sh0ryu_repp4

MetaX

88 posts in this topic

I couldn't agree more, @The Bear

My gut reaction was that It looks like a fan-made expansion for Legendary: Marvel between the fonts and the symbols that trigger certain events.

When DBZ died again and Meta-XXXTreme was introduced, my first thought was, "Eh, maybe I'll look it up on OCTGN once it comes out." Now, I'm just, "Eh..."

1 hour ago, ChangelingBard said:

Extremely missed opportunity to refine the DBZ system and have superheroes duke it out.

I feel this so bad. I am a big DC fan and to see such a golden opportunity seemingly already flop just hurts my soul.

For me it already seems to fall into the trap that all games which mix IPs fall into: it doesn't feel like that IP.  It feels like someone pitched a generic game, the company liked it and said "y'know what would sell this game?  A popular brand!"

Similar to the glut of Legendary games lately (except the Alien series, that ruleset fit SO well with that IP), a good chunk of the Cryptozoic Cerberus games, etc.  It's one thing if you say "I made this random game, marketed it, now I'm going to make a copy/paste theme for funsies" (a la Munchkin), but trying to market this as a "DC battle game" is about as successful as marketing Cardass as a "DBZ battle game".  The basic premise and feel of the game doesn't match the theme.

The Bear likes this

No real advertisement or announcements of its own. Horrible previews with bad resolution. Absolutely no evidence that real support will be provided for the game. This doesn't bode well and at this point unless the next month of information is mind blowing fantastic I have no intention of buying a single card. There are a lot of games that can scratch the collector/competitive itch that have a long standing, advertise appropriately, well supported organized play, and are not one of the big 3.

I really want MetaX to work, especially given that they are opening with a heavy hitter that has a movie coming out soon as well. This is the perfect opportunity to make amends for their shit practices in the past when competitive/collector games are concerned and they don't seem to give two shits. Hopefully, I'll be wrong and this will be awesome. 

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

I am genuinely curious how long they've been working on this.  7 months from concept to release is really quick.  Granted they may have been working on it longer and it's not like they really have much else in the works.  But I wonder if the summer release of DBS had any hand in moving up their time-table.  As it is, they are going to have their hands full, given how many people will choose DBS just for the IP, as well as those who are still gun-shy on Panini for the way they ended PanZ.  It will definitely be an uphill battle.

22 minutes ago, Stryyder said:

I am genuinely curious how long they've been working on this.  7 months from concept to release is really quick.  Granted they may have been working on it longer and it's not like they really have much else in the works.  But I wonder if the summer release of DBS had any hand in moving up their time-table.  As it is, they are going to have their hands full, given how many people will choose DBS just for the IP, as well as those who are still gun-shy on Panini for the way they ended PanZ.  It will definitely be an uphill battle.

It will all come down to mechanics and aesthetics. They need to produce a game that is simple with complex elements coupled with rules that are easy to understand along with a promise of OP in order to bring the gun-shy crowd back. Their biggest strength will be their starting IP. Justice League has a huge following, but if the cards look like crap or the layout is uncomfortable to look at they will lose out on a lot of customers that are looking for quality in collecting. 

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

24 minutes ago, Stryyder said:

Dont they have the Afterworld game in the works?  And they appear to be half-assing both.  If they killed one they could at least full-ass a single game.

59 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Dont they have the Afterworld game in the works?  And they appear to be half-assing both.  If they killed one they could at least full-ass a single game.

Yeah and that was announced a LONG time ago and we now less about it than Meta X, which is next to nothing.

and they even have a separate arm of the company now, Panini Games, which says ALOT about them imo

I am starting to wonder WHY DC even gave them the license at this point...

Well, Afterworld is another TCG "resurrection" for them.  Though the game was never very popular in the first place.  They've already released 2 starter sets for it, but marketing and support is non-existent.

As for DC, my guess is some sense early on that VS system redux was actually going to be big and they wanted to compete this time, rather than reconnect with UDE.  I keep seeing new VS System expansions, but barely anyone actually playing.  It seems the fervor for DC deck-building game is dying down too, as they haven't released a big box expansion since Teen Titans in 2015 and all we've had lately are the small "crossover" packs.  They're trying to broaden the range of their licenses to get some more dough.