Twistedtraceur

New to DBZ & looking to learn

Hi everyone I was referenced to come here by Delexies from reddit, thought I would give the proper credit. 

I come from MTG and even though i use to play the original DBZ card game I faintly remember it. I started playing this when me and my girlfriend just saw the new DBZ movie and decided to buy the card game to play at home for fun. After we finally bought enough starter sets and cards to get the decks we wanted we started playing. I sadly have never beat your orange Goku drill deck which is why I must learn more about the game. 

My GF works at a comic shop that I play magic at and she said they are going to start doing DBZ every Wednesday after a small group of people asked if they would. I'm pretty competitive and don't like embarrassing myself at events, and I score pretty high in our MTG casual tourneys that have sometimes 70 players in it and i usually am top 10 to top 20. placed 4th in recent weeks. I'm pretty satisfied with my decks until the new set and now focusing completely on DBZ, especially with evolution being released!

I have never played blue, and my preferred mastery is a red anger deck, but I lack the right MP's so im mostly focusing on my black Trunks deck. I would appreciate any help, tips, tutoring, or overall advice about the game.

Quick probably easy to answer questions.

Q1: Is going first better then going second like in MTG? 

Q2: What are ways of handling Orange Goku Drill Decks?

Q3: What are some good black Trunks beat down cards?

Q4: What cards in evolution should I be looking out for?

Thanks all in advanced!

tldr:

Delexies referred me. I come from Satan's game of MTG. GF always beats me with Orange Goku Drill. She works at a shop that is starting a DBZ night. I like playing Trunks black beatdown. Questions attatched.

Welcome Twisted

Q1: Is going first better then going second like in MTG? 

Going first is better than going second. You are able to have a first chance of setting up and having first actions against your opponent. I.E. if I had a good starting hand that would be good for initiating combat against my opp. then I would enter while my opponent has a fear of drawing into setup/drill/allies. If my starting hand were all drills setups and allies then i'd be able to setup though imagine if my opponent had initiated combat while my hand was all setup/drill/allies, you would be in for a world of hurt. There are a ton of scenerios I could bring up but i'll spare you so you can face them yourself :D.

TL:Dr - Going first is better, +1 in hand first in most situations though it usually never determines the outcome of the game.

Q2: What are ways of handling Orange Goku Drill Decks?

If you want to make your GF mad, run 088-tPflyok.jpg

Unless it's the mill deck, where lookout drill would be helpful but you would really just want to run a bunch of beatdown cards and beat her down. You could also use the new black perceptive mastery which destroys setups and drills on hit.

Q3: What are some good black Trunks beat down cards?

Black defensive burst/ black energy web are usually staples. Black Swirl would be really good in trunks (first set MP) to call out cards that you manipulate. I'm also a fan of black capture.

Q4: What cards in evolution should I be looking out for?

Hard to tell on this one, i'll let someone else answer.

Thanks all in advanced!

Glad you found us!!

Always go first, card advantage is the worst case scenario of going first =^D

I like using Tree of Might and Combination Drill in my aggro decks. Run at least 2 Trees to account for removal. Use Heroic Plan to tutor for Tree.  Run Confrontation and Black Amusement Drill.  Use Amusement drill to set up Black Knee for finishing move. I suggest getting to level 2 or 3 and camping it. Best source i have found to date for trunks black is slime anger with Black Command. Then you can start using Command for endurance and banishing their discard pile.

If you are having issues will Mill, then lookout drill (which can be tutored into play with Tree of Might) is also a great option.

As far as Evolution cards:

Trunks got a new stack of MP cards so you can now mix and match them to create a stronger overall MP "Stack". You can mix and match older trunks with newer trunks. So that would be a first grab from Evolution if you like Trunks.  Right now most of us are in the brewing stage. So not too many powerhouse cards have been identified.

Welcome to the site, read up, ask questions, and come find us on OCTGN 

http://dbztoptier.com/forums/index.php/topic/236-play-the-dragon-ball-z-tcg-online-via-octgn-set-up-guide/

Just like everywhere in life, there are mean people on OCTGN, but there are a lot of us nice guys who will take the time to play slower and teach the game as we play. Just let your opponent know up front if you are unsure of your speed or skill level. =)

My username for everything is Delexies so come have some fun with us online, and welcome again!