The Bear

DBZ Figure-Rise Model Kits

54 posts in this topic

Saw this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Saiyan-Version-Figure-rise-Standard/dp/B01HZ6Q9QU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474305577&sr=8-2&keywords=gohan+model+kit

Does anyone have one of these/know anything about them? It looks like it should be comparable to MG gunpla kits (in size if not necessarily building time) but only comes with 6 runners?

Anyways, if anyone knows anything about these (stock quality without detailing, ease of construction, posability, etc) let me know! Otherwise, you'll see a review in a few months anyway!

So it's thread necro time.

The first line of Figure Rise is out, consisting of Goku, Frieza, Cell and Gohan, With Golden Frieza and Goku Blue coming next month and recently announced Frieza-in-hoverchair at the beginning of 2017.  I picked up the Frieza last week while I was in Japan, cost is only $20-30ea for them over there.

Overall quality is really good.  Very detailed with minimal decals.  Comes with a few energy blasts, plus extra bits to be able to use generic figure stands with them easily.  One of the most important things with recent models is articulation.  Frieza has double pin joints at the elbows and knees for full flex from straight 180 to about 20degrees.  The feet, hands, head, hips and shoulders are ball jointed for rotation and pivot.  As well, there is a small ball joint where the shoulder socket connects, just behind the pectorals, which allows the socket to pivot outward, essentially allowing the shoulder to flex forward and away from the back. (Think of it like when you cross your arms and grab your shoulders, they kind of roll forward and inward, compressing your chest together.)  It also came with an extra head with an alternate expression.

Great quality for the price.  Really hoping for a couple specific characters.

The Bear likes this

Awesome! I've been meaning to pick one up but have been finishing the detailing on a MS Gouf and have a PG Char's Zaku II waiting to be built.  After I'm done with those I plan on picking up the Gohan kit.

Awesome! I've been meaning to pick one up but have been finishing the detailing on a MS Gouf and have a PG Char's Zaku II waiting to be built.  After I'm done with those I plan on picking up the Gohan kit.

I am working on a Raiser, and Kamen Rider Drive kit atm and wanted to pick up the Goku when I could. would like to get frieza too and pose a badass mural on my desk.

really wish they made Jojo kits...

My fiancee got me the Gohan kit for Christmas!  I was trying to post some photos but couldn't quite figure it out :/

The kit is on the easier side, so new builders should have no problem with it.  Construction of all parts took a little under two hours to complete.  The model is easily posable and flexible; a stand is recommended as it is sometimes tough to get the kit to balance on its legs in some poses (plus aerial poses are awesome anyway).  The arms flex out of the body to make posing easier (especially the Kamehameha charging pose).  Some parts of the model are weak and can break if handled roughly; on mine the only part that broke was the stand for the energy bursts/beams. The piece of hair farthest back has some trouble staying on at times and may need to be glued.

Overall, it was fun to build and pose.  The kits are priced perfectly for what you get (generally $20-25).

Favorite part: building the faces.  The faces are made up of a (mostly) flat green piece that has a white piece and yellow piece layered over it before adding the face.  The result is that two nubs on the green piece make up the pupils, the white part his eyes, and the yellow part for eyebrows. It made me really appreciate the ingenuity of the designers.

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

15940957_3526814414406_85417310470905036

Then energy aura kits compliment the figure very well.  I wanted yellow initially but went with blue since all of the energy blasts that came with the Gohan kit were blue for the kamehameha.

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

I am far to busy with gundams to work on these. Plus i don't like joints on human models. I finally fixed my airbrush and being as Z is dead, my friends found a Skirmmish gsme that uses 144 models. Time to paint a Zeon platoon in a matching color scheme..... except the leader, Johnny Ridden :P

I am far to busy with gundams to work on these. Plus i don't like joints on human models. I finally fixed my airbrush and being as Z is dead, my friends found a Skirmmish gsme that uses 144 models. Time to paint a Zeon platoon in a matching color scheme..... except the leader, Johnny Ridden :P

Agree with you on the joints of human model kits; the joints in the legs look goofy on the Gohan model but the elbow joints were done very well.  On the Gohan model the arm and leg socket areas feel like the weakest. The size of the figure complicates posing as well; I could see someone easily breaking a joint by being careless.

I ordered the Perfect Cell kit a week or so ago.  The joints look alot better on the Cell model in the pictures because he's not human or wearing clothes. I'll post a report after it comes in and gets built.

The aura kit is awesome and was quick to take off the runners and start playing with.  It offers an arm that can attach to the figure or can be customized with extra brackets to allow for more creative freedom with the aura parts.  I haven't played around with it too much yet.  I'm might try installing an LED in the base (the aura kit comes with a clear hexagonal base) to see if it lights up the kit effectively; I'll post pictures when/if this happens.

yeah, that one is pretty much perfect, I'll be tempted if I see it at a con.  Still waiting for a character that ISN'T Goku/Gohan/Vegeta or one of the main villains.

Wow I saved the listed for the Vegeta Saiyan Space Pod one because I'm gonna buy that eventually.

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Figure-Rise-Mechanics-Building/dp/B01JLFUZ40/ref=pd_sim_21_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3R23NRTND0AEC4E7HWS0

If the Vegeta figure wasn't fixed-position this would be alot cooler.  Not sure why it costs twice as much as the other kits.

A lot more pieces.  No they don't need pivot points for the character, but all the different colors are still different pieces, as these are generally no-paint kits.  But really, that pod is amazing looking.

Yeah I loooooove the pod. It is a bummer about the fixed position vegeta. I'm also gonna be getting that SSJ Vegeta whenever it's out (is it out already?) lol