LordAsterion

Let's Talk Heavy Metal....

I'm a huge fan of metal, and would like to use this thread as a way for people to introduce their favorite bands, and also learn about other bands that are out there!

Right now, I would recommend anyone who is a fan of progressive metal to check out Caligula's Horse's new album "Bloom". So many good songs, and the lead singer's voice soars!

Yo! Big metal head here. I will admit I don't know 90% of the new stuff out there I kind of stick to the classics and what I like.

Big fan of CombiChrist, FFDP, Nightwish, and Dream Theater aside from all the classics.

Yo! Big metal head here. I will admit I don't know 90% of the new stuff out there I kind of stick to the classics and what I like.

Big fan of CombiChrist, FFDP, Nightwish, and Dream Theater aside from all the classics.

Dude, the bands I can show you, will blow your mind!

I'm into quite a few genres, however I find the current trend of dividing overall genres into 20 billion subgenres stupid an infuriating.  As such, I don't really know anymore what counts as "heavy metal".

Overall though, I'll parrot Shoryu on Nightwish, saw them in concert for their last 2 tours.  I personally prefer Annette Olzon's presence and voice, but Floor Jansen brings a bit of the best of her and Tarja to the band, so I'm still a fan of hers.  All in all, Tuomas's writing and style is some of my favorite music out there.

Other than that, I'm old school with Styx, mid-school with Hoobastank, and about everywhere else.  If I hear a good song, I'll download it.

I have so many favorite bands that I could not list them all... so I'll just list a few.

-Archspire

-Megadeth

-Warbringer

-Opeth

-The Human Abstract

-Protest the Hero

-Black Tide

-Iron Maiden

-Periphery

-Drewsif Stalin

-System of a Down

-Meshuggah

-Black Sabbath

-Heaven and Hell

-Carnifex

-Corelia

-Divine Heresy

-Fear Factory

-Infant Annihilator

-Cannibal Corpse

... and the list can go on. I listen to all kinds of music and metal just so happens to be one of my favorites. There are soo many more bands that need to be this list...

I have so many favorite bands that I could not list them all... so I'll just list a few.

-Archspire

-Megadeth

-Warbringer

-Opeth

-The Human Abstract

-Protest the Hero

-Black Tide

-Iron Maiden

-Periphery

-Drewsif Stalin

-System of a Down

-Meshuggah

-Black Sabbath

-Heaven and Hell

-Carnifex

-Corelia

-Divine Heresy

-Fear Factory

-Infant Annihilator

-Cannibal Corpse

... and the list can go on. I listen to all kinds of music and metal just so happens to be one of my favorites. There are soo many more bands that need to be this list...

It's great that you like Opeth, I was going to recommend them to everyone on here.

Opeth albums to check out:

My Arms, Your Hearse

Still Life

Blackwater Park

I'm into quite a few genres, however I find the current trend of dividing overall genres into 20 billion subgenres stupid an infuriating.  As such, I don't really know anymore what counts as "heavy metal".

Overall though, I'll parrot Shoryu on Nightwish, saw them in concert for their last 2 tours.  I personally prefer Annette Olzon's presence and voice, but Floor Jansen brings a bit of the best of her and Tarja to the band, so I'm still a fan of hers.  All in all, Tuomas's writing and style is some of my favorite music out there.

Other than that, I'm old school with Styx, mid-school with Hoobastank, and about everywhere else.  If I hear a good song, I'll download it.

There are many sub-genres, but in the end they are all, "Heavy Metal".

It's great that you like Opeth, I was going to recommend them to everyone on here.

Opeth albums to check out:

My Arms, Your Hearse

Still Life

Blackwater Park

Blackwater park, Watershed, and Ghost Reveries are my favorite albums from Opeth. Each one has a special moment in my life. I've also seen Opeth live twice. One of the best bands live I have ever seen perform live.

Blackwater park, Watershed, and Ghost Reveries are my favorite albums from Opeth. Each one has a special moment in my life. I've also seen Opeth live twice. One of the best bands live I have ever seen perform live.

Ghost Reveries is excellent too, favorite track, "Harlequin Forest".

I've yet to see them, you lucky dog!

I wish I could pick a favorite track from their entire discography. It's impossible for me. "Bleak" from the Blackwater Park album and "Heir Apparent" from the Watershed album are among the songs that I can listen to over and over and never get tired of them.

I wish I could pick a favorite track from their entire discography. It's impossible for me. "Bleak" from the Blackwater Park album and "Heir Apparent" from the Watershed album are among the songs that I can listen to over and over and never get tired of them.

"The Leper Affinity" OMG!

Megadeth is numero uno.

Black Sabbath

The Sword

Anthrax

Testament

Exodus

Metallica

Buckethead (heavy metal sometimes)

Motörhead

Dream Theater

Probably more I can't think of right now.

I am so jelly you saw them live Stryyder. They came to my neck of the woods a couple years ago and i still regret not being able to see them :(

I am ashamed I forgot SOAD. They are one of those bands that got me through troubled times when I was younger, particularly high school.

Yeah, the first time was a last minute decision to go see them kick of their US tour for Imaginarium.  A buddy got groupon tickets for $11 each and we just couldn't say no.  One of the last shows at the Gibson in Universal City before they tore it down to make the new Harry Potter attractions.  One of those shows you walk out of wishing you could walk right back in and see the EXACT show over again.

I'm not much into the constant speed drum stuff like DragonForce, but another alternative I enjoy (more rhythmic diversity, which is a big thing for me) is Masterplan.

Not big on Caligula's Horse personally. I see them all the time as a support act and their stuff, while good, is all so similar I can't love them.

My top Australian picks right now would be Ne Obliviscaris, Plini, DVSR. Each is unique and left of centre.

I listen so widely that it's kinda pointless to knock my head and see what falls out.

but without doubling up on (m)any...

Dir en grey,

Envy,

Boris HEAVY ROCKS,

TesseracT,

Chimp Spanner,

Devin Townsend Project,

Strapping Young Lad,

Between the Buried and Me,

Hacktivist,

Deafheaven,

Three Trapped Tigers,

Porcupine Tree,

Godspeed! You Black Emperor,

Brocas Helm,

Intronaut,

The Mars Volta,

Means End,

Killswitch Engage,

Skyharbor,

Mastodon

My faves:

Razor

Morbid

Death

Exumer

Bolt Thrower

Sarcasm

Cryptic Slaughter

Nocturnal

Excel

Judas Priest

Slayer

Nuclear Assault

Vio-lence

King Diamond

Venom

Dio

Also, I'm not a huge huge fan of progressive metal. I'm enjoy Black and Thrash a little more.

I am a fan of Metalocalypse, but I prefer clean vocals over cookie monster stuff mostly. I can't make out lyrics in screams towards the Whitechapel end of the spectrum. Not to say I can't enjoy things in spite of the vocals. Periphery spring immediately to mind on that front. Dethklok makes me feel like I'm missing jokes, though they're probably no funnier than most metal lyrics anyway.

I am a big fan of King Diamond and Mercyful Fate. Super fun, and I love concept albums.

There aren't really jokes per say in most of the songs (I say most because some lines are pretty funny) and I am pretty crap at hearing the super Christian Bale Batman lyrics myself lol But I just like how they are a parody of the stereotypical Metal band down to a T. I know a lot of metalheads HATE them and idk if that's cause they aren't in on the joke, or if it just hits too close to home lol