Stryyder

Pokemon Sun/Moon

I usually just play through the story and get burnt out and never do anything after that. EV's, IV's, Natures, egg moves, etc. all give me anxiety attacks and prevent me from playing competitively. Also I completed my pokedex in my first Pokemon game and that took extremely long as well and that was only 151 pokemon. I've actually enjoyed the quality of life changes they've made in this installment.

I didn't know much about the gen 7 pokemon so I decided to start off with a nuzlocke run which would force me to use the first pokemon I saw in each area. After playing around with the game and seeing how good some pokes were, I decided to look into some of the gen 7 pokes and some of the older gens updated pokes. Picked a few and then started having fun picking pokes that looked fun while covering the weakness of my first part of my team. That's when I ended up making a PvE team and decided to restart my run (I had just finished the fire trial and was about 20+ hours playtime). Now I'm at the fire trial and at 10 hours playtime. I wanted to share my goal for my team. Maybe everyone who wants to can share their team that they plan on using or the team they beat the game with.

No EV's/IV's/Nature were hunted for in this team... It's PvE, not really needed imo :P

Decidueye

Leaf Blade - Strong grass STAB attack

Spirit Shackle - Strong ghost STAB attack that prevents opponent from getting out of a bad situation

U-Turn - Get out of bad situations, also helps cover dark weakness

Smack Down - Covers fire, ice, and flying weaknesses

Golisopod

First Impression - Strong bug STAB attack. Can only use it as the first attack.

Leech Life - Strong bug STAB attack. For follow up bug attack if first impression doesn't kill. Also a nice rejuv option.

Liquidation - Strong water STAB attack.

Rock Slide - Covers flying weakness

Salazzle

Nasty Plot - Buffs sp. attack for massive damage

Sludge Wave - Strong poison STAB sp. attack

Flamethrower - Strong fire STAB sp. attack

Leech Life - Covers physic weakness

Alolan Ninetales

Nasty Plot

Ice Beam - Strong ice STAB sp. attack

Blizzard - Strong ice STAB sp. attack

Dazzling Gleam - Strong fairy STAB sp. attack

Alolan Raichu

Nasty Plot (I really like this buff)

Thunderbolt - Strong electric STAB sp. attack

Psychic - Strong psychic STAB sp. attack

Grass Knot - Covers ground weakness

Krookodile (didn't have any pokes with dark or ground attacks)

Earthquake - Strong ground STAB attack

Crunch - Strong dark STAB attack and can cause flinch

Aerial Ace - Covers grass, fight, and bug weaknesses

Stone Edge - Covers ice and bug weaknesses

If you are looking for a good grounder to replace Krookadile, I would HIGHLY recommend Mudsdale.  Picked up a Mudbray near the ranch/daycare and the thing has been a champ on my team.  Currently running with High Horsepower, Earthquake, Heavy Slam (Steel) and Super Power (Fighting).  Honestly, with how much this game favors Fairy pokemon and makes psychic more sparse I've found little use for Dark moves, but Steel moves are pretty invaluable.  And Mudsdale's Stamina power (Def buff everytime he gets attacked) and already good def stat he's a great tank.

I'm pretty much the same way on these games, I usually play the story, maybe make a team for fun and then put it away.  I've NEVER finished a pokedex in a game.  That's what I decided to change with gen 7.  Not only am I working toward completing the alola dex but once Bank drops I'm going to work toward a full national living dex, which will take quite a while, even with what I have left from old games.  This year of legendary distributions has helped a lot though.

So far I'm about 54% of Alola dex, with Melemele over 70, Poni over 60 and Akala and Ulaula just below 60.  I could probably move a little faster, but I'm taking time to catch/breed some duplicates to work on the living dex as I'm hunting new entries.  Fun times so far.  Finding those dragons is pissing me off though, particularly since they hold the razor claw and I can't evolve sneasel until I get one.

I've heard a lot about Mudsbray and Mudsdale, I'll have to check them out. Ground is probably my least favorite type of pokemon, so it is usually the hardest for me to pick. I could use a tanky pokemon, I really only have Golisopod to fill that roll and he's not much of a tank with Emergency Exit. Thanks for the suggestion!

Before I quit my nuzlocke run, I had a shiny Mudbray... now I'm sad that I didn't hold onto it before I quit. On the flip side though, I just caught a shiny Wimpod! Not sure if shiny pokes are more common than previous gens, but seeing 2, on separate playthroughs, before completing the Grass Trial seems high above average. 

Damn, that's some great luck.  If I remember correctly the original Shiny odds were something like 1:8000 but have been reduced in recent Gens to 1:4000, so definitely better than old games, but still ridiculously good odds.  I've been playing the same file since release and am almost to 60% dex and I still haven't come across a single shiny yet.  had a friend who would not start the game until he got the shiny starter.  did soft resets for FIVE DAYS before he got one.

I've played just about ever version of pokemon (none of the game boy advance ones) and got my first shiny in Pokemon X. I didn't get it until near the end of the game (7th or 8th gym?), so I consider myself lucky to see 2 in the first half. Your friend is extremely dedicated, I would be in the same boat as you, except I probably wouldn't make it to the first soft reset... lol. You're able to breed a shiny starter right? wouldn't that be easier?

Yeah, but then you have to wait until you get to the breeder.  He wanted to just start with it and lead his team.

My first Shiny was in Pokémon sapphire (GBA), caught a shiny poochyena very early on and kept it on my team throughout the whole playthrough.  No idea what I did with the cartridge though.  I saw a shiny Zubat somewhere on platinum but accidentally KOd him.  Haven't seen a shiny since.

So I've got a couple milestones since my last update:

Melemele Pokedex - 100% Caught

Akala Pokedex - 100% seen

Overall Pokedex - 82%

Got most of the trading evolution done, but finding Metal Coats as well as an extra King's Rock is proving tedious (as is alternatively SOSing a Politoed).  However I picked up 2 more of the Tapus, so only Tapu Fini remains and then Necrozma eventually.  pretty sure I've completed all the stone evolutions and Happiness evolutions.  I do still have to breed spares of Shieldon and Archen to trade for the Sun exclusive fossils and then just Turtornator and Kartana will finish off the exclusives.

Probably the 3 that are going to be the most annoying are Kangaskhan (One area, 1% appearance rate), Gabite (SOS weather in the desert, low appearance rate) and Sliggoo/Goomy (SOS weather in Po town or Exeggcutor island, low appearance rate).

Also, I accidentally beat Blue when grinding levels (got to his last pokemon, Arcanine, and tried to throw the match but it recoiled itself to death) so I switched to throwing pokemon onto isle evelup for levels while I wander capturing.  Makes the grind a LOT easier than previous games as I now have 18 slots for levels and it's based on realtime, not in-game steps, as with Daycares of old.

@Stryyder Nice! It's been a couple days since your last post, but that Pokedex is filling quickly for you. I think I'm going to try and fill out my dex once I finish as well (Finished island 3). Found this on reddit, may help you in finishing up your dex.

Leveling has become a joke. I don't even need to do wild encounters. All my leveling is done by trainer battles and progressing the story. Have my whole team now, all but A. Vulpix is pushing level 50.

Wow, that will help a lot actually, thanks.  I've been frisking Magnemites left and right trying to find a damn Metal Coat with no success.  Should help me find one more king rock too, trying to weather SOS a Politoed is tedious.

I think the only other thing slowing me down is evolving dragons. (Goomy, Dratini, Trapinch) and finding Gabite.  Getting really close though.  Gonna start nature breeding for an EV team soon.

Edit:  OMFG I spent an hour one night trying to get metal coats from Magnemites and another hour trying to SOS a politoed with no luck.  I just got 2 Metal coats out of 3 Magnemites and got a king's rock from hariyama (30% appearance rate in rustling grass, poni plains) all on my lunch break.  Huge thanks for that link MP.  That finishes off my trade evos.

Current status

Alola Dex - 271/301 (299 seen, haven't gone back for Tapu Fini or Necrozma) 90%

Melemele dex - 120/120 ** 100%

Akala Dex - 123/130 * (all seen) 95%

UlaUla Dex - 114/130 * (all seen) 88%

Poni Dex - 89/100 (haven't seen Tapu Fini) 89%

So I'm down to my LAST 17!  Here's a rundown:

Evolutions: Goodra, Lucario, Dragonite, Vanilluxe, Caracosta

Working on these, not too difficult, just time consuming. (See normal captures for Vanilluxe)

Breeding: Beldum, Vanillite, Carvahna

Yeah, I could have caught Beldum on Mt Hokulani but they like to knock themselves out and they are hard to find, so I just dropped Metagross and Ditto in the daycare. (egg sitting in Isle Avue, waiting to hatch) (See normal captures for Vanillite, see Fishing captures for Carvahna)

Normal Captures: Vanillite*, Mimikyu

Currently trudging through the haunted megamart for Mimikyu and its 5% appearance rate, ugh.  As for Vanillite, I caught one already, but traded it for a Turtonator via GTS before I bred it, so now I have to go on Lanakila with some Hail and find another.

Fishing Captures: Bruxish, Relicanth, Sharpedo

Worst fishing system EVER.  Spent a good hour down on the SE corner of Poni Island trying to get Bruxish from the spout with no luck.  So tedious.  Same with Sharpedo.

The Worst: Gible, Gabite, Garchomp

SOS battles aren't too bad, but every now and then you get a horrible one.  So for Gabite you have to be in the desert, during a sandstorm, fighting a trapinch (which already has a low appearance rate) and HOPE it calls a gabite.  Hopefully this one won't take too much longer.

Special: Tapu Fini, Necrozma

Legendaries are always interesting.  Tapu Fini's Aqua Ring healing makes it very annoying.  Haven't tried for Necro yet.  Figure I'll save him for the grand finale.

Do you target one pokemon (and it's evolution chain) at a time or do you try a bit on one and then move on to the next for change of scenery? I'm almost to the point where I can start filling out my dex and thinking about how I'm going to tackle it. I know most will be easy to obtain, but can see myself getting burnt out on trying to get 1 poke.

On my way up mt. Lanakila I happened to stop by at the pokecenter just before the Final Four and Nurse Joy started talking to me about pokerus... Thought that was kind of weird, so when I got them back I checked and sure enough all my pokemon were infected with it. First time I've ever had the Pokerus before. I switched out one of my mains for a box pokemon so I can give it to him and store it in the box for later keeping. That will come in handy when training EV's later.

I'm still training and preparing for the Final Four. All my Pokes are lvl 58+, but I want them to be between lvl 60-65. Know of any good xp farming places? Mt. Lunakila is mostly 500xp and sometimes 800xp or 1,400xp for lvl 58-ish pokes.

Also thanks to SafeOnBlock for sharing a 4 perfect IV Litten that he bred! I owe him! That was also the poke I decided to infect with the Pokerus.

Unfortunately the only decent grinding spots are post-E4.  You MIGHT be able to get into the Poni Plains, north of the ruins, pre-E4, where most stuff is lvl 55 or so, but grinding wilds still doesn't give you as much XP as trainer pokemon.  This means the best grinding spots are the elite 4 or against red/blue outside Battle tree (only available post E4).

Congrats on the Pokerus!  Always fun.  I just dumped my team into Isle avue for EV training, lol.  Takes almost 16hours (with beans and lvl 3 Isle evelup) but it's awesome when you are focused elsewhere.

As far as dex hunting, I started out working toward both the alola dex, as well as a living dex.  This meant that while I was looking for stuff, I also spent time getting copies of ones I already had to fill out the living dex.  helped pass the time.  At this point, I'm just working toward getting the last few finished.  I would suggest looking in areas where you didn't do much catching in the past.  I found quite a few places where I needed a lot of pokemon so I went there first.

It definitely gets tedious toward the end.  There are a couple of problem children:

* Fishing pokemon - Pretty much ANY fishing pokemon aside from Wailmer or Magikarp are gonna take some grinding.  Particularly Corsola (requires repetitive traveling to reset the bubbles) and Relicanth/Sharpedo (both @ 10% appearance rates).  I ended up just finding those 2 on GTS.  Also, Mareanie since you have to find Corsola and THEN get Mareanie via SOS.  But I didn't do too bad, got Mareanie on my first Corsola encounter without too much trouble.

* Weather SOS pokemon - Vanillite, Castform, Gabite, Politoed(just find a king's rock and trade evo) and Goomy.  All can ONLY be found via SOS and ONLY when a weather condition is present.

* Dragons - Any dragon is gonna take some grinding to get to evolution levels.  I'm running my last one (Dragonair) through E4 repetitively.

* Friendship evo - These are actually NOT that difficult and can be done in the background with Poke Pelago.  Best bet is to get Isle Avue to lvl 3 as fast as you can.  Drop any Friendship necessary pokemon into the hotspring and make sure to put some beans in the crate (raises happiness twice as fast).  Make sure to rotate them to a different section of the hotspring at least once every 24 hours.  If they stay in the same one for 24 hours their happiness will start going down.  Once you tap them and it says "They're so relaxed it would be impossible for them to be more relaxed" they are at max happiness.  Take them out, level them once (rare candy will work if you have spares) and they should be done. (beware of any daytime/nighttime restrictions)

Also remember that you'll need to breed some whose basic forms aren't found in the wild (like Sharpedo) or who may be really hard to catch (you can trade for a metang and given Beldum's penchant for recoil damage it's just easier to breed than catch).  Fly to Hokulani observatory and walk south along the bus trail and the first side patch of grass is where you can find Ditto (might take a few tries, he's low appearance).  You might also grab a few extra dittos since people often ask for them on GTS.

As for me, I'm on the final stretch.  I've been playing since Gen I and I have NEVER bothered to complete a Pokedex.  I'm not FIVE pokemon away from breaking that trend.

Beldum - Egg is in the spa still, should hatch before the end of lunch today.

Vanilluxe - Grinding the E4 with Vanillite, got about 10 levels to go.

Dragonite - Grinding the E4 with Dragonair, got about 6 or 7 levels to go.

Tapu Fini - Probably the hardest of the Tapus considering Aqua Ring will heal it without wearing off.

Necrozma - The hidden legendary and quite fittingly my final target.  Gonna prep my team well for this one.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish this off by tomorrow at the latest.

So, status report...

Haven't been online much this weekend past Facebook.  Friday just after work I hatched my beldum and leveled Vanillite up to 47 for evolution.  Spent some time at the local card shop, handing out pokemon league promos, then headed home.  Did 2 more Grind sessions to evolve dragonair.  This left me with just 2 captures to complete the dex.

Tapu Fini - I tried once before and failed because he casts Aqua Ring which heals him constantly and never wears off.  So this time I ran to the shop, purchased some Dive balls, Quick balls, Dusk balls and Ultra Balls.  Ran to the rift and changed day to night (it was 8 or 9 PM for me at the time and I have moon) to maximize Dusk ball.  I kept Dragonite on my team and bumped him to the front since he was decent level and still had thunder wave.  So start up, thunder wave, swap in Snorlax, constant chipping down to red and 3-4 dusk balls later, capture.

Necrozma - The 3rd big legendary is usually a challenge, as this guy was.  Did the same strategy, chipped away at him after thunderwave and again it only took a few ultra balls (tho he did manage to KO Snorlax) and the journey was complete.  300 pokemon, plus magearna so technically 301.  Definitely a good feeling accomplishing this, especially after nearly 20 years of playing these games and just ignoring the pokedexes.

So what's next?  Well, while I was grinding out my last few I had done some breeding and threw a team into Isle Evelup for EV training.  They are now trained up and I'm running them through the E4 to get them up above 50.  After which I will take on the Battle Royal and Battle Tree.  Here's my EV team:

Decidueye

Primarina

Golem

Salazzle

Kommo-o

Mudsdale

Congrats on your 100% Alolan dex! do you know how long (in game) it took you to complete the dex?

I beat the final four at 33 hours. Decided lvl 60 would be good enough, and didn't even come close to blacking out. After the next 45 minutes of cutscenes, dialogue, and credits (my god this felt like it was an eternity), I decided to start my end game experience by farming an Adament Smeargle to use as a catcher. After about 3 hours I gave up and decided to use a Jolly one that I caught earlier. Probably going about this in the wrong order, but I wanted to return the favor to Safe On Block sooner rather than later, and needed a catcher to start chaining dittos. In the process of filling out his move set that will help with catching and hunting for Hidden Abilities. Having a poke that can use evasion moves would probably be better for chaining, but for dittos you can just have them copy a poke with a non threatening move with lots of PP and then you don't have to worry about taking damage.

yeah, I've got a buddy like that.  He caught the bare minimum in his run through and is now going back for Alola only pokemon.

I'm currently speed breeding Eevees via Masuda with a perfect IV ditto.(see below for how to get one for free!)  About 40-50 eevees in and no shiny.  Eventually I want a shiny that I can EV train into a decent Umbreon.

One of the fan boards is doing an automated ditto giveaway.  To get one, catch or breed a nosepass.  Put it up on the GTS for trade and mark it only for trade for a Ditto lvl 80-90.  You will receive a lvl 85 perfect IV Ditto named "Breed Me!" holding a destiny knot.  It is a hacked pokemon, but well enough to where the game doesn't know the difference and any Pokémon you breed from it will be completely legit.  It also is from a non-English region (Italy I think) so it will work for Masuda.  Not sure how long they will be doing it. May take an hour or so for the bot to get to your trade so be patient.