Amanax

Make 'Em Great!

Well, it's been slow lately. I get it. But hey, how about a new challenge. There was already the Make 16 great post and although there were some people who believed they found some good stuff, it got scrapped with FanZ it seems.

So new challenge. Nail. The Warrior from Namek. 

Can you make this downtrodden warrior work?

32 minutes ago, Majin Goo said:

In Orange Retribution any MP can be great :D 

I certainly don't disagree about Retribution being good at propping up weaker MPs. But Nail has no interaction with the mastery or the rest of the deck that has been proven to work well with Retribution. Not sure he could hold up to any of the other even lower class MPs (Such as Garlic) who are now experimenting with Retribution.

Not saying no, just saying I am not feeling it, unless you have a unique idea on how to make use of Nail's stack/cards for it?

Personally I am putting together Knowledge deck. Should have synergy with his named cards, and his levels 3/4. The problem I am finding so far, is that his level 1/2 have such low interaction with the rest of the deck it's proving a bit rough. Wondering if building the deck a bit more aggressive might be a good way to try and make use of those two levels or not. To testing!

2 minutes ago, Amanax said:

I certainly don't disagree about Retribution being good at propping up weaker MPs. But Nail has no interaction with the mastery or the rest of the deck that has been proven to work well with Retribution. Not sure he could hold up to any of the other even lower class MPs (Such as Garlic) who are now experimenting with Retribution.

Not saying no, just saying I am not feeling it, unless you have a unique idea on how to make use of Nail's stack/cards for it?

Personally I am putting together Knowledge deck. Should have synergy with his named cards, and his levels 3/4. The problem I am finding so far, is that his level 1/2 have such low interaction with the rest of the deck it's proving a bit rough. Wondering if building the deck a bit more aggressive might be a good way to try and make use of those two levels or not. To testing!

I'm not going to lie, his levels 3 and 4 are good levels and I would consider... Unleashed or Namekian Leaping Kick to get there and do a beats deck. Otherwise, I would find a way to camp level 2 which isn't a bad level especially against Endurance heavy Saiyan decks. Unfortunately, Nail was made during a time when Panini was still afraid to make good stacks and create characters with strong overall synergy. 

Unleashed Retribution? Really? With all those...great...orange attach cards... I mean I guess there is always Quick Blast since he is hero. I have a hard time justifying Unleashed in Retribution right now, since the deck can already anger out pretty easily. I'm probably wrong on that, since it is always a "am I MPPV? No, then unleashed it is!" kind of deal these days.

I like the camp 2 idea. What about possibly a Red Ruthless Nail? Or a Blue Resolute Nail? Both have pretty decent aggressive card pools to make use of his effect. 

Going back to Unleashed Nail, in Red he would have access to the Trailing Blast Shenanigans as well.

11 minutes ago, Amanax said:

Unleashed Retribution? Really? With all those...great...orange attach cards... I mean I guess there is always Quick Blast since he is hero. I have a hard time justifying Unleashed in Retribution right now, since the deck can already anger out pretty easily. I'm probably wrong on that, since it is always a "am I MPPV? No, then unleashed it is!" kind of deal these days.

I like the camp 2 idea. What about possibly a Red Ruthless Nail? Or a Blue Resolute Nail? Both have pretty decent aggressive card pools to make use of his effect. 

Going back to Unleashed Nail, in Red he would have access to the Trailing Blast Shenanigans as well.

I feel like his levels 2, 3, and 4 are all really well suited for Red Ruthless Mastery but getting stuck at one would be bad and to a lesser extent 3.

3 wouldn't be awful I don't think. I mean, between Ruthless and his passive level 3 buff your physicals would all be at +5 stages. Not great, but it's better than nothing. The rest of his level 3 would probably feel pretty garbage 99.99999% of the time in that deck however.

I built a restored deck on paper trying to take advantage of newer cards like namekian thrust, grab, and aggressive drill. Using both leaping kick and unleashed  (and a small amount of anger) to try to get to lv 4 as quickly as possible. Haven't tested it, but it seems fun. 

12 minutes ago, v3rse said:

I built a restored deck on paper trying to take advantage of newer cards like namekian thrust, grab, and aggressive drill. Using both leaping kick and unleashed  (and a small amount of anger) to try to get to lv 4 as quickly as possible. Haven't tested it, but it seems fun. 

Do iiiit. ;)

That could certainly be worth something. I'll be taking mine to locals tomorrow night. I'll better know what works and what doesn't with the deck after that. But if it doesn't function at all, I might try a restored build.

Orange Nail was a decent tier 2 deck at some point.  Using his named cards can be tricky; you have to make sure Dashing Attack hits for it to really be effective in a long game.  I could see him working well with Orange Retribution as a MPPV/DBV deck.

17 hours ago, Amanax said:

Unleashed Retribution? Really? With all those...great...orange attach cards...

That aint really the point tho, it is just to get him to level up. the attach cards are just another cost the way i look at it

7 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

That aint really the point tho, it is just to get him to level up. the attach cards are just another cost the way i look at it

Fair enough. I really only have used Unleashed in a few decks as I usually have a level camper or MPPV deck. The few that did use unleash, also had great attached cards that it wanted to get out asap. But you make a good point. 

I actually put together a Knowledge Nail physical beats running unleashed and namekian leaping kick.  Level 3 with Namekian Backhand or built in smoothness level 4!  Threw in some cool Namekian drills and Namekian crossed guards. 

I have nobody to playtest with, though.  It could be total garbage.  Also need set 8 cards for it. : /

7 hours ago, Thearbiter20x6 said:

I actually put together a Knowledge Nail physical beats running unleashed and namekian leaping kick.  Level 3 with Namekian Backhand or built in smoothness level 4!  Threw in some cool Namekian drills and Namekian crossed guards. 

I have nobody to playtest with, though.  It could be total garbage.  Also need set 8 cards for it. : /

Pretty much what I did except restored is far superior to knowledge in this case.

My only other ideas that might work are retribution or ruthless. Ruthless could be ok, but so many other mp's will do it better. Retribution with or without unleashed could be good though. His Named attack works well with it and it's another target for orange uppercut. If I did this i would probably try unleashed with a small drill package to take advantage of orange dressing room. Which is a great often overlooked card that's perfect for this deck. Nails attack also fills a void in auto crits which orange physical beats lacks without being forced to run launcher. Not to mention the orange cards that patch up nails AT damage. 

3 hours ago, v3rse said:

Pretty much what I did except restored is far superior to knowledge in this case.

My only other ideas that might work are retribution or ruthless. Ruthless could be ok, but so many other mp's will do it better. Retribution with or without unleashed could be good though. His Named attack works well with it and it's another target for orange uppercut. If I did this i would probably try unleashed with a small drill package to take advantage of orange dressing room. Which is a great often overlooked card that's perfect for this deck. Nails attack also fills a void in auto crits which orange physical beats lacks without being forced to run launcher. Not to mention the orange cards that patch up nails AT damage. 

I feel like I'm going to draw a lot of dead cards, so I am using knowledge for hand filtration (also not using a whole lot of rejuv apart from hybrid defense).  Really I am constantly baffled that knowledge decks don't draw more dead hands considering they need to run 7 balls + setups... if I were to try that I guarantee you I'd be drawing constant bricks.

**EDIT: Though that crit protection on my one ball (ball 7 ofc) would be pretty sick.

2 hours ago, Thearbiter20x6 said:

I feel like I'm going to draw a lot of dead cards, so I am using knowledge for hand filtration (also not using a whole lot of rejuv apart from hybrid defense).  Really I am constantly baffled that knowledge decks don't draw more dead hands considering they need to run 7 balls + setups... if I were to try that I guarantee you I'd be drawing constant bricks.

**EDIT: Though that crit protection on my one ball (ball 7 ofc) would be pretty sick.

Do you have your masteries mixed up? Restored does hand filtration. Knowledge does crit protection. 

26 minutes ago, v3rse said:

Do you have your masteries mixed up? Restored does hand filtration. Knowledge does crit protection. 

Wow DERP yes I totally have my masteries mixed up.  I built a Namekian RESTORED Nail, not Knowledge. xD  So it seems we're in perfect agreement.

Welp, my first real night of testing Nail went alright I guess. The first game, I thought I was onto something when I MPPV'd against an Orange Cooler deck. Second game, was up against a Blue Resolute 18 (FanZ level 2) and things started off really well. I was out pressuring and taking all of the little advantages I could. However, there was just this breaking point I must have reached where my deck just ran out of steam. Next thing I know, I go from fully in control of the game to having lost in two combats. The other matches I had, never got off level 1, and just got stomped.

Certainly going to make some tweaks. I liked knowledge, and it felt pretty good overall, but like I said, there was just a point I would hit where I couldn't rejuv anymore and once that point was reached, I lost. Thinking I might try restored and take a look at using an Unleashed Engine as Namekian has a couple decent attach cards I might be able to take advantage of. 

Anyone else having any luck with their nail decks?