WuhSawBe

Custom Playmat design, thoughts?

I've been working on a custom Piccolo Playmat that I was thinking of having inkedplaymats.com print up for me.  It's pretty well done, but I'm looking for feedback/thoughts, as I can't pick a favorite!  Before I begin, let me state a few things:

1- The image is small-sized, and low image quality so I don't cause ultra-slow load times, or break any large image posting rules.  The final product will be 300 dpi, crisp and clear!

2- There is a 1-inch border that will get cut off.  The Dragon Balls and AT table will essentially end up on the left side, in the top/bottom corners once printed, I roughly cropped the image just to give you a sense of it...

3- The Dragon Balls themselves will be used to track my anger.  I've got some custom Dragon Ball tokens I've been working on for use on this anger track, as well as to mark if I've used an MP power, remind me of effects in my discard pile, if I've initiated, etc.  Now, back to the anger, yes I've only gone to 5.  The main thought is that I shouldn't truly ever need a 6th ball vs blue, as once I hit 6 I just remove the token to reset.

4- I couldn't find a good, graphic AT table, so I had to make my own...

Anyways, here are the mats:

Mat 1-

dbzplaymat-HD.jpg

Basically, just a "clean version" of the mat..

Mat 2-

dbzplaymat-2-HD.jpg

Has the little Chibi Piccolo to utilize the dead space between the AT table and the Anger-tracking Dragon Balls...

Mat 3-

dbzplaymat-3-hd.jpg

Has a small fighting PIccolo graphic.  It's hard to tell on the smaller size, but he's casting shadows, and the idea is to create a little of interactivity with the AT table...

... thoughts?  I'm pretty torn, and decide on a favorite.  Since I have a "to scale" version on my computer, I may create some "to scale cards" just to see how all the cards are going to fit and work around the AT table and the other space.

-WuhSawBe-

I like the top one the best. And I LOVE the AT idea, but I would be scared that Panini would change it and make my playmat outdated haha.

Never thought of that! O.o

I could always fix and rework the table if need be down the road, print some type of stick-on thing, use a sharpie, or just pay the $25 to print a new one. Just hope it's not a once a year change! =p

Man, that's a kick in the Dragon Balls! The AT table was a majority of the reason for even doing the mat in the first place. I guess I could always just leave it off, and print out a custom piccolo themed AT table card to put in a card sleeve.

(The table took for flippin' ever to make too!)

Yeah, it looks great. But with a new set coming in February ish I would at least wait until that one since we're only a couple months away now (if I wanted it on the actual mat).

But it looks freaking cool. You did a nice job.

I think the top one is pretty awesome, even if it doesn't have the AT on it.  My good friend made a custom Vegeta playmat for me which is super awesome - he's my favorite character from the series, I always love the anti-hero :) - and I kind of wish I put some kind of anger tracking on it like yours.

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions everyone! It looks like I'll probably go with the first one, with the AT table removed. I may slightly increase the size of the anger-track on the side. Glad everyone liked it, and once again, thanks for the suggestions!

You could always go the washable marker route, as only the actual power level ranges are most likely the only things to change.  Write in what's current, wash the mat when you need to and change it.

I'm working on an app that'll do the tracking for you. I'd leave the AT/anger off the mat. I would also add a hint of the Panini zones to the playmat. I know you don't need them but it makes the mat look *for* PanZ. Also, it helps other players playing against you, or when you're showing someone how to play and they have to use the mat. Otherwise, it looks great. Really good selection of image.

On a technical note, make sure the image is at least 100 dpi, and that you allow about 1/4" of bleed at the edges.

I'm working on an app that'll do the tracking for you. I'd leave the AT/anger off the mat. I would also add a hint of the Panini zones to the playmat. I know you don't need them but it makes the mat look *for* PanZ. Also, it helps other players playing against you, or when you're showing someone how to play and they have to use the mat. Otherwise, it looks great. Really good selection of image.

On a technical note, make sure the image is at least 100 dpi, and that you allow about 1/4" of bleed at the edges.

Yep yep, it's 300 dpi, and I've got the bleed as well.  I cropped the image down to show the layout AFTER printing....

Perfect!

I'm going to try making my own. I had designs for one when I was in a TCG team a while back but we never organized enough to print team swag.

Never thought of that! O.o

I could always fix and rework the table if need be down the road, print some type of stick-on thing, use a sharpie, or just pay the $25 to print a new one. Just hope it's not a once a year change! =p

Once a year is about the average in regards to the power chart getting redone.

From the sound of it you weren't around for the original game. Original game went from 2000-2004. Each starter set saw a new chart get added. Near the end however the power level jumps got so crazy that Score actually did a new power chart for the Fusion Saga expansion. For the original game the power chart was revised five times before it was all said and done.

This is mainly off memory since I don't have old charts handy and really don't feel like hunting them down. Therefore it's bound to be wrong. That being said it should give a general idea of where each chart ended and the amount of power jump we saw set to set:

-Saiyan (20K)

-Trunks (1.5M)

-Cell (5M)

-World Games (5M, revision accounted for higher levels with less drop off)

-Buu (7M)

-Fusion (11.6M)

This isn't even counting the two charts done for GT which was all kinds of over the top (16 power levels per level, PURs hitting up to 9, power levels in the 20 millions, GOKU WITH A LEVEL SIX PERSONALITY CARD!)

There was even a card printed in one of the sets around the time of Buu that swapped the power chart to a scrambled chart.

If you're curious here the final chart and the scrambled chart can be found here:

http://retrodbzccgcom.fatcow.com/rules

At this point we have no idea exactly how Panini is going to react in regards to power chart revisions. I have heard rumors that SSG Goku was essentially a test run to see if keeping the same power chart for the whole game is viable. However until the next starter set is officially out all we can do is speculate and assume chart revisions are going to eventually become a thing again.

Enigma, yeah my OldZ experience was pretty limited. I played for about 1 set, and that was about it, so I never dealt with more than one chart.

As far as progress goes:

I've gone back and made a few minor changes to the layout. Essentially, I took off the AT table, and flipped the image to be oriented on the left side, since my deck/discard/banished area always ends up on the right side. I've made the AT Table into a custom card. The next step will be deciding on if I want to personalize the mat a bit more with my gamer tag and/or motto...

I like the top one the best. And I LOVE the AT idea, but I would be scared that Panini would change it and make my playmat outdated haha.

My thoughts exactly.

I might be nitpicky about the positioning if I were you, I can't quite tell if his hand is centered but it's bothering me.