Blake Eastman

READ: Yu Yu Hakusho CCG reboot

Just a personal opinion, but I believe the biggest problem with the game, through set 6, is the abundance of energy gaining cards.  The constant "gain energy - play cards - gain energy - play cards", for me, took away from the basic premise of the game as a team based fight.  With cards that dealt damage to the sideline, or the one where you immediate lost the current match (was it "Unconscious"?) made it easy to jump out of an unfavorable match up to get into a heavily favored one with a headstart.  You could easily complete 2-3 matches in one turn without a single attack.

I had a radical rule change idea late into the game, but when it went downhill I didn't really follow through with testing it.  And that was to make a "charge up" step, similar to the power up step in DBZ.  take all energy gain effects that are "main" and give them a new trigger like "Channel".  Add a "Channel" step right before the main phase so that players can only gain spirit energy then and it caps what they can use during their turn.  This would also give Team Urameshi more balanced and strategic gameplay with their card that lets them gain more than 10.  I always thought it was lame that they got that ability, but then ANY team could just gradually gain tons of energy during the turn as long as they used it little by little.

Anyway, just one small change I would have made.  Honestly, it's been so long since I've played, I'm not sure about specific card erratas or bans I'd make, until I go back in and play around with it some more.

Just a personal opinion, but I believe the biggest problem with the game, through set 6, is the abundance of energy gaining cards.  The constant "gain energy - play cards - gain energy - play cards", for me, took away from the basic premise of the game as a team based fight.  With cards that dealt damage to the sideline, or the one where you immediate lost the current match (was it "Unconscious"?) made it easy to jump out of an unfavorable match up to get into a heavily favored one with a headstart.  You could easily complete 2-3 matches in one turn without a single attack.

I had a radical rule change idea late into the game, but when it went downhill I didn't really follow through with testing it.  And that was to make a "charge up" step, similar to the power up step in DBZ.  take all energy gain effects that are "main" and give them a new trigger like "Channel".  Add a "Channel" step right before the main phase so that players can only gain spirit energy then and it caps what they can use during their turn.  This would also give Team Urameshi more balanced and strategic gameplay with their card that lets them gain more than 10.  I always thought it was lame that they got that ability, but then ANY team could just gradually gain tons of energy during the turn as long as they used it little by little.

Anyway, just one small change I would have made.  Honestly, it's been so long since I've played, I'm not sure about specific card erratas or bans I'd make, until I go back in and play around with it some more.

Ahh so much info to sink in! lol. Well no better time to dig into the game again, then when I release this plugin eh?

Some buddies and I have dug out our old collections and been playing for the last month or so.  We have only been playing with sets 1-3 for balance purposes because some cards got way too ridiculous plus we also found a box of set 3 at a comic book store. We have had a lot of fun and will probably add some set 4 cards such as Yusuke the raver and some other stuff that we will start discussing after some more time.  I am a big fan of the game mechanics and simplicity of game play but has enough complexity to stay entertaining.  

This was my favorite game.  I loved DBZ, and the original star wars CCG, but the thing I liked most about those was the property it was associated with.  I started playing Hakusho before I'd even seen any of the show, because they demoed the game to us when we judged a stop on the DBZ hummer tour in Franklin, TN and I fell in love with the game mechanics.  I played it all the way through the end of the game, had a fun time at worlds.  And if MetaX winds up to be the YYH engine (which is the best thing they've got), they can have all my disposable income.  And of course, I am also anxiously awaiting a lackey plugin for this.

22 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

I never thought of that... I would be totally down for that ngl

Same here. Z or Yu Yu Engine I'm good for. I just don't want another Magic clone.

1 hour ago, Stryyder said:

I don't really doubt they can get an interesting game design, but as far as hyping the game, I'm a bit dubious.

That's why you open with a license like DC. People will pick up the card game based entirely on that whether they realize or not that it's a multiverse not limited to DC.

On 25/02/2017 at 8:06 AM, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Or fucking Force of Will

IMO, Force of Will just needed some small edits to the rule set and much, much better designers to be good. As someone who had enough of it after one block:

Rid the game of the continuous asinine belief that Rulers can't be generic and stop the detrimental 4-5 new archetypes every set, make the Stone deck more randomised to punish 'Good things from 3-5 colours.dek' or restrict Rulers with a colour identity ala Commander and make them multicoloured normally, depower the game as a whole and it's good to go.

Of course this would never happen, the 12 people at the company are collectively moronic. Panini Sets 2-4 bad.

1 hour ago, Artificial Human said:

IMO, Force of Will just needed some small edits to the rule set and much, much better designers to be good. As someone who had enough of it after one block:

Rid the game of the continuous asinine belief that Rulers can't be generic and stop the detrimental 4-5 new archetypes every set, make the Stone deck more randomised to punish 'Good things from 3-5 colours.dek' or restrict Rulers with a colour identity ala Commander and make them multicoloured normally, depower the game as a whole and it's good to go.

Of course this would never happen, the 12 people at the company are collectively moronic. Panini Sets 2-4 bad.

I just really meant that in so far as every CCG seems to be either a Magic of FoW clone the same way a few years ago everything was either a Magic or YGO clone

I miss the late 90s/early 00s boom of games.  So many different ideas, not all of them good, but most of them innovative.  We've gotten into the rut where everyone wants to just copy what works for a quick payday.  As an uncommon Mike Shinoda quote "Once you have a blueprint of how the thing works, everybody wants the next thing to be just like the first".

And to be fair, set 3 DBZ was a pretty good step, it just got destroyed when Set 4 didn't continue the precident.

On 01/03/2017 at 5:49 AM, Stryyder said:

I miss the late 90s/early 00s boom of games.  So many different ideas, not all of them good, but most of them innovative.  We've gotten into the rut where everyone wants to just copy what works for a quick payday.  As an uncommon Mike Shinoda quote "Once you have a blueprint of how the thing works, everybody wants the next thing to be just like the first".

And to be fair, set 3 DBZ was a pretty good step, it just got destroyed when Set 4 didn't continue the precident.

I want to say nice things about 3 too, especially in regards to Red, but I don't think the MPs were good enough, especially in retrospect, and Saiyan, as per norm, was Over Balanced.

Still weird Set 2 was probably the best to Saiyan and is considered a dud by and large.