sh0ryu_repp4

Nintendo Switch

I could totally see Uber drivers investing some money in a Switch to give their drunken late-night customers the ability to play Mario Kart and other games on the ride home.  Not gonna lie, I'd give a driver a fat (monetary) tip if I could get some Mario Kart races in during a ride.

and that's totally fair. for you it would be a worthwhile investment. for me? not even a consideration.

that was another point I was gonna bring up. If they are charging for online now then they better catch up to everyone else and provide the same level and quality as the other online services.

because paying for the crap now ain't gonna cut it.

I'll bet it's crap and it looks like based on their presentation the Switch is more focused couch based multiplayer which I'm okay with. 

I could totally see Uber drivers investing some money in a Switch to give their drunken late-night customers the ability to play Mario Kart and other games on the ride home.  Not gonna lie, I'd give a driver a fat (monetary) tip if I could get some Mario Kart races in during a ride.

glad you pointed out "monetary" lol

but with only a 3 hour charge, it wont last that Uber driver very long

I'll bet it's crap and it looks like based on their presentation the Switch is more focused couch based multiplayer which I'm okay with. 

that brings up another point. will there be "tiers" of service like silver/gold psn/ps+? cause if not thatd be bullshit to be made to pay for online services just to download dlc and stuff like that.

glad you pointed out "monetary" lol

but with only a 3 hour charge, it wont last that Uber driver very long

It's a portable console, there will be a charger for it that plugs into your cigarette lighter.

Don't think I've EVER seen a system launch at $240 from Sony or MS (at least not since original generations), so not sure where that's coming from.

Paid online is neither here nor there for me.  Rarely do I play Ninty stuff online.  I'm in it for the solo games.  Most of my online play is on the 3DS.  That said, depending on price tag and what titles they have (monthly games were confirmed I believe) I may jump in.  I just recently got PS4 and had to get PS+ and I've never had an Xbox, so I've never messed with it much.

Zelda was just the clincher for me.  I love Mario, Pokémon, Smash, Metroid, etc.  But Zelda has become my favorite game series.  I've played them all, still own most of them (Windwaker trilogy are the only ones I don't have in some form).  Skyward Sword made some great strides adding characterization to the cast, particularly Princess Zelda.  from the new trailer, it seems Breath of the Wild has decided to take some giant LEAPS to continue this, which looks amazing.  If I were to see this trailer on a large screen with surround sound, I am very certain I'd start tearing up.  Just hits all the right buttons in adventure story for me.

Honestly, I don't care much about the handheld gimmick.  I've got a 3ds.  The hand held feature would likely only be used only if the wife wanted the TV and I felt like playing.

Don't think I've EVER seen a system launch at $240 from Sony or MS (at least not since original generations), so not sure where that's coming from.

He wasn't talking about launch prices but current prices.  At launch the Switch will have to compete with two more powerful systems that already have player bases and cost less currently than the Switch. 

Edit: the packages for PS4 and XBONE that are close to the Switch's launch price include additional content, such as games.

He wasn't talking about launch prices but current prices.  At launch the Switch will have to compete with two more powerful systems that already have player bases and cost less currently than the Switch. 

Exactly.

and also a MASSIVE library of games to compete with from PS4/XB1

The switch doesn't get a pass just cause it's late to the party. Their fault for jumping the gun with the WiiU.

To answer your question sh0ryu, it has tiers. Similar to Gold and PS+. To play on line and have member exclusive deals you have to have a monthly sub. To buy and download DLC that's free. I don't know if Netflix and such will be behind the pay barrier though I doubt it will since that would be dumb considering PS4 and XB1 do not require subs to use streaming services. My concern is the infrastructure. Nintendo doesn't have a solid one already in place for consoles. To warrant a sub I would say they need to push 3x the ability they currently have and even that might not put them on par with XB or PS.

I don't think it's really apples to apples to compare a new system to two systems that have been on the market for over 3 years.  essentially it's like me comparing the newest set of MTG to a box of Pokémon TCG from last year.  similar, yet somewhat different, target audience and honestly, if they care about the game, they likely have all the old Pokémon stuff already.  but if they like both, or the just read up on the new MTG set and it piques their interest, they'll still be likely to pick up the new thing.

Not saying there's NO competition, but I wouldn't consider it a huge hurdle.  if 2 consoles were releasing at once, THEN we would have a huge competition.  But at this point they don't have to choose "Do I spend my money on this one or that one?" it's "Do I want to spend my money on this?"

#notmyconsole

It just does nothing for me. Zelda isn't even a Switch title, it's also releasing on Wii U. What was the last Zelda that did that, Twilight Princess, and that was garbage.

3 hour battery life is shit for a portable. That's Iphone territory. 

And no one has given me a clear answer on the battery life of the Joy Con. 

I expect, since it has an sd card slot of sorts, it will be hackcrackpatched within 2 months. 

Shit launch games otherwise and and wow, Skyrim!? REALLY. Why not be the first platform the next Elder Scrolls game releases on. That would be good, instead of another port of a game that's been out years.

Meanwhile Vile is hyped over the shovel knight news. Hopfully the switch version of smash will have the cerulean warrior himself.

I'm not a huge Zelda fan for the new style games. I liked the top down, Link to the past or Link Between Worlds style. I can only hope we get a new Metroid game on par with Other M, or a new Kirby title. I also want a new Mario RPG. Thenlatest paper mario destroys the feel of whatbmade paper mario awesome

Meanwhile Vile is hyped over the shovel knight news. Hopfully the switch version of smash will have the cerulean warrior himself.

I'm not a huge Zelda fan for the new style games. I liked the top down, Link to the past or Link Between Worlds style. I can only hope we get a new Metroid game on par with Other M, or a new Kirby title. I also want a new Mario RPG. Thenlatest paper mario destroys the feel of whatbmade paper mario awesome

I'm looking forward to Mario Odyssey and the new Puyo Puyo Tetris. I love both of those games and putting them together sounds like biscuits and gravy. 

I'd like to see a Mario RPG closer to the original.  paper Mario and the handheld Mario & Luigi series never really did it for me.  I played TYD and it was cool, but never as unique and groundbreaking as Legend of the 7 Stars.

I don't think it's really apples to apples to compare a new system to two systems that have been on the market for over 3 years.  essentially it's like me comparing the newest set of MTG to a box of Pokémon TCG from last year.  similar, yet somewhat different, target audience and honestly, if they care about the game, they likely have all the old Pokémon stuff already.  but if they like both, or the just read up on the new MTG set and it piques their interest, they'll still be likely to pick up the new thing.

Not saying there's NO competition, but I wouldn't consider it a huge hurdle.  if 2 consoles were releasing at once, THEN we would have a huge competition.  But at this point they don't have to choose "Do I spend my money on this one or that one?" it's "Do I want to spend my money on this?"

Sure, it might not be "apples to apples" but when it comes down to it PS4 and XBONE are still the largest competitors that the Switch will have. The fact of the matter still is that this will sit on the same shelves as the other two systems, so the fact that the other two systems are cheaper, already have player bases, and are more powerful is entirely relevant.

Then you have the costs that keep adding up:

Comes with no games

Online service prices TBD

SD card if you want decent storage (cheap, but still an additional cost)

$70 for a pro controller

$80 for a new pair of sticks

$50 to replace a stick that breaks

$90 if your dock craps out

and you KNOW those things are gonna break/get lost like CRAZY. I'm waiting to see a lost and found bin at smash tournaments for all the missing joycons lol

oh and playing street fighter 2 with an analog stick and FOUR buttons unless you pay $70 for a pro controller or whatever abomination of a fight stick they make for the switch (because the stick for Wii/Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was an actual pile of garbage)?

Get BENT Nintendo.

oh and playing street fighter 2 with an analog stick and FOUR buttons unless you pay $70 for a pro controller or whatever abomination of a fight stick they make for the switch (because the stick for Wii/Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was an actual pile of garbage)?

Get BENT Nintendo.

F**K Bandai and F**K Nintendo.

Sure, it might not be "apples to apples" but when it comes down to it PS4 and XBONE are still the largest competitors that the Switch will have. The fact of the matter still is that this will sit on the same shelves as the other two systems, so the fact that the other two systems are cheaper, already have player bases, and are more powerful is entirely relevant.

Then you have the costs that keep adding up:

Comes with no games

Online service prices TBD

SD card if you want decent storage (cheap, but still an additional cost)

$70 for a pro controller

$80 for a new pair of sticks

$90 if your dock craps out

We'll see on some of that stuff. I haven't had to replace anything for a while because I'm capable of taking things apart, replacing stuff, soldering and so on. If it turns out that most repairs are doable at the smarter than average consumer level I'll let you guys now and maybe do some tutorials. 

I understand the complaints, but again, most of them are simply complaints based on ANY new modern console release.  No games, 1 controller (maybe), possible storage upgrade (but seriously, I just bought a 32gb mini SD for my N3DS for under $20, so it's not THAT bad), limited game library, etc.  Sure, they are valid complaints when compared to a system that's been out for 3 years, but they'll be making the same complaints the next time Sony/MS announce a system and once again it's not backward compatible out of the box or comes with useless peripherals (looking at you Kinect).

So yeah, not saying it's going to be the best ever, but much of the criticism on launch titles and what's in the box is mountain-out-of-molehill generic stuff for a console launch.