sh0ryu_repp4

Pre Orders are Up

I think it is only worth pre ordering a box because of that significant discount, if youre planning to just get a starter/promo pack like me, I don't think it is necessary because im sure there will be PLENTY of that product available. Like Im sure this game will be at Target, considering it is Bandai.

only $20 off?  PanZ had the same MSRP and they were avging $65-70 depending on where you got them.  These will probably be down there at Potomac. (tho I'm not a fan of them dropping trou to bill on quantity just to screw over local shops and other outlets, so I won't buy from them)

1 hour ago, Stryyder said:

only $20 off?  PanZ had the same MSRP and they were avging $65-70 depending on where you got them.  These will probably be down there at Potomac. (tho I'm not a fan of them dropping trou to bill on quantity just to screw over local shops and other outlets, so I won't buy from them)

they don't just do it to screw local shops they do it to make money and there entitled to do that, it's just that local shops happen to hurt from it not because of a planned attack.

Knowing the general wholesale price for boxes of PanZ, Potomac gouges the market to get minimal profit at high quantity.  It is a shit tactic.  They are lowering their price to the lowest possible margin to monopolized sales that they BARELY make money from individually, but in volume it eventually adds up.

As buyers, we never really consider the impact because we just want the best price.  But for every person that went to their local shop to try out the game and found no product, because the store knew they wouldn't be able to make money on it, that is the impact.  As a seller, I see these tactics, they are used every day by huge conglomerates like Walmart and Target.  The fact that smaller companies are using them in such a focused fashion is pretty sad.  On this size scale, it has wide reaching effects.

2 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Wow I never knew that. So in the end it is better to support locally?

I hope keeping your money locally isn't a new concept for you :D lol jk. Yes, it is better to support local gaming stores, they're actually dying off in a lot of areas because of the internet. It's hard for them to keep up and the ones that do can only do so because they have the larger player base. We have two solid stores within our region and one is close to death due to shit management. It will be good for the other, which deserves the title champion anyways, but will leave us with less variety. 

yeah.  A lot of game companies, like WotC and Asmodee, are trying to help by mandating that their distributors ONLY sell their products to dedicated brick and mortar stores.  Online Businesses have so little overhead it is much easier for them to sell at rock bottom prices.  Those who don't care about the shipping wait will go to them every time.  Unfortunately, groups like Potomac (who portray's themselves as a "distributor" but is not) who have Brick and Mortar HQs, but also have a HEAVY online presence, are gaming the system to capitalize on this.

On 3/24/2017 at 4:20 PM, Majin Goo said:

I hope keeping your money locally isn't a new concept for you :D lol jk. Yes, it is better to support local gaming stores, they're actually dying off in a lot of areas because of the internet. It's hard for them to keep up and the ones that do can only do so because they have the larger player base. We have two solid stores within our region and one is close to death due to shit management. It will be good for the other, which deserves the title champion anyways, but will leave us with less variety. 

It's not so much that these stores don't want to carry card singles for players to acquire for their decks when they don't want to risk losing money on appealing to niche markets. If local game stores aren't able to restock on supply in order to keep up with demand or have difficulty getting product in from their local distributors then players will get what they need off the internet.

That being said, local game stores still provide a venue for players to socially interact with each other and have fun where they can make due with other ways to make their expenses on keeping their businesses up and running. If a local game store doesn't want to support carrying card singles for specific Trading Card Game / Collectible Card Game products that aren't MTG, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Pokémon that's on them.

I would agree and disagree.  Most players I know that get items off the internet don't do it because their local doesn't have it, it's because it's cheaper.  Most players that play CCGs intently are looking to get the most return on their money.  They think if they buy low they'll make money in the end. (some will break even, most will lose out in the long run.)  This site is evidence.  So many people buying boxes and cases from Potomac and Hills.  same on popo's on FB.  Everyone looking for cases for cheap.  The bulk of sales will be made via internet bulk and not through brick and mortar stores.  The market is even worse for singles.  With singles you not only have to contend with online sellers, you have to contend with EVERY SINGLE PLAYER THAT WALKS IN.  In many games you also have to compete with online trade groups like popo's or virbank.  Saying "if they don't want to support it's on them" is ridiculous.  A shop selling singles is an investment.  They purchase cards and put them in a case, hoping they appreciate in value and eventually they get cash for them.  You know what happens to most of those singles?  They either sit on the shelf or someone uses store credit they got from trading in more singles.  And then when something happens like back in December with PanZ, you are now stuck with upwards of THOUSANDS of cards that NO ONE will want for fair value anymore.  You now have a box of bulk, worth hundreds of dollars a week ago, now worth $50 maybe.  It's not worth the investment for most stores.  Why should they invest their money in cards they will get NO money for, when they can buy boxes of MTG that will sell in mere days as draft sets.  In many industries high risk can equal high reward.  Rarely will that pay off in the CCG/TCG market.  Especially for someone who makes their living off of in-person sales in an increasingly e-business world.  You can stay safe and feed your family, or you can satisfy a few die-hard loyal fans and get top ramen instead of chicken and potatoes.

/soapbox