Card Slinger J

My Current Dilemma

50 posts in this topic

So around late December last year I borrowed cards from my friend Ben Mason for a Red Ascension Piccolo deck that I was wanting to playtest (shortly before Panini broke the news about the game getting discontinued from their corporate buyout with Bandai Namco) which consisted of a Non-Rainbow Prism Premiere Set Piccolo MP stack 1-4 with a playset of Non-Foil Piccolo's Weighted Clothing's that were signed by Larry Kenney the voice actor of Lion-O from the original Thundercats cartoon series which I ended up forgetting to return to Ben since he'd been busy with work so I ended up having to wait 5 months to return the cards back to him with my other friend Bryce Evans claiming that the cards were his when it just so turned out that it was originally Dustin Mahwin's since he was the one who got the cards signed though I haven't really heard from him since he moved to St. Louis before the game died.

Ben ended up gaining possession of the Piccolo cards from Dustin when he traded him a Villainous Energy Sphere from Premiere Set when it was still around $85-100+ a piece during the first DBZ Regional we went to at Collector's Cache in Overland Park, Kansas. At one point the Piccolo cards were Bryce's then Dustin managed to get the cards from him for reasons which I don't know about since I wasn't there when the incident occurred which later they came under the ownership of Ben who I borrowed the cards from when just recently Bryce warned me not to return the cards back to Ben as they haven't spoken to each other in months to reconcile their differences with one another. So what ended up happening is that I ended up becoming the victim of circumstance to a situation that wasn't even my fault to begin with all because I wanted to playtest a deck that I was eager to try out at the time.

Having felt guilty for my decision to return the cards to Ben I felt that I owe Bryce an apology for what I did since If I ended up returning the cards to the wrong person then I'd only have myself to blame yet I'd feel bad for not telling him knowing that he'd get pissed at me for what I did when not telling him anything at all would only delay the problem further and since Ben still holds a grudge against Bryce for something that's completely out of my control there's nothing much I can do to help my two friends reconcile their differences with each other. I was planning on talking to Ben about it however he's been busy with work and hasn't shown up at my LGS's for sometime now and If I ended up calling him on the phone he'd probably think something suspicious might be going on or something. I already talked to my friend Nathan about it and he knows for a FACT that I did the right thing as I hope I don't end up getting sued in court over this.

1 hour ago, ChangelingBard said:

..... but why would you get sued? 

For potentially returning someone's cards to the wrong owner?

There definitely won't be a lawsuit.  

You should've returned the cards to Ben since that's who you borrowed the cards from, and the rest is heresay.  You can't control if other people are going to gossip or hold grudges or whatever.  Literally it doesn't sound like you owe anyone apologies.  Get out of this because it's toxic asf.  Let them handle their relationship problems themselves.

25 minutes ago, LeluGhost said:

There definitely won't be a lawsuit.  

You should've returned the cards to Ben since that's who you borrowed the cards from, and the rest is heresay.  You can't control if other people are going to gossip or hold grudges or whatever.  Literally it doesn't sound like you owe anyone apologies.  Get out of this because it's toxic asf.  Let them handle their relationship problems themselves.

That's exactly what I did however If Bryce finds out about it then he's going to take his anger out on me when I didn't do anything wrong at least according to my knowledge. If he doesn't bring it up then it's best not to bring the subject up to him by letting it go, we've known each other since the early 2000's and have been friends ever since especially after all the times I've helped him out by giving him a ride home when he'd be forced to walk home otherwise.

10 hours ago, Card Slinger J said:

That's exactly what I did however If Bryce finds out about it then he's going to take his anger out on me when I didn't do anything wrong at least according to my knowledge. If he doesn't bring it up then it's best not to bring the subject up to him by letting it go, we've known each other since the early 2000's and have been friends ever since especially after all the times I've helped him out by giving him a ride home when he'd be forced to walk home otherwise.

Tell him to get his shit together, you returned something you borrowed.

I'd go with the Solomon Solution: cut the cards in half and give each half to one of the guys claiming ownership.

But really tho, I dont think you are on the hook for anything.  You returned the cards to the person you borrowed them from.  Any trades conducted that change the ownership of the cards while they are in your possession is not your responsibility as you do not own the cards.  Your responsibility is to return them to the owner when asked; if the ownership of the cards was in question at the time you sent them back then you did right by sending them to the person you borrowed them from.

The following is not intended to be legal advice in any way:

As far as getting sued?  I wouldn't worry about it.  The value of these cards is too low to justify litigation of any sort in civil court.  You did nothing criminal, so nothing to worry about in that regard either.

LeluGhost likes this

49 minutes ago, Edison Carasio said:

I tried to read it and don't even understand it.  I lose my focus after the first few sentences 

Same

LeluGhost likes this

2 hours ago, Emperor said:

The best course of action was returning the cards to who you borrowed them from. Everything else has nothing to do with you. 

This is always the best course of action. I always return a borrowed item to whom I got it from no matter the situation. Even if the person tells me to give them to someone else. I give them back to whom I got them from and tell them to do it themselves. 

LeluGhost likes this

2 hours ago, v3rse said:

How is this the most active topic on the site? 

We've hit rock bottom.

2 hours ago, Edison Carasio said:

I tried to read it and don't even understand it.  I lose my focus after the first few sentences 

It's really confusing at what the actual issue is.

Card Slinger J, The Bear and v3rse like this

3 hours ago, v3rse said:

How is this the most active topic on the site? 

Well, as I have said before, the two games on this site consist of a dead game, and a bad game nobody can play or even buy if they wanted to lol

18 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Well, as I have said before, the two games on this site consist of a dead game, and a bad game nobody can play or even buy if they wanted to lol

Hey, my local game store finally got some starter decks in for one of those games :D

Still no packs...

As for the other game, it's only mostly dead. There are still both fan games (Okay, I know waaay more than 2 at this point) running around! Then again, I still play a game that's been dead dead for 15 years now... I just don't know when to let go.

22 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

a bad game nobody can play or even buy if they wanted to lol

Just because you can't understand dice rolls doesn't make Destiny a bad game.  Did they drop the ball on cards? Yes, second printing is fixing that though.

The Bear likes this

33 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Come on man. If we wish hard enough, Dragon Ball doesn't have to be dead.

Now I feel lame.

16 minutes ago, ChangelingBard said:

Just because you can't understand dice rolls doesn't make Destiny a bad game.  Did they drop the ball on cards? Yes, second printing is fixing that though.

I don't know if it will ever get better. I was looking at getting into Destiny, then I saw a great and wonderful review of FFGs plan for release on the game. After this, each non-core set gets a single print run. That's it. You don't get your cards. Sucks to be you. 

"Going forwards, there will be two expansion sets and one base set every year. Base sets will remain in print as much as possible for one year, after which they will be replaced by a new base set. Expansion sets will have one printing, which will be released to retailers in waves, in order to bring product to retailers as quickly as possible."

Link in case you are curious: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/28/there-has-been-an-awakening-1/

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

5 hours ago, Amanax said:

I don't know if it will ever get better. I was looking at getting into Destiny, then I saw a great and wonderful review of FFGs plan for release on the game. After this, each non-core set gets a single print run. That's it. You don't get your cards. Sucks to be you. 

"Going forwards, there will be two expansion sets and one base set every year. Base sets will remain in print as much as possible for one year, after which they will be replaced by a new base set. Expansion sets will have one printing, which will be released to retailers in waves, in order to bring product to retailers as quickly as possible."

Link in case you are curious: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/28/there-has-been-an-awakening-1/

Is pre-ordering not a thing anymore?  As long as you can pre-order I don't see anything wrong with this format,  Base Sets will be released for a year and you just better make sure you get your pre-order in for expansion sets.  

2 hours ago, ChangelingBard said:

Is pre-ordering not a thing anymore?  As long as you can pre-order I don't see anything wrong with this format,  Base Sets will be released for a year and you just better make sure you get your pre-order in for expansion sets.  

Not every player will have money at the time of a pre-order.  And many players rely on singles for individual decks in games.  I don't know anything about whatever game you guys are talking about but doing a single print run per set of a game seems like suicide leading to a money game. 

The Bear and sh0ryu_repp4 like this

20 minutes ago, Edison Carasio said:

Not every player will have money at the time of a pre-order.  And many players rely on singles for individual decks in games.  I don't know anything about whatever game you guys are talking about but doing a single print run per set of a game seems like suicide leading to a money game. 

Good points. I guess we will have to see what happens when the expansion sets run out.

7 hours ago, ChangelingBard said:

Good points. I guess we will have to see what happens when the expansion sets run out.

Edison brings up the reasons why I was scared away from the game. Not always have the money on hand to drop on the several boxes at once to for sure get my play sets. 

But they already did a reprinting of this set due to popular demand, so who knows. They could change their mindset on the whole ordeal.

17 hours ago, ChangelingBard said:

Just because you can't understand dice rolls doesn't make Destiny a bad game.

I understand it is a bad game.