Justin McBride

FanZ - Android 18

72 posts in this topic

The hand sculpt ability is bonkers. You can sift through 7 cards of your deck compared to your opponents 3... and when you do find the cards you want you just "bank them" at the bottom or the top. I can't even comprehend how pwerful this will be.

Didn't Premiere Trunks do the same thing tho?

Personally, and I have been saying this for awhile, I think the best MP for a "scry 6/7" ability would be Bardock. Fits with his whole "psychic" thing.

It made it so that you could run a ton of setups without having to worry about drawing a dead hand. It took away part of the risk factor of running setups in general. It would have been similar to saying you can just play setups from the hand. 

I don't agree with the last sentence at all.  

Imo, it led to a more skill based game.

The Bear likes this

Didn't Premiere Trunks do the same thing tho?.

I think they're saying in addition to an MP's power, like in the fan-made OCG from a few years ago.

DBZ OCG Rulebook said:
Here's how the steps work with you playing as the Attacker:

1. Draw Step:
You look at the top 6 cards of your Life Deck, put them back in any order, and then draw 3 cards.

2. Non-Combat Step:
You may play Allies, Dragon Balls, Locations, and Non-Combat cards face-up from your hand and leave them on the table.

3. Power-Up Step:
Gain Power Stages!
You now power-up your MP and all your Allies by raising their power stages equal to their Power-Up Rating (PUR) found on 
their Personality cards.

Declare Combat?
If you are going to enter Combat, you must declare it to your opponent at this time and then go to the
Combat Step. If you choose not to declare Combat, you go directly to the Rejuvenation Step.

4. Combat Step:
Prepare Phase:
You and the Defender prepare for the fight by doing any effects that occur “When entering combat.” The Defender looks and
rearranges the top 6 cards of his Life Deck and draws 3 cards.

Alternating Attack Phases:
You and the Defender now battle it out in alternating Attack Phases. You get the first Attack Phase to either attack or use a 
card power. Afterward, the Defender gets an Attack Base to attack or use a card power. This goes back and forth until 
you both pass in back-to-back Attack Phases. Then, the Combat Step ends.

5. Rejuvenation Step:
First both players discard down to 1 card in hand. If you skipped the Combat Step, you may choose to have both of you take the top card of each of your Discard Piles and put them at the bottom of each of your Life Deck

While I liked the "look and rearrange" mechanic, it tended to favor do-nothing control decks. Especially with a particular Orange Mastery that was basically Three Card Monte:

Once per combat, as an action, you may discard one of your Orange Drills in play to search your Life Deck for 2 different Drills and place them into play.

So, you'd have decks that would get an Orange Drill out, and then your first combat, you'd pitch it to get Caught Off Guard Drill. COGD basically let you choose a non-Mastery, Non-MP, Non-Dragon Ball card and say, "That card can't be played while COGD is in play." So, you'd Caught Off Guard whatever Drill removal tech your opponent would likely have based on their deck, and then just keep rearranging your deck with Drill effects until you could lay down a DB victory.

Yeah I think the 6 card rearrange rule took out a lot of the skill involved in deck building and favored do nothing decks too heavily. It was a good idea in theory, but ended up making the game less fun to play. In my opinion. It also made more sense in GT when you had huge deck counts and needed a chance to draw a particular card. I don't think it would have the desired effect for PanZ/ fanZ.

The top 6 rule ruined the old game.  It took aggro out of the game, becuase it took aggro's greatest advantage out of the game.  You could no longer catch a control deck with their pants down.  Control dominated the game throughout all of expanded until they broke Saiyan with the ability to tutor any card they wanted at any time.

V7BZity.jpg

Regardless of the ability, I personally liked how Awakening looked. Since it was the most recent set shouldn't the new FanZ cards look like it did?

The top 6 rule ruined the old game.  It took aggro out of the game, becuase it took aggro's greatest advantage out of the game.  You could no longer catch a control deck with their pants down.  Control dominated the game throughout all of expanded until they broke Saiyan with the ability to tutor any card they wanted at any time.

Yeah, I think looking at the top 6 and rearranging before the draw is too much.  But if each player were able to scry 2 at the beginning of each turn I think you could preserve most of the advantage that aggressive decks have over control decks.  The scry 2 power pushing cards to the bottom of the deck rather than rearranging on the top helps to balance it somewhat.

Did the forums officially go down?  

Btw, A16 isn't good either.  GG.

Actually i think 16 is the first legit good card theyve done so far. It has options, and it has potential. You can DO STUFF with it.

Actually i think 16 is the first legit good card theyve done so far. It has options, and it has potential. You can DO STUFF with it.

It's playable, I'll agree with that.  The other 2 aren't.

Design is good, but the card just doesn't compete.

It's impossible for anyone to judge the 3 new MP levels without seeing the entire set.  They are each good enough that any nudge could push them over the edge.  Frieza gets a new named card, Android only cards with awesome effects, etc...

We can definitely judge card power levels based on our current understanding of the game.  A18 isn't close to playable, 16 is, and Frieza requires some magical hoops in design.

The last thing I read was that this set would have 3 brand new MP stacks and their associated Named cards, 4 individual levels of existing MPs (16, 18, Frieza and ???), and one of each type of card (Energy and Physical Attack, Energy and Physical Block, Setup, Event, and Drill) for each Style.

I saw something about at least a new Frieza Named card, so there may be more Named support as well for existing MPs.

I must be the only one who likes the new 18.... i would play it in Orange Adaptive or Blue Resolute
AlexM likes this

I must be the only one who likes the new 18.... i would play it in Orange Adaptive or Blue Resolute

I mean I don't think it is HORRIBLE i just think it's "eh" Right now imo it's:

16 - good

18 - meh

Frieza - Crapparoni

I like it. I just don't know if it will be enough. She'll need additional support to be a real threat.

I'll admit it's no Drawku, but i still like it. I also tend to enjoy tier B decks as is. Maybe I'm a glutten for punishment or just a bad player.