sh0ryu_repp4

Nintendo Switch

118 posts in this topic

It looks pretty neat; I'd say give it a bit more of a chance.  Being able to bring a small multiplayer console around is awesome and seamless single player gaming from console to portable is a great idea.

My main concern with its viability is the battery life when off the stand and the graphics capability in such a small package.  The controllers will also seriously hamper sales if they are too expensive.

shadowofvong and sh0ryu_repp4 like this

It looks pretty neat; I'd say give it a bit more of a chance.  Being able to bring a small multiplayer console around is awesome and seamless single player gaming from console to portable is a great idea.

My main concern with its viability is the battery life when off the stand and the graphics capability in such a small package.  The controllers will also seriously hamper sales if they are too expensive.

I agree. Honestly for me I see personally it being like the Wii/WiiU, meaning, a system with only 2/3 games Id want to play on it and therefore no way to justify the purchase.

As a long time Nintendo fan, I'm super stoked.  I only need a few games I enjoy for the console to be worth it for me.  The amount of games I engage in is less than the typical video game player.

And I love me some Mario, Zelda, etc.  RIP Metroid :(

I just hope this doesn't curb the production of an actual new Nintendo handheld console.

IMO they've pretty much nailed dedicated handhelds with the New 3DS. Really all they need to do from here for handhelds is the occasional hardware upgrades and, once the hardware can handle it, port N64 games. As far as the console itself, I'm not sure what more I could ask for in a handheld.

I just hope this doesn't curb the production of an actual new Nintendo handheld console.

The Switch is a dockable handheld, not a console. It's the 3DS successor, the Consoles have been killed off and TV connectivity put in their place.

That's the way I see it anyway, with the guts being in the screen and all.

I'm underwhelmed and still feel that I get far more value from my soft-modded Wii. The Wii-U was unimpressive hardware wise and so is this iteration. While I love Mario and Zelda both console wise haven't felt right for a few years (since Twilight Princess). This coupled with Nintendo continuing their tradition of failing to get solid 3rd party support from developers that make games I like means I won't be getting the new Nintendo System most likely unless I have some disposable income and there isn't something DBZ I need. I'll continue to pay my Wii, X1 and soon to own PS4.

IMO they've pretty much nailed dedicated handhelds with the New 3DS. Really all they need to do from here for handhelds is the occasional hardware upgrades and, once the hardware can handle it, port N64 games. As far as the console itself, I'm not sure what more I could ask for in a handheld.

I feel the same way. I pre-ordered my N3DS and have loved every single moment with it. 

I'm underwhelmed and still feel that I get far more value from my soft-modded Wii. The Wii-U was unimpressive hardware wise and so is this iteration. While I love Mario and Zelda both console wise haven't felt right for a few years (since Twilight Princess). This coupled with Nintendo continuing their tradition of failing to get solid 3rd party support from developers that make games I like means I won't be getting the new Nintendo System most likely unless I have some disposable income and there isn't something DBZ I need. I'll continue to pay my Wii, X1 and soon to own PS4.

I loved my Wii U but in your defense, it didn't even have a Zelda or Metroid title at all.  Mario 3D World, Splatoon, and Mario Kart 8 gave me reason enough to love it, but the best Zelda for me in the past decade (or two imo) is without a doubt Link Between Worlds, and even though 3D World was good, 3D Land for the 3DS was even BETTER.  The handheld games are very good.  I do find myself playing 3DS a lot more than Wii U.  I mean, there's freaking Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem, too!

Although, Mario Maker is pretty neat, but I heard there's a 3DS version of that in the works as well.

I loved my Wii U but in your defense, it didn't even have a Zelda or Metroid title at all.  Mario 3D World, Splatoon, and Mario Kart 8 gave me reason enough to love it, but the best Zelda for me in the past decade (or two imo) is without a doubt Link Between Worlds, and even though 3D World was good, 3D Land for the 3DS was even BETTER.  The handheld games are very good.  I do find myself playing 3DS a lot more than Wii U.  I mean, there's freaking Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem, too!

Although, Mario Maker is pretty neat, but I heard there's a 3DS version of that in the works as well.

I love my N3DS with great passion and will never question buying a handheld from Nintendo. Yes there is a Mario Maker coming on 3DS. I have loved the handheld Zelda games and I don't think there is one that has released I haven't liked since Gameboy. I loved my Gamecube and easily owned 40 games on it. The Wii killed it for me on their consoles. They focused too much on being a gimmick and lacked features that the other two consoles had. Would have sold it if it wasn't for soft modding. The Wii U released 3 games that I want and I'll have them at a much lower price after the Switch comes out, but until Nintendo can push the levels I expect from a legend I won't pay full price for their home consoles. I know they could do better and I have chosen to express that with my wallet. What I need from them now is specs. Moving to a Nvidia chipset doesn't impress me. Nvidia has plenty of low to mindrange GPU's that aren't going to push to the levels that the New PS4 and Xbox Scorpio will have. I want larger games, with better expansion options and a system that can handle it with ease. I know some uneducated person will argue, "graphics don't matter," and they're right, but GPU, CPU and RAM power does matter and Nintendo needs to push the limits and prove they can be top dog at an affordable price. 

I want features that are good and bring a reason to purchase the Switch. The portable device isn't one that will do that. It looks neat and the idea is sound but the execution will most likely fail. Xbox is pushing the Play Anywhere program hard and it's actually amazing to use. Creating a positive incentive to buy digitally while they eat the cost of giving you a copy of the game for both PC and X1 plus they offer free backwards compatibility and eat the cost on it's production. Sony has solid exclusives, the ability to cater to western audiences and weaboos (couldn't think of a better term to describe people still hanging on to rehashed JRPG mechanics) and often times offer timed exclusives to their fans on major cross platform titles. Nintendo has Mario and Zelda... But that doesn't say anything about what they can offer me that Xbox and PS can't. All of them have IP's that you can't get on another console but I want features that make sense and convince me that their system should be the one hooked up to HDMI port 1. I want them to acknowledge the legend they were and start acting like it. 

Hearing rumors about a 3 hour battery. Yeesh. As far as "portability" is concerned the only this should actually have over the 3DS is looking less awkward in public.

(couldn't think of a better term to describe people still hanging on to rehashed JRPG mechanics)

Turn-based RPG's? When those are good they're good. Nintendo should get onto that more often.
sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

If the battery life is >5 hours that thing is DOA. Nintendo is being mum about it which doesn't sound good...

But yeah they have kind of screwed themselves over from their handheld perspective with this thing. If they eliminate their DS line, why would they do that so soon after a new Pokemon game? and if they dont then what the hell is the point?

basically everything that can determine how well this thing will do we dont know yet.

all i know is that i dont get invited to fancy rooftop parties so i guess the switch isnt for me :/

shadowofvong likes this

Turn-based RPG's? When those are good they're good. Nintendo should get onto that more often.

I think the game industry as a whole (but especially Nintendo) needs to learn this lesson. you dont have to reinvent the wheel every time you do something. just make a good wheel. innovation for innovations sake is counterproductive to the growth and sustainability of the industry. jim sterling did a great video on that subject awhile back.

I think the game industry as a whole (but especially Nintendo) needs to learn this lesson. you dont have to reinvent the wheel every time you do something. just make a good wheel. innovation for innovations sake is counterproductive to the growth and sustainability of the industry. jim sterling did a great video on that subject awhile back.

That really is Nintendo's fundamental problem. So many people get into a series and Nintendo feels the urge to completely change it one or two games later. I think the downhill path the Paper Mario franchise took is a pretty good and widely observed example of this. On a niche end, I've been waiting a really long time for Nintendo to put out another Chibi-Robo game like the first one, and the closest they ever got to that was a little Japanese-exclusive DS release. Now Nintendo held a gun to Chibi Robo's head and said they'd pull the trigger if people didn't buy the 2-D platformer that has nothing to do with his original basis? Screw that.

I mean, sometimes the results of experimenting are fantastic, like with Majora's Mask, but there's zero reason to abandon the core of a series for the sake of doing new stuff.

That really is Nintendo's fundamental problem. So many people get into a series and Nintendo feels the urge to completely change it one or two games later. I think the downhill path the Paper Mario franchise took is a pretty good and widely observed example of this. On a niche end, I've been waiting a really long time for Nintendo to put out another Chibi-Robo game like the first one, and the closest they ever got to that was a little Japanese-exclusive DS release. Now Nintendo held a gun to Chibi Robo's head and said they'd pull the trigger if people didn't buy the 2-D platformer that has nothing to do with his original basis? Screw that.

I mean, sometimes the results of experimenting are fantastic, like with Majora's Mask, but there's zero reason to abandon the core of a series for the sake of doing new stuff.

RIP Paper Mario.  I didn't even like Super Paper Mario for the Wii (lots of people are into it).  I'm totally a TTYD fanboi.

I love my N3DS with great passion and will never question buying a handheld from Nintendo. Yes there is a Mario Maker coming on 3DS. I have loved the handheld Zelda games and I don't think there is one that has released I haven't liked since Gameboy. I loved my Gamecube and easily owned 40 games on it. The Wii killed it for me on their consoles. They focused too much on being a gimmick and lacked features that the other two consoles had. Would have sold it if it wasn't for soft modding. The Wii U released 3 games that I want and I'll have them at a much lower price after the Switch comes out, but until Nintendo can push the levels I expect from a legend I won't pay full price for their home consoles. I know they could do better and I have chosen to express that with my wallet. What I need from them now is specs. Moving to a Nvidia chipset doesn't impress me. Nvidia has plenty of low to mindrange GPU's that aren't going to push to the levels that the New PS4 and Xbox Scorpio will have. I want larger games, with better expansion options and a system that can handle it with ease. I know some uneducated person will argue, "graphics don't matter," and they're right, but GPU, CPU and RAM power does matter and Nintendo needs to push the limits and prove they can be top dog at an affordable price. 

The GameCube gets talked down on a lot but I freaking loved it, too.  Wind Waker, Metroid FREAKING Prime, and Double Dash (My favorite MK until MK8 hit).  And Super Smash Bros Melee!  Ahhhhh...good times.

I hear you with the specs,  I definitely am one of those "graphics don't matter" guys, but specs do matter.  Subpar graphics?  Meh.  It's cool.  Subpar framerate and processing power?  Imagine that kind of crap while playing Monster Hunter...claws and teeth in your face.

The Bear likes this

The GameCube gets talked down on a lot but I freaking loved it, too.  Wind Waker, Metroid FREAKING Prime, and Double Dash (My favorite MK until MK8 hit).  And Super Smash Bros Melee!  Ahhhhh...good times.

I hear you with the specs,  I definitely am one of those "graphics don't matter" guys, but specs do matter.  Subpar graphics?  Meh.  It's cool.  Subpar framerate and processing power?  Imagine that kind of crap while playing Monster Hunter...claws and teeth in your face.

Agreed. GC was the last time Nintendo home consoles were truly great in my opinion. It was a regular ass console, with no stupid bullshit gimmicks, with a lot of solid quality titles on it. That is all I want from nintendo, or any console manufacturer. I want to play good games, so GIVE ME GOOD GAMES.

Don't forget RE1 Remake. There were so many good games and I will easily argue it was a better overall exp over Xbox and PS2.

The Nintendo Switch isn't really a conventional console but more or less a peripheral that for all intents and purposes should've been compatible with any PC, laptop, smartphone, and tablet device available to make it more convenient for the target demographic that they were originally catering toward.

For instance If you wanted to play a Nintendo Switch game on your PC or laptop all you had to do was jack up one of it's miniature game cartridges onto an available USB port on your hard drive (or where there's a slot available) with a wireless game controller installed and you'd have been ready to go instead of the need for a docking station.

For smartphone products like the iPhone, iOS, Android, etc. you could've took the sliding parts of the wireless game controller to attach to your smartphone device as a game pad or activate a feature that displays the buttons via touch screen while attaching the miniature cartridge to your smartphone device while the same goes for tablet devices as well.

The kickstands were a nice inclusion to the Nintendo Switch peripheral so I'll give them credit for that while the missed opportunities that I just laid out could've easily made this a more successful product than the Wii U which is a shame since this was the last Nintendo product Satoru Iwata worked on before he ultimately passed away.

Why should Nintendo be catering to PC gamers?  If you want to game on PC, game on PC.  Trying to make a CONSOLE synonymous with PC is really the biggest things holding XB and PS back, such as it is.  I see no reason for Nintendo to try and integrate with PC.  It will add nothing to their console except cost.

The irony is that If Nintendo had spent more time investing their resources on trying to integrate their new product with PC, laptop, smartphone, and tablet devices with the Switch then they could've generated more of a profit that would've appealed to more third party developers while at the same time making the Switch more convenient than it already is.

Although sometimes too much convenience can be more of a liability than an asset when they probably already looked into the implications of Pokémon GO before deciding to launch the trailer for the Nintendo Switch by taking the extra precaution not to integrate their newest console/handheld hybrid with PC, laptop, smartphone, and tablet devices.

Foolish move or wise decision? You be the judge.