Stryyder

Pokemon Go is live!

So, the flood has begun.  I'm sure it was in the millions, but tons of people downloaded Pokémon Go last night, probably one of the most anticipated apps of all time.

Honestly, I had no idea what to expect from it and I really haven't gotten to the meat of the app, but here's what I have so far:

*Your trainer appears in a map of your area, so it has an integrated map prog.

*You can pick up items at "poke stops" (I'm guessing this is the free way to get items, as opposed to doling out cash, I haven't gone to one yet).  These are at various landmarks.  If you see one on your map and tap it, it will actually show a picture of the site (there are several near me, the closest about a block away at the neighborhood park).

*Gyms appear as well, a little bit less frequently.  I had about 6 poke stops in my neighborhood, but only 2 Gyms in about a 2 mile radius.  So they are still plentiful, but take more travel.  You cannot go to a gym until you get to level 5.  After beating a Gym you can station a team there to gain you coins by beating other trainers.

*The game includes the original 151 pokemon so far.

*You choose Bulbasaur, Squirtle or Charmander as your first pokemon.

*Catching pokemon nets you "Stardust" and "________ Candy", specific to each pokemon "i.e. Charmander Candy" which is what lets you level up or evolve your pokemon.  This means it is required to catch multiple of the same pokemon to evolve one.  For pidgey you get 3 pidgey candy when you catch it.  You can either spend 1 candy and 100 stardust to level up your pidgey or spend 25 pidgey candy to evolve it.  You may transfer extra pokemon to the professor (i.e. delete them) and he will give you 1 candy for doing so.  So catching 7 pidgey will give you enough candy to evolve one of them.  Some pokemon are harder to evolve.  I've heard rumor that Magikarp takes around 300 candy to evolve.

*Eggs can be obtained from Poke Stops.  To hatch them you must have the app open while walking or else the pedometer won't count your steps.

*PROTIP: If you spend money on the app at all, do not buy common items like pokeballs or potions.  Incense and Lures are the rare items.

*PROTIP: Buy a spare battery.  Much of the stuff that happens when you walk around ONLY when the phone is on an the app is running (not running in the background).  This will drain your battery SEVERELY.  Drop the $10-20 and get a spare USB battery.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I have so far.  I ended up catching a pidgey, Ekans and Zubat in my house and another pidgey at my office.  There seems to also be Eevee and magmar near my office.  I'm looking forward to exploring more of the app and seeing what else it can do.

I love the concept. My biggist issue is that that retain stats like in the DS games. Watching the show, a pikachu can take down a freaking onyx.if this game made it so your pokemon had a balancing for stats it would be perfect.

If i were a legit trainer, I'd use bugs and poison types all day long. Yet no what Beedrill will always suck major primate-balls.

I am glad to see someone give a good explanation on how this works, I haven't seen one yet. I will definitely download it later. Just a heads up to everyone it apparently SLAYS your battery and they are working on a patch.

Not sure yet.  Seems to be just at gyms so far, and I'm not high enough level yet.  Got some new info:

When a Gym is beat, it looks like you can take it over and upload your pokemon to defend it (you don't lose the pokemon, from what I gather), this gets you gold coins.

PROTIP: if you are the kind to spend money on an app, DO NOT spend it on pokeballs and such, as those are given out pretty freely at Poke Stops.  Incense and Lures are the rare items in this game.

Eggs can be obtained from Poke stops.  In order to hatch eggs (or get the traveling achievement) you must have the app open while walking or it doesn't count your steps.

PROTIP: Get a backup battery pack/USB battery.  Players of Niantic's previous offering, Ingress, are well acquainted with this, but basically having to keep the app open and using high accuracy GPS kills your battery.  I picked up one a while back for Conventions pretty cheap, $10-20.

More on Gyms:

When you find a Gym you can do a few things:

If unclaimed: Claim it for your team.

If claimed by your team: Set one of your team to defend it or train at it to earn prestige for your team.

If claimed by another team: battle them to reduce their prestige.

Also, there is a small tutorial in the setting menu and a "power save" feature.

I was in the Beta for this game and to save you some battery power if you turn your phone upside down (Top end facing you instead of away from you) the screen will go dark and it will vibrate when a pokemon is near you.  Battling is more of a live action where you can swipe the screen to have your pokemon dodge and you have to choose the attack.  Gyms are weird as you leave your pokemon there I don't really like it.

So frustrating. There's a gym 2 minutes from me that some scrub with a CP 88 Eevee is chilling at. I'm trying to go wreck him with my CP 417 Scyther but the server won't stay up. Ugh. :\

He's right ya know... You never know when Team Rocket will show up...

Gimme your Pokemon! And your wallet! And your shoes!

**Hey Shoryuu, good to see your avatar has grown some arms! I was wondering how you were doin them fancy uppercuts!

Well, we already have our first negative story.  Kid got stabbed/killed in a bad neighborhood trying to catch something, just because they wanted his iphone.

Shit.... poor guy. Just wanted a Hitmonlee, instead got hitmonyoustabbed.

Seriously though i feel bad for the kid.