Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oranshirt1

Endurance and Can't Be Prevented

7 posts in this topic

If my opponent throws Krillin's Destructo Disc, can I still banish for endurance, even if the endurance won't prevent damage?

As far as I know, yes.  It won't prevent anything like you said, but I believe you can still attempt the prevention.  This allows you to trigger things like Yamcha's rescue even if your opponent threw out a Dig. 

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Unless there is an effect in play that says "You may not use endurance" (there's a blue drill that does this), then you may always banish for endurance, even if it would have no effect (including on the very last card of damage).

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

I thought unpreventable damage included not using endurance- what difference would there be between unstoppable and unpreventable if this wasn't the case? Unpreventable can be stopped but if it hits, you can't use endurance and Unstoppable cannot be stopped, but can be prevented with endurance. KDD for example is unstoppable and unpreventable, if you can use endurance The card basically two unstoppable effects?

You should be able to banish a card for endurance even if the damage is unpreventable i.e. Saiyan Turning Kick you can banish to get the parenthetical effect that says when this card is banished for endurance search your discard pile for a saiyan styled drill and play it, even though it wont count for the endurance will still just count as 1 card. If your opponent has an effect that turns endurance off completely i.e. Broly lv4 from Awakening then mechanic is turned off completely and wouldn't be able to use it. 

Royaken likes this

41 minutes ago, abstraktpb said:

You should be able to banish a card for endurance even if the damage is unpreventable i.e. Saiyan Turning Kick you can banish to get the parenthetical effect that says when this card is banished for endurance search your discard pile for a saiyan styled drill and play it.

100% Accurate. An attack that is unstoppable can still have a stop used on it for the immediate effects. When taking life card damage that is banished, you can still use the Endurance on the cards to banish less cards. When taking damage from an attack that is unpreventable, the Endurance can still be used even though it will not count. Usually that would be dumb and pointless but, like @abstraktpb said, certain cards have effects to sort of jump back from not being able to actually use the endurance against unpreventable attacks. All of these things can actually be found in the CRD Ruling PDF.

PS. Also @abstraktpb, nice pic change buddy. That because of Nappa Clench?

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:15 PM, LordVader said:

I thought unpreventable damage included not using endurance- what difference would there be between unstoppable and unpreventable if this wasn't the case? Unpreventable can be stopped but if it hits, you can't use endurance and Unstoppable cannot be stopped, but can be prevented with endurance. KDD for example is unstoppable and unpreventable, if you can use endurance The card basically two unstoppable effects?

The difference comes in the dichotomy of "Using endurance" and "preventing damage".  To extend your example:

Player plays KDD, unstoppable and unpreventable.  defender starts taking damage and the first card is Point-Blank Volley "Endurance 1 (If this card is banished for Endurance, you may place it in your hand.)".  You choose to banish it for endurance.  The Endurance attempts to prevent 1 life card of damage, but KDD stops that effect.  Place the card in your hand per its parenthetical effect.  Take the rest of the damage from KDD.

So it's not that Endurance can prevent damage in unstoppable or unpreventable attacks.  It's that you can always ACTIVATE the endurance, even if an effect would negate the damage prevention.  The only exception is cards that specifically say "you cannot use endurance" like the blue drill.

LordVader likes this