manoftomorrow010

DBZ's best moments from CBR.com

I think the subject has been beat to death so much that it's just fluff people type up when they have nothing better to write an article on.  I love watching DBZ, but lets be honest, there are BARELY 10 moments that COULD be considered "best".  Really, there are only 4 main storylines (Saiyans, Frieza, Android/Cell, Majin Buu)

There are 3 on this list that are missing and should replace at least 10th 9th and 8th....

• Gohan vs Buu "Fight you? No. I wanna kill you!"
  • Goku's Final Spirit Bomb 
  • Father Son Kamehameha

All of these are better than Goku and Piccolo driving, Its over 9000 and the Ginyu force

I think the subject has been beat to death so much that it's just fluff people type up when they have nothing better to write an article on.  I love watching DBZ, but lets be honest, there are BARELY 10 moments that COULD be considered "best".  Really, there are only 4 main storylines (Saiyans, Frieza, Android/Cell, Majin Buu)

They wrote a couple articles cause it's 20 years this year since DBZ was released in NA. It's not just pulled out of thin air, but i see your point.

Ok, I finally caved and took a deeper look.  and I have MANY problems with this list:

10. Death of Goku - yeah ok, it was impactful.  However less so after he came back, then died again, then came back again.

9. The Ginyu Force - that's not a moment, that's group of characters....Anyway, yeah, I liked them.  They were fun to watch.

8. Driving School - Really?  In a series with tons of fights, heroes finding strength in their bonds of love and friendship and overcoming evil time and again you picked a filler episode that was mildly amusing as one of the 10 best moments?  pass.

7. Over 9000 - This wasn't a moment.  This was an innocuous statement that was blown out of proportion by a bad dubbing choice (and a typo as well).  Again, not a greatest moment for DBZ.

6. Perfect Cell - Umm...technically a character not a "moment" but I guess "when Cell went perfect" could be a moment, but I think when he came back from his suicide explosion and was still perfect was more impactful, as it showed that Goku sacrificed himself for nothing.

5. Vegeta's Sacrifice - FINALLY we actually have a MOMENT that is definitely one of the best.  This was such great character development for Vegeta and should have been at least in the top 3.

4. Future Trunks - So why is it this list can't find actual MOMENTS and has to go with characters?  Yes, FT is awesome, we all know that.  But I can't classify ALL the time he spent on the show as a "best moment".

3. Goku Vs Vegeta Rd 1 - YES.  Great fight.  Sadly it petered out to an anti-climactic "Gohan fall on you" ending, but the actually fighting between these two was some of the best on the show.

2. Gohan Super Saiyan II - Ok, yeah, another character, but as with PC, I'll say Gohan going SS2 was definitely a great moment in the series.  However, this would have better been used to highlight the father-son Kamehameha.

1. Goku Super Saiyan - Meh.  With all the talking about super saiyans in the episodes leading up, we all knew Goku was gonna be the super saiyan.  Add in the long, drawn-out transformation sequence and the HORRIBLY long fight that followed, this moment was just underwhelming.  Unfortunately this was also made less impactful by the next saga when they revealed that this "Once in a generation" ascension was gonna be handed out to any saiyan and their brother.

Huge moments that should have been here:

* Vegeta loses his shit when Cell perforates Trunks.

* Trunks goes Super Saiyan over Gohan's dead body in HoT.

* Bardock falls into the exploding planet Vegeta in his special.

* The amazing fighting candy, nuff said.

* Piccolo vs 17. (probably the last real raw fight of the series, aside from...)

* Goku vs Majin Vegeta.

Forgot one: Vegeta's emotional statements about Saiyans and Planet Vegeta as he died from Frieza's blast.

You'll notice a theme in the scenes I like, Vegeta's Sacrifice, Trunks over dead Gohan, Vegeta and his holy Trunks, etc.  In a story about fighting with very little emotion, the scenes that DO have emotion are generally the most impactful, especially when done well.

Forgot one: Vegeta's emotional statements about Saiyans and Planet Vegeta as he died from Frieza's blast.

You'll notice a theme in the scenes I like, Vegeta's Sacrifice, Trunks over dead Gohan, Vegeta and his holy Trunks, etc.  In a story about fighting with very little emotion, the scenes that DO have emotion are generally the most impactful, especially when done well.

That is the hallmark of a great Shonen series. More examples would be One Piece, Jojo's, Early Naruto, Early Bleach

Good lord, One Piece.  I tried it out early into the 4kids dub and wrote it off as trash.  My wife decided to get into it when Funi started dubbing and I kinda was watching as she did.  Then came Nami's arc.  Her with the knife after the villagers ran off, holy shit.  I was hooked from there.  Robin's backstory was amazing as well, with the showdown at the bridge on Enies Lobby.  That series knows how to do tragic.

I'm with you Stryyder that much of the list aren't "moments" per se lol

And, despite Vegeta being my favorite character, he's pretty much the best character cause he's about the only one with true development.

His confession before dying on Namek should be top 3.

His sacrifice against Buu should be top 3.

I'd put the father/son Kamehameha at number 1.

To me, the series should have ended with either A) Gohan defeating Cell w/ the Kamehameha; B) With Majin Vegeta's sacrifice to defeat Buu.

Both were extremely emotional and significant moments. Gohan was putting aside his peaceful nature to save everyone once and for all with his father's help from beyond; and Vegeta was finally casting everything aside and all of his ambition and pride to sacrifice himself for his family and friends. Either one would be flawless endings.

Fade to black.

(PS: I also slowly pushed the original cuts of DBZ out of my mind, since I enjoyed the manga about the same time as the show. I definitely prefer Kai over old Z because it aligns more with the flow and tempo of the manga. Everything they did to draw the show out so Toriyama could write, etc., is missing, thank goodness.)

1 - Gohan SS2 Beating Cell / Father-Son Kamehameha

2 - Goku SS / beating Frieza

3 - Goku vs Majin Vegeta

4 - Piccolo vs A17 / Piccolo's energy trap

5 - Goku's Instant Transmission Kamehameha

6 - Dabura Cookie

7 - Kami fusing with Piccolo

8 - Tien Tri-Beam vs Cell stage 2

9 - Piccolo sacrificing himself for Gohan

10- Yajirobe saves Earth (cuts off Vegeta's tail)

Good lord, One Piece.  I tried it out early into the 4kids dub and wrote it off as trash.  My wife decided to get into it when Funi started dubbing and I kinda was watching as she did.  Then came Nami's arc.  Her with the knife after the villagers ran off, holy shit.  I was hooked from there.  Robin's backstory was amazing as well, with the showdown at the bridge on Enies Lobby.  That series knows how to do tragic.

Out of all the "big 3" Shonen series One Piece is the only one still going that is STILL REALLY good. Naruto and Bleach (which i used to be a YOOOOGE fan of) had such MASSIVELY disappointing endings. One Piece is still chugging strong. luffy's fight against Doflamingo was the definition of epic. (see also the Rob Lucci fight) I feel like OP is so popular in Japan because it fills that hole DBZ left. I still think Arlong is my favorite arc in OP tho. I think that made ALOT of people become true fans of the series.

I non ironically love the 4Kids OP opening. The rest was ass garbage but that opening is legit great.

ETA: and for real though, no love for Tien holding Cell back?

I really love that moment too. ESPECIALLY in the abridged series. i LOVE what they did with Tien in DBZA

Also on the subject of great shonen series if you aren't watching/reading My Hero Academy FIX THAT SHIT NOW

Oh lordy, the Yai yoh yai yoh.  If they made a list of bad anime openings (English or Japanese) that one and "step into the grand tour" would tie for first.  Nothing better for the childrens than to outright state the plot of the show in pseudo-rap.  I still cringe everytime I hear "it's the name of the treshuh!".  So goofy.  But it was catchy.

I actually like a lot of the 4Kids openings, YGO, YGO GX, Kirby, Sonic X, One Piece, TMNT (TURTLES!!!), say what you will about each show but their themes were catchy and sucked you in. That's all an opening needs really.

There were actually 10 main storylines (Pilaf, Tenkaichi Budokai, Red Ribbon, Piccolo Daimao, Saiyan, Frieza, Androids/Cell, Buu, Battle of Gods, and Resurrection 'F') If we're going off by the franchise as a whole (Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z) unless you want to include Dragon Ball Super (with the exception of the Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' arcs since they were just rehashes of preexisting films) and Dragon Ball GT with the Black Star Dragon Ball, Baby, Super #17, and Shadow Dragon Sagas.

Dragon Ball Online (while not officially canon) is what I consider to be the true continuation of the franchise (even though the GT Epilogue was the perfect sendoff to the franchise overall) leading up to the events of Dragon Ball: Xenoverse with Dragon Ball Heroes going by it's own separate canon which was a huge missed opportunity by Toei and Toriyama to capitalize on instead of putting out Dragon Ball Super which feels more like a half-assed sales pitch than an actual continuation of the franchise.

Eh, that was ok.  Seemed like a forced issue to end the series to me, but I'm cynical anyway.

I really liked that moment. Again, it speaks to vegeta having the most growth out of anyone in the series, and probably has a lot to do with why so many people like him. You can't help but like a guy who grows like that. One of the reasons why so many people like those kinds of characters, like the green ranger.

Favourite scenes other than Krillin gibs are Vegeta's deathbed plea on Namek. Goku vs Vegeta kaioken kamehameha vs gallick gun. Vegeta goes bananas final flash on Cell after Trunks gets punctured.