mch64961

MTG

19 posts in this topic

Is it worth taking the plunge and trying it out. I'm very disappointed in panini for letting dbz go (I'm still going to complete my collection) but I would like to get into a ccg/tcg that still puts out new cards. Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Is it worth taking the plunge and trying it out. I'm very disappointed in panini for letting dbz go (I'm still going to complete my collection) but I would like to get into a ccg/tcg that still puts out new cards. Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

MtG is as fun and as expensive as you want it to be. Standard is shit right now, but EDH and other formats are still large and enjoyable. 

Card Slinger J and DAKMOR like this

MtG is as fun and as expensive as you want it to be. Standard is shit right now, but EDH and other formats are still large and enjoyable. 

I wish I knew this before I started in Kaladesh. I only found out via youtubers like StrictlyBetterMtG. If I had known the budget sector of MtG was cheap and honestly, much better than any other game period, I would have started a decade ago when Duel Masters folded.

Majin Goo and sh0ryu_repp4 like this

I wish I knew this before I started in Kaladesh. I only found out via youtubers like StrictlyBetterMtG. If I had known the budget sector of MtG was cheap and honestly, much better than any other game period, I would have started a decade ago when Duel Masters folded.

Thankfully, in MtG, Casual Formats are widely supported by players and even receive support from Wizards.

Card Slinger J likes this

Yes. Stay on budget for the format you want to play. Never expect to get your money back for what you buy.

Also ask all the questions you can to anyone who will listen. 

Finally, find what makes you want to play the game. Once you have that, the rest of the shenanigans that happen with new card releases, and flavor fails won't matter too much. 

MTG is a strange creature.  I started playing a bit back when I was in middle school (Homelands era).  never got into the competitive scene but always loved playing fun casual and then drafting.  Dropped it some time after Kamigawa block, at a point when I dropped all CCGs.  Came back in during Alara block, because the ideas were intriguing.  Since then I come back for a draft or two ever couple sets.  EDH is not my scene, but I have a couple Vintage or Legacy decks (Elves and Goblins) that are fun to play.

I feel similarly. I really like playing Magic but the competitive scene (to me anyway) is an expensive dumpster fire (akin to YGO) but I still REALLY like the core mechanics of the game.

I honestly did not know there was a casual scene for Magic and that it had support, is this true? Cause if so I may dip my toe in if the competitive piranhas aren't in the pool...

I feel similarly. I really like playing Magic but the competitive scene (to me anyway) is an expensive dumpster fire (akin to YGO) but I still REALLY like the core mechanics of the game.

I honestly did not know there was a casual scene for Magic and that it had support, is this true? Cause if so I may dip my toe in if the competitive piranhas aren't in the pool...

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/casual-formats-2008-08-11

MTG has many great casual formats. Wizards actually supports Commander (EDH) Format with new products specifically for it every year. I personally have many commander decks that range in competitiveness and are meant for pure fun. I also have a personal cube that my friends and I play almost every week. I hardly play in the competitive scene anymore. Only modern events and leagues.

That list is missing pauper. One of my favorite formats to play, sadly though I think it only has a following for MtG Online. My main is sealed. No bullshit, everyone is on the same playing field based on luck. If you know how to do it, you can still win consistently and I can normally, 9/10 times, make profit selling every card I got at the event. 

In my opinion, vintage and legacy is where it's at. Tons of casual who gives a f**k bogus decks and most people that play it regularly don't mind proxies. 

wow thanks guys for making me aware of this. a friend of mine got  me the Nyssa Vs. Ob Duel Decks for christmas and playing those decks with some friends reminded me how much i like actually playing magic. I am deffos gonna look into this.

ok i just looked up Pauper and Peasant form and i REALLY like that concept. Do people play those formats irl?

I know Pauper is pretty healthy where I am. Most of our leagues at my game store try to mix formats (EX. Pauper commander, Mini commander, Pauper modern, etc.).

ok i just looked up Pauper and Peasant form and i REALLY like that concept. Do people play those formats irl?

Most certainly. You should also look into the Zandikar block, specifically, the ally mechanic. I think you would love it. I think you would love Kinship Shaman as well. One of my favorite decks to play that still does well in an extended format is Rage Forger Shamans. 

Ask your local stores, check wizards awful website for a store locator thingy. See what they play on their schedule. Try everything out with minimal purchases.

I like sealed, but it is costly if you suck. $15 drafts are hard to swallow once a week when you get buttkiss out of it. So I look at it like I'm paying for the entry to an event and playing with like-minded individuals. Like a small music concert but less ear ringing. 

A lot of folks play casual 60 card constructed kitchen table nonsense. Which is great if you just have random cards from different sets, or your own "Cube" to draft from over and over again without paying money for. But you also need players to enjoy the game. 

Magic isn't a solo game. 

(Does anyone here know how to properly use Octgn and other apps to play Magic? Cockatrice/andsuch Kind of want to test out some EDH decks against friends that live far away.)

I wasn't aware that Panini let it go.  After learning the reason why, hopefully it is only a matter of time before it comes back.  When Bandai's DBS card game inevitably tanks.  I have been play MtG for 20 years.  I say go for it, just avoid the Standard scene.  I also wouldn't recommend Vintage/Legacy or Modern unless you have deep pockets.  The other formats have a lot going for them though.  One word of caution.  Don't buy starter decks looking to get something semi-competitive.  They are good for learning and that's it.  They can't hold up at all. 

Ask your local stores, check wizards awful website for a store locator thingy. See what they play on their schedule. Try everything out with minimal purchases.

I like sealed, but it is costly if you suck. $15 drafts are hard to swallow once a week when you get buttkiss out of it. So I look at it like I'm paying for the entry to an event and playing with like-minded individuals. Like a small music concert but less ear ringing. 

A lot of folks play casual 60 card constructed kitchen table nonsense. Which is great if you just have random cards from different sets, or your own "Cube" to draft from over and over again without paying money for. But you also need players to enjoy the game. 

Magic isn't a solo game. 

(Does anyone here know how to properly use Octgn and other apps to play Magic? Cockatrice/andsuch Kind of want to test out some EDH decks against friends that live far away.)

Your best bet would be XMage

I wish my locals did more Pauper. I'm bored and frustrated with Standard, Commander I wouldn't know where to start, plus Pauper has the best card ever.

Counterspell.

Getting close to helping finish my friends' Breya, Etherium Shaper deck in Commander while my Karona, False God build still has a ways to go.