Stryyder

Pokemon Sun/Moon

So here we are.  Election day.  What to talk about....POKEMON!

So we're 10 days away from the release of Pokémon Sun and Moon. (14-15 days for those poor souls in Europe, since it is 11/9 already across parts of Europe)

So this is probably the most interested I've been in a while for a Pokémon game.  Here are some things we know:

Sun will be set primarily during the day and Moon at night.  This affects some Pokémon (such as Rockruff which evolves into a more werewolf appearance in Moon).

NO GYMS!!  A staple for 6 generations of Pokémon is taking a sabbatical.  In its place, we have Island Challenges.  Players must travers multiple challenges on each of Alola's 4 isles, comprised of battles, item searches, tests of knowledge and more.  Each island has a totem pokemon and an "Island Kahuna" (essentially Gym leader) the player must defeat to move on to the next Island.  you will be guided through your trials by a different Trial Captain on each island.

Mega Pokémon - While Mega Evolution will still be possible in Alola, there are no new mega pokemon.

Z-Moves - A new mechanic called "Z-Moves" will be in the new games.  Much like Mega Evolution, this is a once per battle attack that is much stronger than a normal attack.  Z-moves are type based, with the trainer needing the correct type of crystal (Normal, Fire, Water, etc) and the Pokémon knowing a move of that type.  There are also pokemon specific Z-Moves that require specific Z-crystals and the pokemon to know a specific move (Such as Snorlax holding Snorlium Z and knowing Giga Impact will enable the move Pulverizing Pancake).  There are currently 4 known specific pokemon (Pikachu, raichu, Snorlax and Eevee) as well as the Alolan guardian deities, that can learn specific Z-Moves.

IV Boosts - After raising a pokemon to lvl 100, it is possible to then use a new feature called "Hyper Training" to actually INCREASE the pokemon's IVs.  A first for the series.

Battle Royal - A new type of battle, pitting 4 trainers against each other in a free for all.  You may help or attack any other trainer.  Once one trainer's Pokémon are all knocked out the battle ends, with the trainer with the most KOs ending up the winner. (so it may be entirely possible to win, even if you lose all your pokemon.)

Alola Forms - Many pokemon from previous generations are returning in new forms, adapted to the climate and environment of Alola.  These pokemon also have changed or gained new types.  So far these include Rattata(+Dark), Raticate(+Dark), Raichu(+Psychic), Sandshrew(Ice/Steel), Sandslash(Ice/Steel), Vulpix(Ice), Ninetails(Ice/Fairy), Dugtrio(???), Meowth(Dark), Persian(Dark), Grimer(+Dark), Muk(+Dark), Exeggutor(-Psychic/+Dragon) and Marowak(Fire/Ghost)

So yeah, lots to look forward to.  If you haven't grabbed the free demo already, give it a shot.  It will give you a mid-30s Greninja, able to turn into Ash-Greninja, that you can transfer into S/M.

So what are your thoughts?  Which starter do you think you'll pick?

I'm a cat person, so I was pretty set on Litten.  But the final evolution roided out Dark/Fire cat is not my cup of tea.  Rowlet is pretty cool at full evo, but being Grass/Flying for basic and first evolution is REALLY weak.  Gotta say, Popplio (or as I call him, Sealy McStupidFace) has been my go-to joke fodder so far, but the "seal/mermaid" final evo is pretty shiny.  He may have won me over at the end there.

I'm always down for some new POKEMANZ.  It will give me something to do over Winter Break after all my grades have been submitted for my students. 

Z  moves sound cool.  Should add more depth to battles.  IV training is awesome  but it does kind of suck that they have to be lv 100.  I stop at 50 and just use the multiplayer battle mode that sets everything to 50, so I don't bother max-leveling anymore.  It takes forever. : /

Ice and steel are my two favorite types so I'm excited about the new Sandslash.  Hopefully I can make it not suck.  One little spark of fire and that thing is going to get burned to a crisp.

It is everything I hated about new things, on steroids.

Looks more like a nostalgia-based game with so many new forms of old gen 1 pokemon. Hilariously few for any other, if any at all?

I have no interest at all, and was lost in W/B2, gone forever by XY. (No Z?)

It is everything I hated about new things, on steroids.

Looks more like a nostalgia-based game with so many new forms of old gen 1 pokemon. Hilariously few for any other, if any at all?

I have no interest at all, and was lost in W/B2, gone forever by XY. (No Z?)

Aww you didn't like Black/White 2?  Black 2 is my favorite Pokemon game to date (been playing since Gen 1 other than skipping Gen 3 until recently).

I am super excited for Sun and Moon! I am getting it on release since I will be reviewing it for my podcast! I was on Team Popplio until I saw his god awful final form so for literally the first time EVER i will not be starting with the water type. which is sad because i have done so since gen 1. But I am so hype for Fire Cat Zangief that I don't care lol

I am super excited for Sun and Moon! I am getting it on release since I will be reviewing it for my podcast! I was on Team Popplio until I saw his god awful final form so for literally the first time EVER i will not be starting with the water type. which is sad because i have done so since gen 1. But I am so hype for Fire Cat Zangief that I don't care lol

I am going with Rowlett just because it's an owl lol.  I love owls.  I have never been a fan of grass types, but lately I have found a few to be really awesome, like the classic Ferrothorn.  In Black 2 I started with Snivy and it turns out Serperior is AWESOME.  One day, I will raise a leaf stormin' contrary Serperior.

Abomasnow also rocks, but then again ice is my favorite type (wtb more resistances plox).

Incineroar just seems like a contradiction.  After Gen V, people were sick of Fire/Fighting starters.  So we got Delphox, which was OK, but pretty lackluster.  Then they bring this along and give us Fire/Dark.....But make it look more like a Fighting pokemon that the II-V ones.

Also, one thing I forgot.  Gen VII trading will be functional on release, but the game will not be Pokémon bank compatible until January.  At that time, you will be able to move your pokemon from Gen VI into Gen VII and even the Gen I rereleases from earlier this year.

No clue.  Probably won't come up until January, lol.

So spoilers galore have flooded the internet as people got ahold of the game code.  Dozens of people have been playing now for a week or so (and some have experienced online and Nintendo store bans for going online with the game and trading).  You can search for yourself if you want to find them (there's a pretty good reddit thread where someone is doing an AMA).  Consensus is that the game is a hit.  Just enough old school added in to the new formula to give us a great update to the Pokémon franchise.  Good skill curve, great customization.  The move away from Gyms has been met with a lot of praise as now it's not just "Go in gym, beat a few generic trainers, beat gym leader".  More to do, more to see and an overall new experience.

If they release it across the US at 12midnight EST like they did with the last one, we're looking at 12 hours to release.  I've already got it purchased and downloaded to my system for tonight.  If the release is as expected, I'll be starting out at 9pm PST. (yay west coast!)

New thing I just found out from a spoiler thread, so I'll keep this hiddenish:

NO MORE HM!  All travel based moves are now through "Ride" pokemon.  You may have encountered this in the demo with the Gogoat breaking rocks with its charge.  Apparently ALL these things (Rock Smash, Fly, Surf) are no longer HMs, but require certain Pokémon and, I'm guessing, some kind of ride capability for each.  So at some point you gain the ability to ride flying pokemon etc.)  This also means NO MORE HM SLAVES!  Make your team how you want without worrying about navigation!  The individual moves still exist, but more likely as TMs.  Another 20 year old Pokémon standard updated, seemingly for the better.

Yeah that was revealed a while back, won't say what IN CASE someone considers that a spoiler but yeah I am really glad they abandoned that system.

All in all Sun and Moon seem to be abandoning outdated trappings of the past entries while adding a fresh spin on other ones. The whole design philosophy of the game pleases me.

The thing I love MOST is that the moves on the battle screen now actually show what is and isn't super effective. I only ever memorized the typing chart up until Gen 2. Once it start going into Ghost and Dark types and shit I could never keep track lol

Btw we should have all the Pokepeople on TT share their Friend Codes for trading/battling and such!

Odd, I played through the initial rival battle (which was typed in MY favor, not the rival's) and didn't see it.  granted I was tired, so I may not have been looking close enough.

#TeamSealyMcStupidFace

5198-2552-8180

Perhaps I should look at a full list, but most of the pokemon in this game looked unbearably stupid which brought down my hype. Also none of my gen 1 favorites recieved an Aloha form so that also was a kick in the dick.

#teampoliwrath

Well, I just finished the first Island (seems like a starter island so the others should be tougher).  Love the gameplay changes.  Not a lot of new Pokemon on this Island, since it's just the basics.  I do already have a Kadabra and my Popplio is now a Brione.  Z-Moves are ridiculously fun.  Particularly the Munchlax you can get via download right now.  Just the basic normal z-crystal, but with Z-Metronome it will choose ANY move in the game and perform the Z-Move version.  Had 1 or 2 goofy stat-based ones, but also Z-glaciate and some Z dragon move I didn't recognize.

So now my choice is to stay on island one for a while and explore new areas that unlocked or just move on and see what's next.

Current Team:

Munchlax (Fluffy)

Trumbeak (Woody)

Cutiefly

Kadabra (The Tick)

Yungoos (CaptCheetoh)

Brione (SlyMcStpdFc)

Picked up as many others as I could find, but left most of the older pokemon (even alolan form ones) behind so I can check out the new ones more.

Also, Team Skull is the best thing to happen to the Pokemon franchise since Pikachu.  So happy we don't have another heavy melodramatic team.  These guys are hilarious.

So we're through release weekend.  Due to finishing up a play and then set teardown I didn't have a whole bunch of time to play, but I did travel to island 2 and am at the end of the 3rd trial there.  Encountered a lot of new mons and swapped out some team members.  Apparently to my detriment currently because I'm up against a Grass totem pokemon and half my team is weak to grass.

Otherwise I'm currently having a blast.  already a few previous game cameos.

Like Colress now working for the Aether Foundation.

Also, 2 new features that I've found really enrich the gameplay, though some may not like them because they give you a bit of an edge.

1) Pokémon Care - So occasionally during battle your pokemon may get dirty, get tangled fur or even need some TLC for status problems.  When this happens, during the post-battle info (money won, NPCs whining, etc) the bottom screen will show the Pokémon Care symbol.  you can tap it or press y and, once the text is done, it will take you to the care screen.(this is also available at any time from the main menu)  You will see your pokemon with some dirt spot, tangled hair, mud or such that you must now brush, clean, dry or treat.  You can then feed them different colored beans to make them happy.  These actions can fill 3 different gauges: Fullness, love and enjoyment.  I haven't really explored all of those but high marks can lead to better performance in battle.

The big thing here is status conditions.  There is a "treatment" option here where you can literally heal ANY status condition at the end of each battle.  No more walking around with poison, paralysis or sleep because you forgot to grab some full heals.  To some of the more hardcore players, this may seem like an "easy-mode" cheat, but for those just looking to enjoy the games it's a nice bit of roleplay to enhance the experience.

Battle status: The bottom screen during battle shows all your options, but also shows sprite icons for both pokemon.  By tapping one of those sprites you can see not only any status effects on that pokemon, but also temporary stat boosts.  Shows increase and decrease of stats by moves like Growl, Tail Whip, Sand attack, etc. as well as boost items like the X-_____ series.  Really handy info to have at a glance.

Current Team:

Brionne (SlyMcStdpFc)

Mudbray

Trumbeak (Woody)

Steenee (Bouncee)

Snorlax (Fluffy)

Rockruff (Remus)

I picked up Sun today. I looked at a list and this gen has about as many decent bug types as BW had, and with me favoring bug types, I'm in. Plus one is a mosquito on roids, which speaks hype to me.

Still kinda bummed there isn't a new Poli form, but I was yold you can catch one earily on, so Hypnotoad (poliwrath) will once more lead my party!

Alright, Island 2 is in the books.  3 trials plus the kahuna battle.  Then a quick trip to the Aether foundation island (hey look, an ultra beast).

As far as tips, here are a few:

Give your Pokémon some beans in Pokémon Refresh.  Get those hearts up.  4-5 hearts makes your Pokémon evade attacks or  stay up after taking a hit that would normally drop them to zero occasionally.  Not sure how much they are going to add of that into competitive play, but in the storyline it's pretty sweet.

Consequently, finally got access to Poke Pelago.  Pretty much just a side area for gathering more items over time.  I've got the first of 5 islands opened up in it, which gives me more beans to feed my pokemon which is great.

Also, Hau's Alolan Raichu is a beast with Psychic.  That or my whole team has shitty S.Def.

Current Team:

Brionne (SlyMcStpdFc)

Lycanroc - Midnight form (Remus)

Snorlax (Fluffy)

MudBray (Altivo)

Tsareena (Bouncee)

Trumbeak (Woody)

Haven't had a chance to get Sun or Moon yet since I've been busy getting all the Mythical Pokémon distributions at GameStop as well as getting ready to beat through Omega Ruby (was initially going to go with Alpha Sapphire due to Kyogre but later changed my mind) for getting specific Move Tutors for my Pokémon before transferring them over to Sun or Moon using Pokémon Bank.

I also finally managed to complete my National Pokédex for Gen VI in X Version though I doubt I'll be able to for Omega Ruby but as for Gen VII with Sun or Moon I might still be able to but it'll be a lot of hard work given how long it takes for me to breed and EV train the teams I've been holding off on the back burner for awhile now for VGC Tournaments at my locals.