Kadromar

New player/aspiring addict.

Hello lads and ladies,

My name's Alan, but Kadromar's my usual handle online circa 2003. Someone snaffled it on MTGO, but luckily the program's so awful that I never really felt the sting of that.

My global footprints are:

Born in Scotland,

moved to New Zealand,

moved to Australia,

lived in Japan on exchange,

back to Australia,

still in Australia.

Favourite colour is purple.

Sporting exploits were swimming and martial arts, we're in once upon a time territory here though. Now I just smash out weights at the gym.

I picked up DBZ thinking of it as a side-game to MTG; however, since that's growing stale with Wizards' constant sabotage of their best formats, DBZ has moved to equal footing. I am preparing a stack of MTG eternal playables and casual favourites to sell and soften the blow of DBZ buy in.

I am a little confused as to where the best place is to start with DBZ. I initially grabbed an Evo starter, pulled Vegeta and orange, then swore off them. This show of interest caught the eye of the local players. They comforted me over my misfortune in pulling Herogeta and I was quickly loaned a Namekian triple threat deck. The deck is very, very good, but I'm not sure it's the best to learn on as you don't get much of a feel for combat because you seldom enter and frequently have answers for everything. I think I'm alright at stacking for rejuv and that sort of thing now, but in learning which specifics need to be blocked I'm a bit off.

Anyway, off to bed for me. (then week 3 of DBZ at the LGS in the evening)

The real question that should be asked is " what is your favorite style of deck to play in Magic " because this makes the transition to DBZ much easier. For me I wouldn't suggest something like a hyper aggressive deck to someone who is used to playing Blue Counter everything in Magic

I mostly draft latelym, so I play everything. I'm so spiky you could call me cactus. I favour tempo, control and card advantage. I have assembled legacy Eldrazi, Death and Taxes and the cheap parts of delver. My pet deck is Enchantress, even though it's pretty lousy I love its synergistic nature. I completely ignore standard unless it's a particularly interesting meta. I avoid modern. It's such an aggro hugbox that cryptic command is a staple, rather than an unplayable-- I find it offensive. It was briefly pretty interesting while Treasure Cruise was legal. Modern had interaction for those few months. If I had to lock in for one colour it would be blue.

Black, Orange and Namekian all look like they tick most of my boxes. The incredible freestyle tools available really muddy the waters though. Every deck I have played, or played against, has a touch of Batman to it.

Thanks for the welcome, lads.

I am hopping off the Namekian Knowledge bus for now. The deck feels strong in many respects but it's not doing much for my combat sense. Borrowed an Orange Yamcha and it has a lot more in the way of sequencing to it than Namekian which has more or less been dumping crazy setups into play and juggling balls and milling them out.

Have arranged with the fanatics with multiple sweet decks to borrow one a week and I'll figure out how to play, and what I want to play, that way.

Since you like playing blue in magic I will suggest a Krillin Black Devious deck.

This deck uses the San Deigo Comic Con level 1 promo to control what your opponent does via getting a free critical damage effect when you ( or opponent ) uses a card effect to discard a card from hand during that combat. This pairs nicely with Black Devious Mastery which allows you to discard a card to banish bottom 2 from their discard pile, if its a black card they discard a card from their hand.

Then with that style of black Krillin the focus is removing threats from your opponent's deck with cards like Black Scout Maneuver and Black Searching Technique.

You then start winning by using Krillin's Destructo Disk which will do 5 life and 1 stage. Can't be stopped or prevented so you get a guaranteed critical damage effect from that ( except if they have out Orange Hiding Drill or Android 16 ally). Black Upward Dodge is even more nasty with Krillin's Destructo Disk, because it makes it 9 life and 1 stage. By the time you use that you're hitting for massive damage on their remaining deck.

Other key attacks in the deck are: Black Defensive Burst, Black Energy Web ( that one isn't always used in the krillin control deck ), Pesky Barrage, Playful Punch.

Pretty much what you want to do is get into combat, poke a couple times then get out of combat. People hate the deck because it ends combat so much, but how a lot of control players see it; you're forcing your opponent to play the game to your liking.

Blue Yamcha is up there with what I want to build early on. Especially since it's so cheap. Tag Team Ginyu looks great too, and only stands to get a bigger toolbox. Hidden Power Drill looks like quite a wrinkle to work out without being tag team though.