LordVader

Sooooo

32 posts in this topic

I agree that examples would he more constructive in the development of your set. My issue here is the claim of balance...no one who is making this game right now is doing proper testing, unfortunately. A 230 card set in this time period just really needs MUCH more time in development before a claim of balance can be made.

28 minutes ago, Royaken said:

To begin with, defending myself when I felt someones comment was rude and nonconstructive is not the same remotely as "forcing" my version down anyone's throat.

Listen, I posted in a thread asking for people's opinions on fanz and your cards. I gave my opinion. I didn't post in a thread asking for constructive criticism of your cards, so of course my comment wasn't constructive. Nor was it meant to be because that wasn't the topic at hand. It's not all about you. And you're not doing yourself any favors by rabidly defending yourself in this way when anyone has anything negative to say about your work.

23 minutes ago, v3rse said:

Listen, I posted in a thread asking for people's opinions on fanz and your cards. I gave my opinion. I didn't post in a thread asking for constructive criticism of your cards, so of course my comment wasn't constructive. Nor was it meant to be because that wasn't the topic at hand. It's not all about you. And you're not doing yourself any favors by rabidly defending yourself in this way when anyone has anything negative to say about your work.

The 1st post by @LordVader asks if anyone has play tested them and for specifics. To quote "Anything broken or awesome ideas?" That sounds like asking for constructive information to me. I am also aware this topic is not about me, hence why I apologized to everyone in my last post and said I could've handled it better. I also sent a message to LordVader apologizing. A topic doesn't have to be about a specific individual for that individual to take offense to something someone else said. I've only provided solid defense and definitions in my defense about how what you said was rude but have ALSO said I could have handled it better. Yet here you are saying I rabidly defend myself. Doesn't sound all that rabid to me, the person who posted this topic, or a few other people. But, as I've said before, you're entitled to your opinion :).

EDIT: We gotta move away from this. I've apologized for how I handled it, you haven't, we need to agree to disagree and move on.

EDIT 2: @LordVader, from what I've tried in FanZ's cards, Red Reverse seems pretty strong when using Red Ascension Yamcha considering Ascension gets the effect off really easily, and Yamcha is very Energy based. Also Orange Bicycle Kick, but that's said often enough xD. I gotta admit, I am fond of Pikkon's Sphere tactics, though I feel it should be limited. It's a nice concept but from what I've played so far, it's Super up there in terms of debilitating your opponent. Combine it with Black which already controls your opponent's gameplay to an extent and oooooh jebus.

8 hours ago, Emperor said:

There are over 200 cards in your set, no? I create games and highly doubt that any amount of testing of that many cards since the announcement of the game's death has been sufficient. I also know panZ/fanZ devs do little to no play testing, which is why they print so many obvious problem cards.

I understand the amount of time and effort it takes to create something, and that it's close to your heart, but you shouldn't get so defensive over an opinion. The fact is, no matter what philosophy you have on this officially dead game, fanZ is the universally accepted continuation (for better or worse). Trying to force feed your version down people's throats just isn't going to work. (Which you'll argue against, but the defensive behavior and lashing out proves otherwise). 

Game balance is hard. And for this game especially, with the almost endless combinations of MPs, masteries, and styles, no set of cards should be released without at least 3 months of internal testing and at least 1 month of semi-open beta testing. (Honestly, it should be 6months total, but for a fan set, I get not taking it THAT seriously). Sadly, the fan/panz team barely tests for even a week (if at all. No way Orange bicycle kick should exist). If someone sees balancing issues with your cards, it's time to take a step back, remove your ego, and assess possible issues. Also, 200+ cards is way too much to try and balance in a game like this in a set with minimal testing. (Minimal as in, the game was announced dead in mid-late January. To create a set of 200+ cards and properly test them in just 2 months with the vast library of cards that currently exist AND achieve balance is just highly unlikely.) 

Creating is fine. Posting your creations is fine. Hell, asking people to take a look is fine. But you have to be realistic about your work and expectations of people trying it. As much as you may hate it, fanZ is the "official" continuation of this game. It has communal "credibility" due to the same devs working on it. You're a guy who makes fan cards abd posts them...I'm not belittling you, I'm just letting you know how the community at large perceives this situation. I make dbz cards too, but to expect everyone to move away from the currently progressing game to try out my fan set would just be unrealistic.

Also, you can't say someone who's played the game for literal years actively has a baseless opinion simply because they don't find your cards interesting or balanced. Obvious problem cards are obvious. He's entitled to not liking your creative direction, just like I don't like the creative direction of fan/panZ (it's always been bad design direction with really good mechanics to me).

That said, I wish you luck. Test more and try not to take criticism so harshly.

Seconded, especially the part on removing ego. You'll never address issues/mistakes if you continually get defensive, as seen already throughout this entire topic thread. Instead of being all defensive, maybe you should take the time to understand why people feel your cards are boring or broken, instead of attacking their opinion. From someone who has been there, done that, this is the best course of action.

Grow some thicker skin. You'll need it if you ever aspire to become an actual game designer, especially in this day in age of Social Media.

Chippy
The Agreeable, Level 2

Royaken, abstraktpb and v3rse like this

3 minutes ago, Chipmunk said:

Seconded, especially the part on removing ego. You'll never address issues/mistakes if you continually get defensive, as seen already throughout this entire topic thread. Instead of being all defensive, maybe you should take the time to understand why people feel your cards are boring or broken, instead of attacking their opinion. From someone who has been there, done that, this is the best course of action.

Grow some thicker skin. You'll need it if you ever aspire to become an actual game designer, especially in this day in age of Social Media.

Chippy
The Agreeable, Level 2

I've already apologized and said we should step away from this and provided facts about how I've addressed and changed several suggestions people have made without the "ego" you guys keep mentioning. I'll say again, can we move on from this now?

Just some advice from one creative individual to another, you HAVE, HAVE TO, be able to take constructive criticism from your peers and others. It is how you grow as a creator. Not throwing any shade or anything, just trying to legitimately help you out man. I wish you the best of luck, and am only offering some advice that I wish I learned a LONG time ago.

Royaken likes this

1 minute ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Just some advice from one creative individual to another, you HAVE, HAVE TO, be able to take constructive criticism from your peers and others. It is how you grow as a creator. Not throwing any shade or anything, just trying to legitimately help you out man. I wish you the best of luck, and am only offering some advice that I wish I learned a LONG time ago.

And understand 100% that I appreciate the advice from you, emperor, and chipmunk. And have already apologized for my actions thus far. When it comes down to it from here, I've already mentioned like above that I've taken constructive criticism time and again and worked with it and even thanked for it. The issue was it wasn't constructive, just criticism which v3rse stated himself bellow.

1 hour ago, v3rse said:

I didn't post in a thread asking for constructive criticism of your cards, so of course my comment wasn't constructive.

With an apology, saying I should have reacted differently and asking if we can move on, I feel this should be over with. Thank you again though for the advice. I agree with it 100%.

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this