sh0ryu_repp4

Nintendo Switch

115 posts in this topic

Let's be honest. The huge push for VR is nothing more than a desperate attempt to bring lone-lies closer to their waifus. 

All seriousness aside Nintendo has a lot of work and catching up to do. Instead of innovating they need to establish their console better. They need to develop and create a Multiplayer Infrastructure that is convenient and reliable as their current one is almost non-existent. They need to actually establish 3rd Party Support and relations which they promise every generation and fail to do, so I don't expect the Switch to be any different in that area. They need to push decent to serious hardware coupled with an OS that is actually intuitive and convenient while pushing the envelope on 1st Party titles. Zelda could truly be the greatest Open World experience based entirely on the lore but will fall short because the Hardware isn't there to support something massive with a thousand things going on at once. 

I know it sounds horrible, but I've been saying to my friends for years that I can't wait for Nintendo to go out the way of Sega so there 1st Party Titles can be picked up and developed by people who will have access to hardware that will truly make them shine. Could you imagine the Metroid Prime serious if it had had the full power of a gaming PC.

I couldn't agree with you more. I said before the switch's announcement that Nintendo needed to shut up, nut up, and just make  A CONSOLE THAT PLAYS VIDEO GAMES. THAT'S IT. No gimmicky bullshit. And then the switch happened. So imagine my dismay. Nintendo cant survive another WiiU. If even ZELDA cant save this thing then it's game over man.

I am hoping for the best but preparing for the future i sense coming.

I couldn't agree with you more. I said before the switch's announcement that Nintendo needed to shut up, nut up, and just make  A CONSOLE THAT PLAYS VIDEO GAMES. THAT'S IT. No gimmicky bullshit. And then the switch happened. So imagine my dismay. Nintendo cant survive another WiiU. If even ZELDA cant save this thing then it's game over man.

I'm honestly not going to buy one until it's been out for a full year. Mostly because I sense an upgraded version if it does well or the fall of Nintendo Console if it flops and I try not to support bad business decisions when possible. I'm a firm believer in natural selection and DBZ already has my "couldn't care less if it's good or not" money.

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

Let's be honest. The huge push for VR is nothing more than a desperate attempt to bring lone-lies closer to their waifus.

Or something along the lines of a simulated universe like in the Matrix trilogy where you wouldn't be able to distinguish between this reality and a fake one which was also touched upon in Assassin's Creed with the Animus.

Even If the Switch flops for Nintendo the same way the Wii U did they still have enough revenue to last themselves until 2050 since they're a much bigger company than Capcom and Konami globally. If it hadn't been for Pokémon keeping their handheld market sales afloat with the DS/3DS then they most likely would've dropped out of the video game industry a long time ago by going the way of Sega.

Everyone keeps saying "they have enough money" but i am not 100% sure about that.

That's because having the money isn't the same as it being at the company's disposal. If console sales tanked, the heads of Nintendo would pocket as much as possible, fire everything not related to the handheld department and then cut them in half. Having enough money to stay a float for 40 years doesn't mean that the people in charge will do that. Chances are they would rather retire with all of that money vs. giving it to employees that aren't recouping the cost of keeping them. 

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

Everyone keeps saying "they have enough money" but i am not 100% sure about that.

They make a shit load of money off non-game products. Any toys that are of Nintendo make them profit. All those pokeman toys at walmarts, the world of nintendo action series, blind boxes, ect.

That's because having the money isn't the same as it being at the company's disposal. If console sales tanked, the heads of Nintendo would pocket as much as possible, fire everything not related to the handheld department and then cut them in half. Having enough money to stay a float for 40 years doesn't mean that the people in charge will do that. Chances are they would rather retire with all of that money vs. giving it to employees that aren't recouping the cost of keeping them. 

And as an end result keep all their IP's to themselves without selling them off to other companies that could end up doing more harm than good.

And as an end result keep all their IP's to themselves without selling them off to other companies that could end up doing more harm than good.

We saw how well that worked for Sega... :D

All joking aside, still frees them up to develop for PC and/or higher end consoles vs. always limiting themselves to hardware that's usually more outdated then their competitors outdated hardware as well as forcing them away from gimmicks. 

Card Slinger J likes this

The Switch is an attempt to unify Nintendo's handheld, and console games libraries. The 3DS got about 4-5 must own games a year, and the Wii U got 2-3 a year. If they can successfully pull this off, then they get a system with 6-9 must own games every year. Just imagine a system with Bayonetta, Xenoblade, Poke'mon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, Super Mario Bros, Splatoon, Shin Megami Tensie, Dragonquest, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Etrain Odyssey, Bravely Default, Kirby, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, and Donkey Kong. That's easily 30 must own titles over the course of 4-5 years. 

IMO Batterly life for this thing needs to be 4-5 hours minimum, and power needs to be a little better than the Wii U. 

Unfortunately, I think the Switch will suffer the same death as the Dreamcast. The Wii U already poisoned the well for Nintendo Consoles, and the Switch is going to be treated, as a console. I predict 25-30 million lifetime sales, which is abysmal for a handheld, but a huge improvement over Wii U sales.  Nintendo will lose money on it and slowly fade, like they've been doing for the past 30 years. 

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

I agree with everything you said, but Nintendo has gone on record saying the switch won't replace their handheld division. Which we all know is bullshit, but they're still saying it.

Majin Goo likes this

I agree with everything you said, but Nintendo has gone on record saying the switch won't replace their handheld division. Which we all know is bullshit, but they're still saying it.

It won't. It's a stage into doing so. The New Switch-U will be the replacement with a 6 hour battery and a 5% increase in performance. 

Link?

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/?eid=SwitchPres2017_075a8d26d42e871cf8a7b5fd150e04de

Coming out in March. If this thing doesn't flop I'll be surprised... Actually their plan is perfect. Release just at tax return season when people make most of their dumb purchases.

$300 isn't bad but I think it should have come with Zelda at that with a $250 base price. If I get one it will be to have something smaller in the living room that plays Netflix so I can go back to taking my Xbox to work with me. 

Up to 6 hours battery but only 3 hours when running a Switch Game. 

I've got 3 consoles that can play Netflix plus a smart tv so peripherals aren't really that big for me.

That said, based on the new Breath of Wind trailer alone I just preordered the system for midnight pickup at Best Buy and the collector's edition game bundle for release day arrival from Gamestop.  Even if that's the only game I ever get for it, I count it as a win, mainly because I'm an unabashed Zelda fanboy and will be all my days.

I've got 3 consoles that can play Netflix plus a smart tv so peripherals aren't really that big for me.

That said, based on the new Breath of Wind trailer alone I just preordered the system for midnight pickup at Best Buy and the collector's edition game bundle for release day arrival from Gamestop.  Even if that's the only game I ever get for it, I count it as a win, mainly because I'm an unabashed Zelda fanboy and will be all my days.

I did too. Literally finished my preorder for the console and game 10 minutes ago.

I did too. Literally finished my preorder for the console and game 10 minutes ago.

Damn. That good?

I was so underwhelmed by the presentation. Everyone else was jizzing their pants and im just like "meh"

$300 for the system

expensive af contollers

a launch lineup only 2 new games and TEN ports

3 hours of battery life

those are all deal breakers for me. i have 0 interest in it.

and yeah thats even with Ultra Street Fighter 2. HD Remix was TURRIBLE and they are just adding E. Ryu and Violent Ken. I am legit upset that THIS is the first official numbered game to acknowledge the existence of Violent Ken and not SF5 or something similar.

Majin Goo likes this

Damn. That good?

The trailer was 1000% Hype lol. Watch the 2017 trailer. I'm not saying that the game is going to be great but Nintendo is one of the last few artist when it comes to trailers. Plus my wife wants the new Zelda and I'll have the money by release.

I was so underwhelmed by the presentation. Everyone else was jizzing their pants and im just like "meh"

$300 for the system

expensive af contollers

a launch lineup only 2 new games and TEN ports

3 hours of battery life

those are all deal breakers for me. i have 0 interest in it.

and yeah thats even with Ultra Street Fighter 2. HD Remix was TURRIBLE and they are just adding E. Ryu and Violent Ken. I am legit upset that THIS is the first official numbered game to acknowledge the existence of Violent Ken and not SF5 or something similar.

Since I don't need that $300 for a DBZ release I have some cash to spend lol.

The Bear likes this

Since I don't need that $300 for a DBZ release I have some cash to spend lol.

That's fair enough lol My set 8 money is most likely going towards a new fight stick :P

I mean I think I have come to understand what my situation with Nintendo is. Nintendo has been a first party console for a LONG time now, and there are only 4 Nintendo franchises I really care about:

Pokemon

Metroid

F Zero

Smash

Two of those series dont get games anymore and Pokemon is handheld so whenever Nintendo stuff happens I just legit don't care for it. Which also explains why the last Nintendo console I owned was a Gamecube. All of those series had entries on it.

But then again that's just me. i don't not like Zelda but it has never been a big huge OMG thing for me.

That's fair enough lol My set 8 money is most likely going towards a new fight stick :P

I mean I think I have come to understand what my situation with Nintendo is. Nintendo has been a first party console for a LONG time now, and there are only 4 Nintendo franchises I really care about:

Pokemon

Metroid

F Zero

Smash

Two of those series dont get games anymore and Pokemon is handheld so whenever Nintendo stuff happens I just legit don't care for it. Which also explains why the last Nintendo console I owned was a Gamecube. All of those series had entries on it.

But then again that's just me. i don't not like Zelda but it has never been a big huge OMG thing for me.

The biggest part of my decision is my family. My wife and kids love Nintendo games and it frees up my Xbox. If you consider the amount of time the family at a whole will spend playing it, I'll recoup my investment in the first 3 days of owning it.

The biggest part of my decision is my family. My wife and kids love Nintendo games and it frees up my Xbox. If you consider the amount of time the family at a whole will spend playing it, I'll recoup my investment in the first 3 days of owning it.

and that's totally fair. for you it would be a worthwhile investment. for me? not even a consideration.

Wonder how Nintendo fans will handle paid online service.

that was another point I was gonna bring up. If they are charging for online now then they better catch up to everyone else and provide the same level and quality as the other online services.

because paying for the crap now ain't gonna cut it.