Sensei Decks were impractical in implementation. I doubt anyone would question that statement. But I think the game needs something like it. I don't think it's right to have to jam in answers to things that aren't being played in any given game, or move them out for space and not have them when you need them. But the game needs answers for specific match ups and I also see why the Sensei deck works the way it does.

So how would you guys mod the Side Deck to work for DBZ?

I'd make it a 6 card deck, enough for two playsets of an answer not covered by your Life Deck, and you can switch any card in your deck before the game commences. I don't think it should be too big given the nature of the game.

This is how I had planned for side decks:

Add 2 minutes to the round time. It won't kill anyone.

Do not reveal your MP or Mastery until the round starts.

Once the round starts both players reveal Mastery and MP combination.

You have 2 minutes to swap cards and shuffle (or risk slow play being called on you).

As soon as both players are done they play as normally.

I would put side decks at 9 cards. 2 minutes is more than enough time, I know it will be hard for some people that play this game since they seem to need 10 minutes to make a decision when they have no cards in hand and nothing on the field. 

I really like the idea of a 10-15 card side deck where you could even have 2 decks in one if built properly. That might give Some cool strategic depth imo. I think more decks would have DBV if that happens.

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Side decks would be great.  IMO, a reasonable argument could be made for a side deck between 6-15 cards.  Players should be able to pick what to swap in and out but it should be limited to styled cards only.

I like the styled card only restriction.  Also I do support a Sensei Deck-like mechanic, PROVIDED they don't make some of the dumb sensei deck cards that Score had.  I played almost exclusively Namekian Physical Beatdown and I remember a black energy attack that  more or less read, "Energy Attack.  If it hits and your opponent declared a Namekian Tokui-Waza, stick it RIGHT UP THEIR ASS.  Right up there."  I think I ever only got hit by one and still won that game but it would be much more poisonous in Pan/FanZ...

PanZ always needed a side deck function because the game is SO matchup heavy if you didn't put in tech for one random ass matchup youre gonna eat shit HARD. A simple 6 card side deck would let you prepare for matchups you might see without watering down your deck.

While I don't think the game needs side boards I would say they need to be small if they were to happen. Like 5 or 6 cards. Any more and you really can completely redesign your deck to meet any threat. Decks should not be able to deal with everything. That's how you end up with one super dominant deck.

But I don't think the game needs them anyways. Part of the skill involved in this game comes from anticipating and preparing for the meta while still maintaining focus on your own strategy. There are plenty of cards these days that deal with multiple threats that makes being prepared very realistic. The number of unwinnable match ups is minimal these days. Decks should have strengths and weaknesses. That's what keeps things interesting. 

10 minutes ago, v3rse said:

While I don't think the game needs side boards I would say they need to be small if they were to happen. Like 5 or 6 cards. Any more and you really can completely redesign your deck to meet any threat. Decks should not be able to deal with everything. That's how you end up with one super dominant deck.

But I don't think the game needs them anyways. Part of the skill involved in this game comes from anticipating and preparing for the meta while still maintaining focus on your own strategy. There are plenty of cards these days that deal with multiple threats that makes being prepared very realistic. The number of unwinnable match ups is minimal these days. Decks should have strengths and weaknesses. That's what keeps things interesting. 

I just don't want sensei decks. This game doesn't need more outside the deck interaction than it already has. While I can see a validity in no side boards I think the game could improve with the implementation of one and would reduce the need for nerfing and banning to an extent since it would reduce centralization to a point.

18 hours ago, Majin Goo said:

This is how I had planned for side decks:

Add 2 minutes to the round time. It won't kill anyone.

Do not reveal your MP or Mastery until the round starts.

Once the round starts both players reveal Mastery and MP combination.

You have 2 minutes to swap cards and shuffle (or risk slow play being called on you).

As soon as both players are done they play as normally.

I would put side decks at 9 cards. 2 minutes is more than enough time, I know it will be hard for some people that play this game since they seem to need 10 minutes to make a decision when they have no cards in hand and nothing on the field. 

I wonder if MP+Mastery is too much knowledge. Maybe MP alone.

17 hours ago, The Bear said:

Side decks would be great.  IMO, a reasonable argument could be made for a side deck between 6-15 cards.  Players should be able to pick what to swap in and out but it should be limited to styled cards only.

But how will I ever play IT'S OVER 9000!!! ?

Actually been seriously thinking about that as a legit answer to anyone planning on camping on F Gohan 1.

15 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

PanZ always needed a side deck function because the game is SO matchup heavy if you didn't put in tech for one random ass matchup youre gonna eat shit HARD. A simple 6 card side deck would let you prepare for matchups you might see without watering down your deck.

Yes. GT realised this by 3 sets in. Don't agree with GT doing Sensei decks like Z, especially Sensei themselves, but it's a point over Pan Z.

14 hours ago, v3rse said:

I don't disgaree that decks should have weaknesses, I am very against Freestyle and style homogenization for that very reason, but as I said, you don't want to be using cards that are matchup dependent when it's not that matchup.

48 minutes ago, Edison Carasio said:

Sensei decks was fine.

Pan/Fan z needs side boards.

They'd need to be 6 or less cards.

6 Cards sounds like the perfect number tbh. you could put 3 tech cards and have 2 copies of each or two with 3 cards each

6 hours ago, ChangelingBard said:

Side decks are dumb, go with your win condition and counter all the counters to that win condition.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Your opponent's Win Condition counters your Win Condition.

Therefore you must counter everything.

7 hours ago, Artificial Human said:

Your opponent's Win Condition counters your Win Condition.

Therefore you must counter everything.

1 hour ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

giphy.gif

Says the people who never topped in any major tournament.

43 minutes ago, Edison Carasio said:

Remind me what major tournaments you topped in?

He topped in a Regional last season with a Red Roshi. 

4 minutes ago, Majin Goo said:

He topped in a Regional last season with a Red Roshi. 

I've topped 10x or more that many dbz events so my opinion must be 10x more right than his by that logic. 

Since I've already spoken then thread is over per changelinghard.

Lock it up, thanks for coming.

9 minutes ago, Edison Carasio said:

I've topped 10x or more that many dbz events so my opinion must be 10x more right than his by that logic. 

And I agree with you. I don't need 100 titles under my belt to know that side decks are needed in this game. 20 years of table top gaming makes it easy to see that anything that minimizes or mitigates luck, in this case, the luck of match-ups, is healthy for a competitive environment. 

It also has the added benefit of freeing up deck space making room for more creative builds. 

1 hour ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Oh right I forgot that if you top a major tournament that means you're automatically right about everything, and can never take anything from outside influences...

This is correct.  I once turned a cow into a chicken because I told it that it was a chicken and not cow.  

6 minutes ago, Edison Carasio said:

But I only went to 1 tournament and got my world spot.  How can you go to ten times and not even get 1 spot? You should have like 10! It's easy! Just 

Assholeness aside, I find this argument (the sidedeck thing) to be the same as increasing decksize.  Something unnecessary save for the select few that think it will personally give them and advantage even though there is none to gain.

Also the game is dead, just do your sidedeck ideas at locals or with friends.  You'll have a much more positive experience than complaining on a forum about a game that we should all let die.