somewhat disproportionately, whereas the other series were about these two things but with differently tipped scales in reverse. Dragon Ball GT was similar in that aspect but was done on a much larger budget than Dragon Ball Super as it was made to fuel and promote interest for an upcoming PS One game known as "Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout".

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z were extensions of the manga both of which didn't have a "schedule" in terms of how long an arc might last since Akira Toriyama controlled the flow and progression of the series. People read it and bought merchandise for it however merchandise was mainly being sold because of how popular the series was rather than a series existing mostly to push merchandise like with Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Super where there's a stark contrast between those iterations of the franchise compared to Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.

That is to say it wasn't inherently bad since no show stays for very long in the Japanese market without strong merchandise sales and certainly Dragon Ball Z managed to crank out endless merchandise to that end yet it didn't have to fight for those sales cause the popularity was generally natural at the time. The anime made a point of sticking to the original source material in the manga without trying to truncate anything as it even expanded upon it with filler material that you normally won't see nowadays in most modern anime series for reasons we're familiar with.

Dragon Ball Super by contrast has no manga (or rather, is not led by one) and is based on nothing but a general plot outline by Akira Toriyama as Dragon Ball isn't the guaranteed powerhouse it was way back when. Dragon Ball Super is a risk, not a hot new item, it's an existing item that Toei is hoping to make popular again which is a much harder sell. So the thinking may be that arcs are packaged in neat little cubes so that the production knows in advance when a switch is to occur, so that the merchandise machine can schedule itself around the events so that things can be accelerated/altered If a particular arc isn't doing well in ratings and sales.

The problem is that Dragon Ball Super is much more homogenized than past iterations of Dragon Ball. It exists to continue a story but mostly to sell a product or brand, somewhat disproportionately, whereas the other series were about these two things but with differently tipped scales in reverse. Dragon Ball GT was similar in that aspect but was done on a much larger budget than Dragon Ball Super as it was made to fuel and promote interest for an upcoming PS One game known as "Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout".

Never got into GT but did buy Final Bout on eBay when I was a kid. Found out I bought the Japanese version and was never able to play it :/

I'll probably start watching Super in another month or two to make sure there's plenty of backlog to go through as I'm not particularly interested in watching the parts where they rehash the recent movies.

I'll probably start watching Super in another month or two to make sure there's plenty of backlog to go through as I'm not particularly interested in watching the parts where they rehash the recent movies.

Honestly you're not missing much especially when FUNimation's better off saving us the trouble of turning down the license to dub Dragon Ball Super when it would be in much better hands with TeamFourStar though I can seem them having legal troubles with Toei since they're only a non-profit anime fan-based parody YouTube channel not a foreign licensing company.

Honestly you're not missing much especially when FUNimation's better off saving us the trouble of turning down the license to dub Dragon Ball Super when it would be in much better hands with TeamFourStar though I can seem them having legal troubles with Toei since they're only a non-profit anime fan-based parody YouTube channel not a foreign licensing company.

Wait, did Funimation turn down dubbing Super?!

I like suoer and hope it continues for a long time

Future Trunk's time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Dragon Ball Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

It has gotten better these last few episodes. I am really curious about Black and exactly how strong he is. Also, his origin. How can he possess Goku's body if Goku has died from the heart virus in that universe/timeline/future mess. lol

It has gotten better these last few episodes. I am really curious about Black and exactly how strong he is. Also, his origin. How can he possess Goku's body if Goku has died from the heart virus in that universe/timeline/future mess. lol

I was thinking maybe it was universe 6 goku??  I really want to know as well.

Toei's kinda starting to get their shit together with Dragon Ball Super yet it's become more of a guilty pleasure for me that I can't stop watching even though they've been improving the animation quality with the Blu-ray releases in Japan so whether or not If we get the quality from that release for the FUNimation dub is anyone's guess at this point.

As for the case with Goku Black I'm assuming that Future Trunks giving the Goku from our timeline a cure to the heart virus must of created a butterfly effect in Future Trunks' timeline where it became an antibiotic that Future Ginyu took after he swapped bodies with Future Goku where he's now trapped inside the body of the frog that Ginyu was in since Frieza Saga.

So If Future Ginyu really is Goku Black how was he able to get ahold of the Time Ring that's associated with the Kai's let alone not blowing his cover through poses as he did while serving under Frieza with the Ginyu Force? How does Future Ginyu know about Future Trunks? For all we know Future Goku could still be alive inside the body of that frog.

I don't think it's Ginyj. Solely because he never fought Goku before. And was excited to do so. And his ki was different than Ginyu's.

He was also able to recognize Beerus. Although I'm not sure if that is common knowledge.

I was thinking that as well about ginyu but if he was there did future ginyu defeat frieza and why would vegeta get with bulma?  I would see vegeta Traveling to other planets if ginyu beat freiza.  So I would think there would be no future trunks.  IDK my other thought is why is Trunks hair blue now?

I don't think it's Ginyj. Solely because he never fought Goku before. And was excited to do so. And his ki was different than Ginyu's.

He was also able to recognize Beerus. Although I'm not sure if that is common knowledge.

You could be right however I'm still inclined to believe that Goku Black is Future Ginyu judging by what we know off of Episode 50. I doubt they'd make Turles canon over Broly considering how popular he is while I can't see him being Goku Jr. from Dragon Ball GT.

I was thinking that as well about ginyu but if he was there did future ginyu defeat frieza and why would vegeta get with bulma?  I would see vegeta Traveling to other planets if ginyu beat freiza.  So I would think there would be no future trunks.  IDK my other thought is why is Trunks hair blue now?

Future Goku already killed Future Frieza before he had his body taken over by Future Ginyu who was still trapped inside the frog at the time since he never died on Namek where as Future Trunks was still conceived before Future Vegeta was killed by the Androids.

Future Trunks' hair is blue because Toriyama forgot that it was supposed to be lavender when he even mentioned that he couldn't remember Bulma's original hair color even though it's mostly been bluish green in the anime compared to being lavender in the manga.

Per the Potara I would say it has something to do with a kai.  99% sure we're not dealing with Ginyu.  They did that with Tagoma in Gold Frieza.  There's no reason to bring him back again.  Totally anti-climactic.

Pretty much sums up my feelings about Dragon Ball Super and perhaps the entire franchise in general:

Following quote is by Mr. Joy himself:

Dragon Ball needs to die... I think that's a new record. Only one sentence in and it starts with an inflammatory statement that I'll probably regret but oh well, sometimes you have to take a risk. Do you know what a risk is Toei? I say that with a pretty heavy heart though because in the end it didn't have to be this way.

It's a series that I've been a fan of for almost two decades now, from it's early heavily censored English Dub from Ocean Group/Pioneer to seeing the original Japanese version and realizing that we've all been lied to. After seeing Dragon Ball Super's first 26 episodes though it's convinced me even more that Dr. Jack Kevorkian is both a saint and a scholar because he of all people knew that it was just cruel to keep a corpse alive.

The ideas put into this project were just so ill-conceived that it's comparable to pitching an idea for a children's cartoon show which features a toddler with progeria who never makes it to their 5th birthday. Oh that's right we did have a show like that it was called, "Ill-Conceived: From the Cradle to the Grave." The truth of the matter though is that the series had been on a downward spiral for years before this show came along.

#1: The Road to H.F.I.L. (Home For Infinite Losers)

For the purpose of this video I'm going to mostly be referring to Dragon Ball Z less so the original Dragon Ball series and not GT at all though I guess the most damning thing I can say now is that after seeing Dragon Ball Super I have a new appreciation for Dragon Ball GT. There were a number of different points where the story was supposed to end in Dragon Ball according to the series creator Akira Toriyama himself.

If we're going by personal preference I think it would've ended best at the Saiyan Saga. Keep the Dragon Balls gone, let Krillin get the killing blow for a change, keep all the people who died actually dead, and end on a bittersweet victory where father and son are reunited and the Earth is safe but then again I'm not in marketing or merchandising so ya know...

It's not to say I didn't enjoy the Frieza Saga of course I actually loved it.  It was here where tensions were high, our heroes were vastly outgunned by enemies on all fronts, and things were probably at their bleakest. After this story arc came to an end though with all the glorious violence, children and old people being killed on screen, things being torn from their sockets, the Ginyu Force, Vegeta's character arc coming full circle, and the confrontation between Goku and Frieza well let's just say it was a very long way down from the top.

The Cell Saga while not necessarily bad introduced us to more Super Saiyans and the questionable time travel plot, higher levels of Super Saiyans, new set of Dragon Balls with less strict rules, Cell transforming from an awesome bug monster to a boring man with white makeup, and countless and logical decisions made by the characters that led to disaster every single time. Granted there were some very good things about this saga, quite a few of them in fact.

One of the best in my opinion was that it ended with a good sense of closure, even If it doesn't make a great deal of sense that Goku would choose to stay dead. Maybe they should've just not made more Dragon Balls so that they didn't have a choice and it would've been a harsh reality they would've had to face. It would've made more sense dramatically and Goku would look way less like a selfish asshole.

Then came the Majin Buu Saga or as I like to call it the beginning of the end. It didn't help that this was the longest saga with the least compelling villain being filled to the brim with false climaxes, even more new Dragon Balls to negate the threat of death, and other stupid shit I hate. Still even this arc had some things I enjoyed like when it was over, and Vegeta I guess. Seeing him give Goku the thumbs up after Buu is finally killed and throwing his pride away for the good of the world and his family, it was a great way to put a cap on their rivalry and the series as a whole.

Not to mention pretty much every scene with Mr. Satan as always was wonderful...ahh man I miss Daisuke Gōri. Credit where credit is due, Buu Saga seemed to have a much more consistent quality as far as art and animation is concerned. The Frieza Saga and especially the Cell Saga had some "issues" let's say.  After the Buu Saga ended (not counting GT) we didn't get anything until the TV Special "Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!" in 2008 that's exactly one boyhood later.

The Special featured Vegeta's never once mentioned before younger brother Tarble, as Toriyama only had five character designs and worthless villains who posed no threat to anybody. Pretty much didn't care for it If you couldn't tell already, in 2013 that same time was continued in Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods. The difference here however is that Beerus was an interesting antagonist that was unlike anything we've seen in the series yet. Though he was a literal God of Destruction, he was unpredictable, had a bit of a sense of humor, and wasn't necessarily evil so the lighter tone kind of worked here.

It lacked the tension and brutality of something like the Saiyan and Frieza Sagas needless to say, as a stand alone movie I thought it was a lot of fun even If some things made me shake my head at how stupid they were even by Dragon Ball standards. They use an unborn baby to help Goku power up. Seriously. Then in 2015 we have another movie, Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'. This one featured Frieza who shouldn't have been a threat even to Goten at this point, but don't worry he trained for 4 whole months so I guess that makes it understandable..sigh...

While Battle of Gods felt fresh Resurrection 'F' reeked of desperation, having to resort to bringing back the best villain the series had while kind of forgetting what made him good to begin with...more on that later. Given how this was just a movie and with most of the Dragon Ball Z movies being about as far from canon as possible this was an acceptable mindless side story at least. Oh yeah I forget to mention in 2011 there was an OVA called Episode of Bardock....we don't talk about Episode of Bardock...

It had been quite some time since I've last watched Dragon Ball Z to it's completion probably at least 10 years now so when I heard Dragon Ball Super was announced I kinda forgot what direction the series had taken over the years. I was initially excited to see it, so much so that I hopped onto the bandwagon and made my own Episode 1 review but did it in a much more sarcastic way and then proceeded to make fun of it as If nothing important happened...oh man If I only knew what was coming next.

#2: Yeah, You Got That Right

I don't really like to make statements like these but Dragon Ball Super is what I'd like to refer to as "utter shit". Surprisingly a lot of people share that sentiment though a good deal of them do so for entirely different reasons. Maybe they can't quite put their finger on what's missing from this show or they just have different opinions in why, there's nothing with that. But I think what most people can agree on though is that the art and the animation in Dragon Ball Super is atrocious.

For such a big name series like Dragon Ball nobody could've looked at this and said in good conscience, "Yeah, that's fine." Freaking Gal O Sengen looked better than this, comparing Dragon Ball Super to the Lupin III (2015 TV series) which is specifically designed to look old-fashioned, Super looks archaic and cheap. Even without the extreme examples of the Internet started rallying against just as early as Episode 5, there are some scenes that are so incredibly flat and lifeless and it's even worse when you look back on what Dragon Ball Z animation used to look like 27 years ago and realize we've progressed.

It's true that Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z weren't without their own quirks in the "yard of animation" of course but it also wasn't as consistently ugly and robotic as often as Super is though there are times when the animation is fine good even but they're so overshadowed by the shoddy production values and the worst scenes that it's easy to forget and the worst part about all this I think is the least of Dragon Ball Super's problems.

#3 - Everything New Is Old Again

Before we continue I'd like to address King Kai and how his voice actor in the Japanese Sub Jōji Yanami sounds when delivering lines during the Battle of Gods arc in Super, "You're old enough, so show some respect with your greeting...you idiot!" There's energy on screen but we hear none of it in his voice (the irony isn't lost on me). There's a lot you can make fun of but the sad reality is that the man is 84 years old, he's obviously tired, and he had to take an indefinite medical leave from Super starting with Episode 12. Mr. Yanami has been a part of Dragon Ball's animated rendition from the very beginning as Dr. Briefs, as King Kai, and most importantly as a narrator in the Japanese Subs in every episode we've heard him in (unless you prefer the English Dub with Jim Conrad, Doc Harris, Dale Kelly, Kyle Hebert, and Andrew Chandler).

I'm not callous enough to think that it's Toei's fault for Mr. Yamani's medical issues but this information makes me even more certain that Dragon Ball Super just shouldn't have been made. For all intents and purposes Mr. Yanami is just as much representative of the Japanese Sub of Dragon Ball as Masako Nozawa (much like how Stephanie Nadolny, Ian James Corlett, Peter Kelamis, and Sean Schemmel are representatives of the English Dub version) and I can only hope his health issues are resolved and that he doesn't feel obligated or God forbid pressured to return unless he absolutely wants to. With that out of the way let's get back to talking about why I hate this show.

Everything in Dragon Ball Super so far is just more of what we've already seen. No literally, it's nothing more than a retelling of both the Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods and the Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' movies, the latter of which were released the same year and was already kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of ideas. It's true that Dragon Ball has always had pacing problems, mostly in Dragon Ball Z where fights can drag out way too long and there are some very slow scenes but for the most part it was engaging and probably taught some kids the value of patience not to mention appreciating silence and ambience.

After Dragon Ball Kai (Dragon Ball Z Kai in the English Dub version) bridged the series to a more reasonable pace it's baffling to see Dragon Ball Super stretching an 85 minute movie over the course of 14 episodes and then doing it again right after. The correct approach would've been not to rehash movies that just came out and make some new stories but hey I guess that requires effort. Just put any shit with Goku on it and people would eat it right up, but it's not all exactly the same of course. There are ever some ever so slight differences, for example in Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Bulma's birthday was held in West City but in Dragon Ball Super it was on a private yacht but I guess we get some hilarious Pilaf Gang scenes in this movie don't we?

Sigh...

There's also no shortage of eye rollingly desperate scenes made to cash in on nostalgia. Hey remember that part in Dragon Ball Z when Piccolo sacrificed himself to save Gohan? Remember how important that scene was and what serious implications his death carried for the entire cast and the story as we knew it? Remember how it showed how much Piccolo had changed as a character along with Gohan?

Well guess what he does it again in Dragon Ball Super during the Resurrection 'F' arc only this time it has little to no impact on anything at all. Gohan's an adult at this point so it just kind of makes them look more pathetic since Piccolo's life is no longer linked to the Earth's Dragon Balls so him dying doesn't really have as much meaning as it once did, on that note you know they're just gonna bring him back to life again anyway because the series has established that precedent time and time and time again. Speaking of precedence...

#4 - A Victim of It's Own Design

Jumping the shark is a term I don't really like using but it can accurately describe several points in Dragon Ball over the years, from power levels, to Super Saiyans, to the inevitable power creep that every new villain needs to be stronger to the point where Krillin throws a Destructo Disk against Perfect Cell having no effect at all. Dragon Ball really should've just quit while it was ahead and as much as I personally disliked this descent into absurdity that Dragon Ball fell into as it progressed there were at least several precedents that were set in the process that were hard to dismiss. With such a gap in power levels (looks at Broly *sigh*) there was a more clear logic that the show had gained in regards to certain characters and where they stood in terms of their capabilities.

I think that's a very unfortunate way to write a series because it renders entire groups of characters entirely null and void however the damage had already been done since there was no going back after that. So for better or worse the audience had to adapt to it because there was no other choice unless you wanted to stop watching of course which would be a good idea at this point. This all starts to fall apart at Resurrection 'F' by extension Dragon Ball Super but on the way that makes any of the less useful characters actually relevant again just the opposite in fact.

When Frieza was killed in Dragon Ball Z after he survived Old Namek's explosion he was a non-issue to the point where Future Trunks didn't even have to try and after each new villain that followed, Frieza was seemingly exponentially more powerful. The idea that he trained for 4 months in order to surpass all of the Z Warriors THAT much flies in the face of any established logic implied or not that the series had. I can already hear people say, "But of course they had to make him stronger since there wouldn't be a movie or a rehash story arc otherwise." I have a couple of responses to that.

The first response is that yes that would be preferable and my second response is that If you absolutely need to bring Frieza back have Goku and all the other strong characters off doing something away from Earth and just have the weaker ones left there to fight him. Maybe Krillin whom I'm assuming would probably be close to Frieza's level at this point. So go ahead leave your comments, Krillin's power level would only be at 600,000 or whatever. Congratulations, we're both proving the exact same point.

Frieza also lost any menace he once carried both from the fact that we know that one of several sets of Dragon Balls could just bring back everybody he kills to life and from the way his character behaves in Dragon Ball Z he didn't actually show his power for awhile so we were left to wonder just how dangerous he really was. All of his underlings feared him and obeyed his orders without question after all. He was usually calm and collected but still capable of cruelty at a moment's notice. Helped by a fun cast of supporting henchmen like Dodoria, Zarbon, and the Ginyu Force Frieza is considered by some to be the best most despicable villain in the series.

A great thing about his rivalry with Goku is that Frieza didn't know him at all nor did the two see one another until right before their first fight began on Old Namek. Frieza couldn't care less about who this guy was or to even consider him a threat since he was just another Saiyan monkey to crush under his heel. Seeing Frieza gradually lose his composure going from an arrogant and confident space dictator, to a screaming unhinged lunatic with no regard for his own safety it was fun to watch because we saw how much it pushed him from his usual dignified self.

In Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' and Dragon Ball Super there's none of that build up at all nor that build up would even help because ultimately we've seen this crap already. Instead Frieza's at some awkward halfway point where he's just clearly there for revenge and hamming it up but not at all intimidating even If he is overpowered again. It just comes across as pandering at best and a total lack of understanding the source material at worst.

#5 - No Danger, No Point

One of the things that I loved about Dragon Ball was that as it went on it got progressively more serious. I enjoyed the early more comedic adventures don't get me wrong but it was interesting to see a series grow up a little bit with it's own audience. To give you an idea let's compare two minor villains (Monster Carrot and Zarbon) and see how they're dealt with as the series went on shall we?

Monster Carrot is defeated by Kid Goku in Dragon Ball who uses his power pole to send him to the Moon and leaves him there where as Zarbon in Frieza Saga has Vegeta punch him so hard that it leaves a hole in his stomach leaving a giant bleeding wound and then proceeds to blast him at point-blank range penetrating through his back and undoubtedly vaporizing several internal organs with the resulting blast sending him to a nearby lake to die from either shock, bleeding out, while drowning in the last agonizing moments of his life.

Ever since Frieza Saga, Dragon Ball has steadily grown more sanitized over the years with the amount of violence being lowered to the point where we're at Dragon Ball Super now without so much as a drop of blood. I'm not saying that violence or gore makes something better or more mature on it's own, it clearly doesn't but it's an element that can add some way to a dire situation by showing some more dire consequences. I can live without Dragon Ball Super showing blood fine, but what I find utterly unforgivable is the show's lack of any sense of danger or mood for that matter (at least until we get to the Future Trunks arc involving Black and Zamasu) as part of that can be attributed to the musical score itself.

Now I'm going to ruffle some feathers here I'm sure but to me the Shunsuke Kikuchi score in the Japanese Sub as well as the Peter Berring, Shuki Levy/Ron Wasserman, and Bruce Faulconer scores in the English Dub have always reigned supreme as far as establishing Dragon Ball's mode. "Aww what is this, some fifties shit?!"  Is usually the criticism it gets which I say, "Fine, you're entitled to your opinion." To be fair there were some times when it wasn't utilized properly but for the most part there was such a variety of songs from emotional, to mysterious, and most relevant in this case complete and utter dread.

That's something that's been missing from Kenji Yamamoto's score and Dragon Ball Kai that continues with Norihito Sumitomo's score for Dragon Ball Super, it's not that Sumitomo's a bad composer but the music played during the battle doesn't give the impression that our heroes are in any danger at all. I guess it's not really his fault though given how the two major enemies so far (before the Future Trunks arc in Dragon Ball Super) being Beerus and Frieza aren't really effective in the series. To clarify I like Beerus, he and Whis are probably the best part of this series but even then the joke of "cat loves food" begins to wear thin after awhile.

Along with the humor depleting the threat of his powers wane even faster, he says he's going to blow up the Earth approximately 10 times and doesn't do it even when Oolong loses the Rock-Paper-Scissors game against him in Dragon Ball Super. Oh and we also know that he doesn't do it because he doesn't do it in the Battle of Gods movie. When Frieza comes back Beerus' presence actually makes the lack of tension even worse where him and Whis are just sitting there watching the fight casually looking bored and un-amused just like the audience.

Yeah I know they give some throwaway line where the fight against Frieza is just trivial to them and they choose not to get involved. Whis probably just see's this as a training excerise for Goku and Vegeta really but it renders the entire thing extremely safe and boring doesn't it? The only reason Beerus and Whis don't help is because If they did the fight would be over in an instant and there would be no Resurrection 'F' arc, sounds fine to me. All the minor characters seem to be there on the sidelines to act as further window dressing, to ruin Krillin and Gohan's images, and to act as "gasp dispensers" while Goku handles everything like usual.

All those reaction shots and observations sure help pad that run time though. Oh yeah and let's not forget that Frieza succeeds in blowing up the Earth along with everybody on it. They even make a point in Dragon Ball Super to make it seem more horrifying by showing Videl and Bulma's parents' last moments but don't worry Whis can reverse time 3 minutes back to let Goku have a chance of killing Frieza before he does it cause it was such an unexpected move for Frieza to destroy Planet Vegeta that Whis couldn't have seen it coming, wait a minute...

Even without all this though there's still the biggest factor in the entire series that utterly ruins any tension If you stop to think about it for a few seconds and ironically enough it's the show's very namesake: the Dragon Balls. What were once elusive and mysterious relics that took a fair bit of time to actually track down, the Dragon Balls became a glorified Get out of Jail Free (card) that was used repeatedly to correct the problems the characters may have run into: family people dying.

In Dragon Ball Super's defense this was a problem that was started long ago in the series so I'm hardly singling this one out. It's kind of a unique problem for a piece of fiction when a character dying or the Earth being blown up is just an inconvenience. They've had the Dragon Balls disappear and make things tense again in the past but they always ruin it shortly thereafter when a new set of Dragon Balls is discovered or just invented yet they still felt the need to say when Frieza blew up the Earth, "Oh no the Dragon Balls are gone."

Let's not forget Goku's ability to travel anywhere with his stupid Instant Transmission technique since it was even proven that he could travel to Other World when he was still alive by sending Cell to King Kai's planet before blowing up. So what's stopping him from going to New Namek to use their Dragon Balls If the one's on Earth are gone? He could've gone there to wish the Earth back now that the Namek Dragon Balls had their wish power upgraded during Buu Saga ahh screw it you get the point.

#6 - Character Development

There's one thing I've heard some people say when acting as an apologist for this train wreck with bad ideas...oh I mean TV show. They claim that when people criticize completely nonsensical actions from the characters we are true fans for not bending to this show's terrible writing, one scene in particular with Krillin surrounded by Frieza's soldiers during the Resurrection 'F' arc in Dragon Ball Super made me hate this series exponentially. Seriously this one part alone may have been what pushed me to make this whole YouTube video.

Here we see Krillin intimidated by these thugs who are probably one one thousandth of his strength, even Roshi is beating these guys but yet here we have Krillin frozen in fear and unwilling to fight. The other Z Warriors even tell him to run away and aside from this being a complete mockery of his character have noticed some people defending the scene by citing it as an example of character development but I'd like to counter that argument right now:

1.    Krillin has already died three times so he's well aware that they have Dragon Balls to bring people back to life and he knows Other World exists so you'd think he'd just be used to it by now.
2.    Krillin has plenty of weakness already, adding another flaw on top of everything else just starts to take away from his character rather than add onto it.
3.    Krillin was a strong character because of his tenacity and reliability regardless of how low class he was, he got scared at times sure sometimes even willing to let children and the elderly be massacred right in front of him, but he wouldn't shy away from even the strongest opponents.

There's even a theory floating around saying that Krillin being scared of Frieza's soldiers during the Resurrection 'F' arc in Dragon Ball Super was him showing symptoms of PTSD (Post traumatic stress disorder) from his death on Old Namek. Well If we're going to start factoring in real serious medical issues into Dragon Ball then the entire cast would've been a complete wreck.

For one thing, Gohan would have all kinds of physical impairments due to the intense physical trauma he experienced between ages 4 and 5 not to mention all the emotional scarring. Master Roshi would have little to no cognitive functions left given that he's more than 300 years old and just because he can't die of old age doesn't mean his brain cells can!

The point I'm trying to make is that real medical issues like that don't make sense in a story that has a magic bean that can instantly repair fatal injuries like having your neck broken. The weird thing about that scene with Krillin is that it didn't happen at all in the Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' movie nor did the scene with Piccolo dying for no reason since it was just sloppy writing and a terrible attempt at characterization that ignores everything that happened in the series up to that point in hopes that we will too.

I'd like to think that most fans of this series are smarter than that, speaking of bad characterization I hate what they did to Vegeta in Dragon Ball Super. After swallowing his pride and getting over his obsession with being stronger than Goku by the end of Buu Saga, months after he's back to his old ways again. He even wears his Saiyan armor cause that's what people recognize him by, this is treading water in the worst of ways because this rivalry has already been done to death as it's actively regressing Vegeta as a character.

But I guess we shouldn't worry about that cause by the time they go up against the new original villains Molecule and March and Poo, Vegeta will probably come to the realization that he doesn't care about surpassing Goku again. Oh and I like how they whittled Videl's character down from a street fighting rough around the edges girl who Gohan was teaching how to fight to a boring and obedient housewife completely drained of her personality and with the worst design.

#7 - Who Is This Show Even For?

This may be the most baffling and mysterious aspect of Dragon Ball Super in general: it's intended demographic. I sincerely doubt it was made for fans like me who appreciated both the light-hearted tone of earlier Dragon Ball and the high-stakes violence led extravaganza of the first two sagas in Dragon Ball Z. That sense of progression is something I loved about the franchise and as it eventually started to devolve into a sanitized childish tripe that doesn't even attempt to get the crude early Dragon Ball humor down well I guess I kind of started to care less for it.

I'm not really certain that Dragon Ball Super was really aimed at a new generation of young audiences either though If you were to sit a kid down in front of this show they'd probably just be confused, overwhelmed, and ultimately would rather watch something else. If they had previous knowledge of older better Dragon Ball they'd probably ask something along the lines of, "Hey why does this show suck so much, kids don't want to watch forced slice-of-life postcard moments like Trunks and Goten gathering spring water as Videl's wedding gift. They don't want to watch toothless fight scenes with no consequences and I don't think they're really going to laugh too hard about Beerus liking food after seeing it for the 57th time."

Contrary to what some people think kids can handle some fantasy violence and adult themes, hell I watched Ninja Scroll when I was 10 years old I think I turned out just fine. In an age where you can bring up a browser and watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Osomatsu-San, Lupin III (2015 TV series), Kaiji, Gurren Legann, Great Teacher Onizuka, Kill la Kill, and countless other shows legally and for free I might add, no kid who'd give half a shit about anime is going to bother with Dragon Ball Super and the thought of this show being a gateway anime like Dragon Ball once was is just laughable.

So who was Dragon Ball Super actually aimed at? It'd be easy just to say what we're probably all thinking here:

⦁    Blind fanboys with disposable incomes who are the type that will buy anything with a product's name on it regardless of whether or not it has any substance.
⦁    The type that puts their hands over their ears when they hear criticism of the show they enjoy and starts yelling at people by telling them they're wrong.
⦁    The type of people who'll remain in some kind of Stockholm Syndrome style trance saying, "Dragon Ball Super is saving it's animation budget and original ideas for the Champa arc.
⦁    The type who claim that If you dislike the show or God forbid some aspects of Dragon Ball Z then you're not a real fan.
⦁    The type who puts Akira Toriyama on some kind of pedestal as If he's the funniest and most creative man alive who can do no wrong. (Disclaimer: I like Toriyama, he's not perfect. Nobody is.)
⦁    The type who are so dishonest with themselves and to others that they claim that they're hyped for seeing the next episode of this garbage despite already knowing what's going to happen.

I'd be easy to say all that but I won't. I can only come to the conclusion that the show is intended for nobody in the hope that brand recognition would carry it all the way to the bank. Sad thing is it's probably right to an extent. Dragon Ball has never been what I consider to be a masterpiece, the characters are deep, the animation has never been stunning or even consistent, and the stories aren't complex.

Not to mention the idea of a series having a single fight between two characters lasting 18 episodes is about as insane as inviting John Wayne Gacy to entertain at your 4 year old's birthday, I mean Gacy's dead he'd just kind of sit there and do nothing so ya know. But it's a series that despite all it's flaws has captivated audiences around the world for more than 30 years. Even after a long love-hate relationship with a series and looking at it with such a critical lens I still consider myself a fan even though I find this new show to be well um you get the point.

As with any franchise this expansive you can take the good and leave the bad and while I may be a minority when I say that the series should've ended with the Saiyan Saga and keeping the Dragon Balls gone with most of the characters dead and my depressing head canon ending that's just my opinion. I just hope that now you can see where I'm coming from, so was there anything in Dragon Ball Super that I liked?

Well I thought some of the character interactions were okay, hearing Gohan refer to Mr. Satan as his dad was kind of touching honestly though he didn't seem to make a big deal out of it so it just kind of felt natural. Also the scene where Mr. Satan gave up all his prize money to Goku's family was good too, Mr. Satan was already a pretty "stand-up guy" by the time Dragon Ball Z was over so this just really solidifies how much of a selfless character he became so that's what I'm saying about most of the scenes with Mr. Satan anyway.

Also Dragon Ball Super's theme was done by Kazuya Yoshii the frontman of the Japanese rock band "The Yellow Monkey" and as a fan of the real band it was a real treat for me. "Chōzetsu ☆ Dynamic!!" is certainly no "Cha-La Head-Cha-La" by Hironobu Kageyama (now frontman for Japanese rock band "JAM PROJECT") but it's not bad. I like the first ending theme too, not only because that it signified that the show's over but it's a good song in it's own right.