barrinmw

Fanz Banlist Update

5 minutes ago, Artificial Human said:

No one ever complained about Terror outside of TerrorGate and no one complained about Trailing Blast.

Hey at least we won't have any more #terrorroshi incidents! :P

While I do agree that Unleashed is the root of the problem and that we should just get it over with already and deal with that card, I think I see what they are trying to do.  They are attempting to coexist with Unleashed by limiting some of the more OP interactions with it.  Again, I do not agree that this is the best solution, but I think I see their rationale.  They are trying to keep the Unleashed engine around to let people enjoy the fun fair (I think these exist?) interactions with the card.

Would still rather see that crap banned despite the fact that I bought a full-priced duo of the card to fill out my playset.

Unleashed just limits too much other design space by being too powerful. These otherwise non problematic cards have now been directly effected by unleashed. Before unleashed/goku they were fair, interesting, and fun. 

It makes other level up mechanics all but defunct  (as they can still be played along WITH unleashed). Any card that exists or could be made in the future that takes away mppv as a cost is now much weaker because of unleashed. It removes diversity because any deck that seeks to win by survival and not mppv is better with an unleashed engine. For the small price of about 5 deck slots.

We can no longer print many powerful/abuseable attach cards or attach searchers. We can't print mp's that combo off of themselves too heavily by level change. We can't print too many powerful cards that reward level change. We can't do interesting things like print mp's with super powerful upper levels that are hard to reach through anger. We can't do a lot of stuff that would be fun/interesting because unleashed has backed the game into a corner. 

8 minutes ago, v3rse said:

Unleashed just limits too much other design space by being too powerful. These otherwise non problematic cards have now been directly effected by unleashed. Before unleashed/goku they were fair, interesting, and fun. 

It makes other level up mechanics all but defunct  (as they can still be played along WITH unleashed). Any card that exists or could be made in the future that takes away mppv as a cost is now much weaker because of unleashed. It removes diversity because any deck that seeks to win by survival and not mppv is better with an unleashed engine. For the small price of about 5 deck slots.

We can no longer print many powerful/abuseable attach cards or attach searchers. We can't print mp's that combo off of themselves too heavily by level change. We can't print too many powerful cards that reward level change. We can't do interesting things like print mp's with super powerful upper levels that are hard to reach through anger. We can't do a lot of stuff that would be fun/interesting because unleashed has backed the game into a corner. 

Freestyle was a mistake.

3 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Freestyle CAN work but NOT in the way it has been handled.

I think freestyle should have been weak cards that fill a niche.  Like an event that destroys an ally, or a drill, or whatever.  For you to fill in holes in your deck.  Instead, freestyle cards are more often the strongest cards in the game.

1 hour ago, barrinmw said:

I think freestyle should have been weak cards that fill a niche.  Like an event that destroys an ally, or a drill, or whatever.  For you to fill in holes in your deck.  Instead, freestyle cards are more often the strongest cards in the game.

I actually quite like that idea. Too late of course but it would have been nice. Of course every deck would play either 3 of banish a setup drill or ally, or worse 9 cards one for each board removal. 

2 hours ago, Littlebig said:

I actually quite like that idea. Too late of course but it would have been nice. Of course every deck would play either 3 of banish a setup drill or ally, or worse 9 cards one for each board removal. 

Only possible if the game had a way to make sales outside of chase rare and ultra rare freestyles, which it really didn't.

2 hours ago, LeluGhost said:

I never really understood their line of reasoning at any point during this game, but now I'm even less invested sooo...meh.

I'm pretty sold on the idea of them wanting to find a way to keep unleashed without it breaking the game.

15 hours ago, barrinmw said:

I absolutely agree with this!

10 hours ago, Artificial Human said:

Only possible if the game had a way to make sales outside of chase rare and ultra rare freestyles, which it really didn't.

I think a better idea would to have made those high value UR cards style specific. Instead of Freestyle URs that everyone needs every style gets one that does what that style does best and not EVERYBODY needs it.

This stuff is gonna keep happening over and over because you can't have a dev team doing their own playtesting.

You need a group of innovative and creative designers, then you need a team of top tier grade A players to playtest and try to break the cards.  Playtesters find broken combos, then dev team takes the feedback and tweaks the cards so negate broken stuff.  

This is the way IT software design and quality assurance works.  Developers write code, a separate team tests the code and provides feed back on if it reaches its intended purposes in an acceptable fashion.  You cant have the same people do both.

5 hours ago, Littlebig said:

I'm pretty sold on the idea of them wanting to find a way to keep unleashed without it breaking the game.

I'm sold on it too.  I think it's another case of inflating a problem because they don't want to admit a mistake (like 16), which is ludicrous because it doesn't diminish the rest of their design until they make it into a big deal.

This line of thinking is only going to result in more unnecessary errata.  

Edison is right too.  Not only are their thoughts inhibited by their perception as a designer, but I get the idea that some are just too personally invested in their designs.  It hinted itself as a problem with the 2 A16 articles, and now it seems believable to think that the same is happening with Unleashed.

23 hours ago, Littlebig said:

I don't think anyone complained about those cards. They limited smoothness drill in the vengeance format, overtime was never a problem, especially not in cell and focusing drill doesn't even make sense. 

Clearly their intent was to nerf Goku because blue terror was never griped about in the past. If they want to stop Goku from abusing it they either ban terror, which they chose to do, or they stop Goku from consistently and quickly reaching arguably his best level which is unleashed. i like playing blue Goku but even I have to admit that unleashed is unfair. I will also be super salty if they ban unleashed because I bought a full price play set just before awakening dropped and bought promo quick blasts to foil out my Goku.

My point was that banning a staple, instead of banning the real problem is retarded. Banning Blue Terror because Blue Goku is broken, is about as dumb as banning Namekian Overtime, instead of nerfing Cell's level 4 power.

3 hours ago, Edison Carasio said:

This stuff is gonna keep happening over and over because you can't have a dev team doing their own playtesting.

You need a group of innovative and creative designers, then you need a team of top tier grade A players to playtest and try to break the cards.  Playtesters find broken combos, then dev team takes the feedback and tweaks the cards so negate broken stuff.  

This is the way IT software design and quality assurance works.  Developers write code, a separate team tests the code and provides feed back on if it reaches its intended purposes in an acceptable fashion.  You cant have the same people do both.

You're right and this is what they do when developing new fighting games. This is why location tests exist, and nowadays they have multi national level champion players ON the dev team.

Someone mentioned trailing blast in here. Was this really a problem? I don't think I've ever heard of anyone complaining about this. While the errata is nice and all giving what they call "underdog" MPs a buff, it still seemed unnecessary.

8 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

I absolutely agree with this!

I think a better idea would to have made those high value UR cards style specific. Instead of Freestyle URs that everyone needs every style gets one that does what that style does best and not EVERYBODY needs it.

GT/Best Dragon Ball TCG did this.

No one liked it.

3 hours ago, Artificial Human said:

GT/Best Dragon Ball TCG did this.

No one liked it.

Noticed that too. I very much enjoyed it though.