Stryyder

Cooler Revealed! - Blog post up

146 posts in this topic

Cooler revealed! Beckett got a half case from panini and decided to show off their pulls:

Cooler lvl 1
ABBCCCCCDDD
Pur 3
Constant: Players cannot use a Setup as their first action in Combat.
Power: You may discard an Energy Combat card from your hand to draw a card. If you do, destroy the top card of your opponent’s life deck. Rejuvenate 1

Cooler lvl 2
ABCCCCCDDEE
PUR 4
Constant: After taking damage that was not prevented, raise your anger 1 level.
Power: Phys Attack
Rejuvenate 2
Damage: 5 life cards
HIT: You may discard a card from your hand to draw a card.

Cooler lvl 3
ACCCDDDEEEF
Pur 5
(When you reach this level, search your banished zone for a card and rejuvenate it.)
Constant: after taking damage from an attack rejuvenate 1.
Power: Energy attack costing 2 stages.
Rejuvenate 2.
Damage: 6 life cards.

Cooler Lvl 4
ACCDDEEEFFF
Pur 6
(You may only use this cards non-constant power once per game.)
Constant – Whenever a player gains anger, rejuvenate 1.
Power: Lower your MP 1 level to rejuvenate 7 and end combat.

Major missed opportunity on Cooler's Supernova since they could've designed it to where it also counted as a Frieza Named card but it's not like we were going to get a new Level 1 to compensate for it.

Well, since you asked so panderingly...

Stomach Crusher would prevent you from using Cooler lvl 4's non-constant power entirely.  No level drop, no rejuv, nada.  Now if it just said "effects cannot end combat.", then you could use it for the level drop and rejuv but not end combat.  Since Crusher says the cards can't played or used, you are stuck.

Cooler is best on 3 so he'll be fine, especially in Red Enraged, where you can take full advantage of crits off of supernova. His MP stack can give aggressive strats needed rejuv, which makes automatically good, IMO. 

The way Cooler 4 is worded lines up with Cell's errata. I wonder if the Cell errata was always being discussed or Cooler was changed to be inline with Cell once the errata was decided.

The way Cooler 4 is worded lines up with Cell's errata. I wonder if the Cell errata was always being discussed or Cooler was changed to be inline with Cell once the errata was decided.

From what I've heard, it's the latter.

Edit: I've heard some devs were not happy with the Cell nerf because this set and Set 7 were designed to balance Cell's level 4. Just speculating, but we may see his nerf rolled back after Awakening.

Now the real question is if you have an awesome hand and are able to level bounce with Cooler in and out of level three, do you get to search for a card and rejuvenate it from the banish zone multiple times?

EDIT: cause all it says is when you reach this level. Will you be able to activate it leveling down from 4 to 3?

Now the real question is if you have an awesome hand and are able to level bounce with Cooler in and out of level three, do you get to search for a card and rejuvenate it from the banish zone multiple times?

EDIT: cause all it says is when you reach this level. Will you be able to activate it leveling down from 4 to 3?

I think they specifically worded it that way so you could do it when you advance or lower to that level. Hence why you can only use his level 4 once per game, because it would automatically trigger his level 3 parenthetical. Other cards like some of Roshi's levels say specifically "When you advance to this level".

From what I've heard, it's the latter.

Edit: I've heard some devs were not happy with the Cell nerf because this set and Set 7 were designed to balance Cell's level 4. Just speculating, but we may see his nerf rolled back after Awakening.

I do not like this design philosophy.  Two entire sets shouldn't be dedicated to countering one character.