The Bear

DBZ Figure-Rise Model Kits

Just bought the Vegeta pod!!!

Anybody who has put them together, do they require any glue, etc?

No glue, all parts are snap together. However, if you end up building the thing and some joints are loose, what you do is take the joint apart and apply super glue to the ball part of the joint (not the socket). Then, allow it to dry completely before lightly sanding the part. The additional glue will make the join tighter when reassembled.

No glue, all parts are snap together. However, if you end up building the thing and some joints are loose, what you do is take the joint apart and apply super glue to the ball part of the joint (not the socket). Then, allow it to dry completely before lightly sanding the part. The additional glue will make the join tighter when reassembled.

Great tip! They're out of stock until Jan 29, and I should get it Feb 1. I will post some pics when I get it completed if I can

Got the Vegeta and Saiyan Space Pod on Sunday! A lot of fun putting it together with the kid.

Only complaints for anyone buying it, the pod pieces don't fit together flush in most places. It looks great from the front, but there are considerable gaps on the back of the pod and the sides. I tried to minimize them by trimming excess plastic but that wasn't really the issue, so I wasn't sure what else to do.

I will post pics if I can figure out how to get that to work without having to create a profile on an image host just for these lol

Finished my Cell kit last week.  Overall, I'd say it was a more interesting kit to put together than the Gohan kit.  The coolest part of the model is that the spots on cell are a separate piece that gets layered under the light green shell.  The joints on the model are done better than on the Gohan kit and this is due to Cell not being a human (as an example the joints are much easier to do for an alien like cell than for a character wearing pants like Gohan).

The quality of the kit is really nice considering the kit only costs about $20-25.

Slops: the "smirk" face for Cell is poorly done and looks derpy.  The closed fist pieces for Cell are poorly molded (from a top-down perspective) and should have been more detailed (contrast with Gohan's hands).

@MoT - cant wait to see the pics of the Vegeta ship kit!  The easiest way I have found is to put the pics on facebook, open the pic, right click and select "copy image location" and paste in the Image URL box.

16195679_3555034759897_63663598356295483

Saw Pod Vegeta, Gohan, Cell, SS Goku, SS3 Goku and Kid Buu at a con this weekend, but didn't pick any of them up.  Would prefer other characters.  They look pretty good though.  Almost got the SS3, but Figma LBW Link won out.

Finished my Cell kit last week.  Overall, I'd say it was a more interesting kit to put together than the Gohan kit.  The coolest part of the model is that the spots on cell are a separate piece that gets layered under the light green shell.  The joints on the model are done better than on the Gohan kit and this is due to Cell not being a human (as an example the joints are much easier to do for an alien like cell than for a character wearing pants like Gohan).

The quality of the kit is really nice considering the kit only costs about $20-25.

Slops: the "smirk" face for Cell is poorly done and looks derpy.  The closed fist pieces for Cell are poorly molded (from a top-down perspective) and should have been more detailed (contrast with Gohan's hands).

@MoT - cant wait to see the pics of the Vegeta ship kit!  The easiest way I have found is to put the pics on facebook, open the pic, right click and select "copy image location" and paste in the Image URL box.

16195679_3555034759897_63663598356295483

Whoooaa Cell looks pretty sweet!

Also, I don't have FB lol :) the pics are on my phone, and I'll see what I can do when I get home from work tonight.

Hey everyone. Sorry, best solution I had was sharing a folder link to Google Drive. As you can see like I said the pod pieces didn't fit together well and there are gaps in the back, but overall a solid kit.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9E8Vr39NkqXR2hzVXZfLUluNkk

I went to a gundam build gathering this weekend and someone's girlfriend was building the spacepod. In person it is pretty sweet.

@MoT: it looks like yours just needs some inner parts sanded down to make it all fit. If you don't want to paint it, I recommend using at least a Gundam Marker fine tip, black or gray colour, and go through the pods groves with it. A single panel line with a marker like that can do wonders. It's also easy for anyone to, compaired to what i do with thinning enemel black paint and cautiously stroking it in :P

@Bear: the cell model looks neat. If you covered the seam lines around the face I think it would look grand. That however requires some painting

I went to a gundam build gathering this weekend and someone's girlfriend was building the spacepod. In person it is pretty sweet.

@MoT: it looks like yours just needs some inner parts sanded down to make it all fit. If you don't want to paint it, I recommend using at least a Gundam Marker fine tip, black or gray colour, and go through the pods groves with it. A single panel line with a marker like that can do wonders. It's also easy for anyone to, compaired to what i do with thinning enemel black paint and cautiously stroking it in :P

@Bear: the cell model looks neat. If you covered the seam lines around the face I think it would look grand. That however requires some painting

I debated doing panel lines and cover up (or the equivalent) on this model and the Gohan model, but I'm not sure it would look good.  I am seriously considering doing a flat coat on both models (sans Gohan's hair/eyebrows) because the models both look too plastic-y up close.

Cover up would probably look good but requires some work.  From what I know, I could fill the seam with super glue and then sand to finish, but with Gundam this is typically performed before final painting/top coat.  If I do a top coat I may as well take the time to finish the seams.  If you've done this before could you offer some advice/tips?

One thing I wish this model series had that the old DBZ models had was the dynamic muscles or whatever they were called.  Basically, when a part like the elbow was flexed there is a lever in the arm that causes the bicep to flex out as well.  Would have been cool if they had improved upon the design with these models.

http://gamerabaenre.com

This guy has won national compitions for models a d has been to Gunpla Worlds at least twice sense i started to fallow him. He also has a FB page with other world invite modelers. They are a super nice crew and willing to help noobs.

His waybto hide seamlines is to use superglue and a binderclip to hlld it together while the glue fuses the parts. I however use Green Stuff Putty (which is like a glazing putty) or Contour Putty in the seams a s press it, let it dry, and sand it. My reasoning is because doing it his way i resulted in snapping a Megaman model part and the glue shot into my eye. Also super glue is a bitch to paint.

If you want to panel line gohan, i would take some paint of a darker skin tone and brush it along his muscle groves. After that if you are going to top coat it, a dru brush of regualr skin tone would work. If you are airbrishing it, just thin the darker tone down and lightly brush it in the groves. I recommend doing this after your first top coat. I would also use a different type of paint as your top coat so you can safly clean up. So, as an example

Base coat - lacquer/enemel

Topcoat - lacquer/enemel

Panel line - opposite of what the top coat is

Final topcoat - i prefer enemel because it is the most durable.

A little too labor intensive for me, but good advice for those wanting more fine detail in the models :P I was just pointing those out for anyone wanting to purchase the kit as a precaution, or warning to expect to do that kind of extra legwork to get it to fit perfectly.

I think the next one I'd buy is the SSJ3 Goku. Until they come out with another non-DB Super Vegeta :)

A little too labor intensive for me, but good advice for those wanting more fine detail in the models :P I was just pointing those out for anyone wanting to purchase the kit as a precaution, or warning to expect to do that kind of extra legwork to get it to fit perfectly.

I think the next one I'd buy is the SSJ3 Goku. Until they come out with another non-DB Super Vegeta :)

To be fair, sometimes kids just have an extra bit of plastic on them, so it could just the one you have. As well, it could simply be a stub from the tree it came one. The one i saw Saturday was a straight build and had no issues

So this weekend I did something fun. Just to kinda showcase that i do in fact know what I am talking about

I started with a foxhole in a hill that a Zaku was shot down in. It has sense filled with water. My picture isn't the best but the Zaku has bullet holes, rust, and there is a really cool look to the plants i planted under the water.

rW2n7RU.jpg

I haven't delved too far into customizing, but a Gundam fine point (or standard micron pen) in the panel lines and a quick wipe of the excess with a paper towel did wonders for the ones I've worked on.  Still debating pulling the trigger on the pod.

14 hours ago, Kurt said:

Do you have to paint these? Interested in picking one up.

No paint or glue is needed for assembly.  These models are relatively simple to build and articulate.  My only warning is that some pieces are weak and fragile, so be a little careful when you are moving the kit around.

After seeing how Kid Buu's leg joints were handled I'm wondering why they didn't use this style with Gohan's leg joints as it looks infinitely better.

Saw Kid Boo at the local pop culture store the other day. Look amazing,  but the price was astronomocal for the size it is. Similar sized Gundams are half the price.

I can't imagine they've got Master Grade complexity to justify the price.

Going to check if my local hobby shop has them at a more normal price. 

On 4/8/2017 at 9:41 AM, Artificial Human said:

Saw Kid Boo at the local pop culture store the other day. Look amazing,  but the price was astronomocal for the size it is. Similar sized Gundams are half the price.

I can't imagine they've got Master Grade complexity to justify the price.

Going to check if my local hobby shop has them at a more normal price. 

Kid Buu was like $20 on Amazon last I checked.  You're absolutely right too, the DBZ models are nowhere near as complex as MG gundams.