sh0ryu_repp4

Nintendo Switch

115 posts in this topic

I'm actually wondering if they'll do a dual console release like they did with TP and release it on WiiU as well.

They are. It will be on WiiU too.

First console I will be preordering in a while. I love nintendo handhelds. And consoles. And games. 

YAY /highfive fellow Nintendo fanboi! 

Without Nintendo games I think I might give up on consoles.  I don't mind a low quantity because I don't have THAT much free time to play tons of games.  Even then, I spend a significant amount of time replaying great games of the past.  I'm feeling the Metroid Prime urge again...

I'm definitely a Ninty fanboy, mainly because I grew up with it.  I was starting High School by the time PS came around.  I grew up on Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.  I can't deny the realism and interesting games put out by MS and Sony, but they just don't interest me that much.  The formula's too derivative.  Dark and brooding hero has odd powers that he needs to learn to control while everyone's trying to kill him, or one soldier has to take charge to near-single-handedly win the war against evil, survive in a post-apocalyptic warzone where you can't trust anyone, etc etc. 

I'm not going to say Mario and Zelda aren't derivative, it's basically the same story each game.  Maybe it's because I appreciate the characters more.  Master Chief really has no personality, the various Assassins are ok, but kinda boring (yes, even Ezio).  On the other hand you have an Italian plumber and his brother in a kingdom of weird creatures trying to save a princess from something that looks like a dinosaur.  Or a hero in green tights that has to vanquish evil using a growing arsenal of gadgets and a legendary sword.

Video games, for me anyway, bring out the "fantasy" aspect.  I don't want gritty realism on the street.  I want fantasy settings and shining heroes fighting evil.  But that's just a genre I enjoy.  Just personal taste.  YMMV.

I don't agree with that about the Chief lol

Master Cheif is a punk who talks more monotone than Batman. I really dislike how new DoomGuy is essentially Master Cheif.

Give me another Blue Bomber title, one like Megaman X Command Mission. Plenty of golden characters.

I really dislike how new DoomGuy is essentially Master Cheif.

bRUH...

The new Doomguy is like a masterclass in how to do silent protagonists. he says and does more without saying a word than most games with characters with fully voiced dialogue do.

No one beats Link or Red as the silent protagonist.

Have to disagree with you there. All the subtlety and nuanced packed into 2016 Doomguy beats anything Link has done by a LONGSHOT. (<- heh, see what I did there?)

Just the elevator scene in the first 5 minutes of Doom and he has already outclassed Link.

Also Gordon Freeman > Link too

I'm definitely a Ninty fanboy, mainly because I grew up with it.  I was starting High School by the time PS came around.  I grew up on Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.  I can't deny the realism and interesting games put out by MS and Sony, but they just don't interest me that much.  The formula's too derivative.  Dark and brooding hero has odd powers that he needs to learn to control while everyone's trying to kill him, or one soldier has to take charge to near-single-handedly win the war against evil, survive in a post-apocalyptic warzone where you can't trust anyone, etc etc. 

I'm not going to say Mario and Zelda aren't derivative, it's basically the same story each game.  Maybe it's because I appreciate the characters more.  Master Chief really has no personality, the various Assassins are ok, but kinda boring (yes, even Ezio).  On the other hand you have an Italian plumber and his brother in a kingdom of weird creatures trying to save a princess from something that looks like a dinosaur.  Or a hero in green tights that has to vanquish evil using a growing arsenal of gadgets and a legendary sword.

Video games, for me anyway, bring out the "fantasy" aspect.  I don't want gritty realism on the street.  I want fantasy settings and shining heroes fighting evil.  But that's just a genre I enjoy.  Just personal taste.  YMMV.

This is more or less how I feel, too.  Though I am without a doubt a Nintendo die-hard, I will readily acknowledge that I am missing out on some good Sony/Microsoft titles, but like you said, many of them have a "realistic setting."

I don't want to play video games for realistic settings.  I can see those settings in real life.

I want to be in situatitons in settings that I CAN'T encounter in real life.  For me, that's the whole point!  I want to participate in a world that is by all real standards complete fantasy or utter ridiculousness.  Not to say other systems don't have games that fulfill these requirements, but I can always count on Hyrule, the Mushroom Kingdom, Federation Space, Dreamland, etc. for some crazy, not-realism fun.

Metroid can be thought of as somewhat realistic I suppose but there are so mahy bizzarre and powerful lifeforms that it sure as heck doesn't feel like it.  For how powerful Samus is, you'd think you can faceroll everything, but that is most certainly NOT the case. xD

Sigh...we need another great Metroid title.  Sorry for the rambling.  I love Metroid.  A lot.

Though, I will say, Sony caught me with Sly Cooper.  I mean, I've always had a Playstation as a backup to my Nintendo, but when I tried out Sly Cooper I was hooked.  It's like, what if they could make a REALLY good Saturday morning cartoon (like...Gargoyles good) into a video game.  Really hope they make a 5th installment.

I've heard lots of good things about Sly Cooper.

Sly is great, even the newest one on PS4, while it didnt get much hype, was a great addition to the series.

and come to think of it we were supposed to get a movie...

So apparently information is leaking out that:

1. The Switch will run slower outside of the dock (i legitimately dont know how that is technically possible considering the GPU is inside the "tablet"

2. It will be $300 at launch

3. The tablet will have 3 (THREE) hours if battery life.

If this is all true, this is looking to be a clusterfuck of epic proportions...

So apparently information is leaking out that:

1. The Switch will run slower outside of the dock (i legitimately dont know how that is technically possible considering the GPU is inside the "tablet"

2. It will be $300 at launch

3. The tablet will have 3 (THREE) hours if battery life.

If this is all true, this is looking to be a clusterfuck of epic proportions...

Normally how it goes when you step too far outside the box. I feel that they may be trying to phase themselves out of the console scene with this one and slowly working to being just a portable that can hook up to a TV. I'm not entirely against this as Nintendo is king of handheld and I would love for them to take the effort from consoles and put it into making an extremely powerful but reliable handheld. I would pay $300 for a Nintendo Handheld that boasted some great power and a 5 hour battery when running a game that requires max resources. I don't think the Switch will accomplish it though as it's sounding more and more like a hills have eyes offspring.  

Unfortunately, the rise of VR has had a large impact on Nintendo and their consoles.  Nintendo was at the head of innovation when it came to consoles until VR came along.  Peripherals like the wiimotes and WiiU-tablet-controller-things were innovations brought on by the want for immersion but now are being heavily overshadowed by VR.  So, instead of innovating for immersion or a unique experience they are now innovating for convenience (which is not a bad thing) by designing a tablet-like handheld that doubles as a console. Unfortunately, battery life is a huge (yuuuge) concern with the specs posted above and could legitimately kill the console early on in its life.

$300 at launch seems expensive for Nintendo.

New Update: Reports indicate the battery cannot be upgraded

578922cc66524fc5f98ed9cf6945fdd22adb8193

Well I'm dead on it then.  I'll wait for the NewSwitch to come out 2 years later with an expanded battery life.

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

Unfortunately, the rise of VR has had a large impact on Nintendo and their consoles.  Nintendo was at the head of innovation when it came to consoles until VR came along.  Peripherals like the wiimotes and WiiU-tablet-controller-things were innovations brought on by the want for immersion but now are being heavily overshadowed by VR.  So, instead of innovating for immersion or a unique experience they are now innovating for convenience (which is not a bad thing) by designing a tablet-like handheld that doubles as a console. Unfortunately, battery life is a huge (yuuuge) concern with the specs posted above and could legitimately kill the console early on in its life.

$300 at launch seems expensive for Nintendo.

VR is overrated as far as I'm concerned since we've already reached the peak of immersion when it comes to the video game industry whether people like it or not and in some cases it's taken away what made the genre great in the first place being gameplay and fun factor.

Change can be good but it shouldn't be rushed at the expense of not knowing the unintended consequences regardless If it's "good" enough to make money where it's just people wanting to make their science fiction fantasies a reality by forcing it down everyone's throats.

Yeah VR is a non starter. It ain't changing crap.

Also 1110% agree with J. Innovation for Innovation's sake accomplishes nothing and does more harm than good.

Well I'm dead on it then.  I'll wait for the NewSwitch to come out 2 years later with an expanded battery life.

You kid, but.... that's exactly what they'll do lol IF they last that long if this thing tanks.

I have said for years Nintendo is the Capcom of hardware.

Let's be honest. The huge push for VR is nothing more than a desperate attempt to bring lone-lies closer to their waifus. 

All seriousness aside Nintendo has a lot of work and catching up to do. Instead of innovating they need to establish their console better. They need to develop and create a Multiplayer Infrastructure that is convenient and reliable as their current one is almost non-existent. They need to actually establish 3rd Party Support and relations which they promise every generation and fail to do, so I don't expect the Switch to be any different in that area. They need to push decent to serious hardware coupled with an OS that is actually intuitive and convenient while pushing the envelope on 1st Party titles. Zelda could truly be the greatest Open World experience based entirely on the lore but will fall short because the Hardware isn't there to support something massive with a thousand things going on at once. 

You kid, but.... that's exactly what they'll do lol IF they last that long if this thing tanks.

I have said for years Nintendo is the Capcom of hardware.

I know it sounds horrible, but I've been saying to my friends for years that I can't wait for Nintendo to go out the way of Sega so there 1st Party Titles can be picked up and developed by people who will have access to hardware that will truly make them shine. Could you imagine the Metroid Prime series if it had had the full power of a gaming PC.

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this