Littlebig

Orange adept mastery

10 posts in this topic

I feel like this mastery would be much better if it's main power was continuous rather than a lightning effect. I'm talking of course about its ability to tutor drills from the deck. The limit of "2 or less" or "3 or less" whichever it is would still be there but I think this minor tweak would really help it shine. 

I can see some messed up 13 and  broly decks becoming a similar variant to saiyan empowered beatdown but it would go from dumpster fire trash to actually being playable.

what do you guys think? Broken? Or is this maybe something the fanZ developers should consider?

Basically the effect will read "after a successful attack, if you control less than 3 drills, search your life deck for a styled drill and place it into play."

There's definitely too many constraints on the mastery currently. Either making the search effect useable multiple times per combat or removing the drill limit would go a long way towards making the mastery more viable.

The only thing needed to counter this mastery is to block attacks. Which a lot of decks are really good at, and all decks are at least competent at. That's a huge weakness. There needs to be more upside in return. Unlimited drill search would free up a lot of space in deck by not needing to play cards that search for drills themselves. Probably wouldn't be tier 1 still because these days those drill search cards are very good, so you don't even gain a ton by not having to play them. But as it stands now retribution is superior for orange physical beats even though adept is specifically designed for that purpose. 

19 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

You can't have a continuous ability for a triggered effect.

*Continuous* "Your Styled attacks gain Hit: If you have 2 or less drills in play, you may search your life deck for a styled drill and place it into play"

Courtesy of Orange Captivity Drill and Orange Adept Mastery.

I've also felt it would be much stronger if it could have continued... or worked on your non-styled attacks

1 minute ago, Amanax said:

*Continuous* "Your Styled attacks gain Hit: If you have 2 or less drills in play, you may search your life deck for a styled drill and place it into play"

Courtesy of Orange Captivity Drill and Orange Adept Mastery.

I've also felt it would be much stronger if it could have continued... or worked on your non-styled attacks

Maybe I am misunderstanding the point, but isn't that the same thing just worded differently?

Pretty much. The difference is that with the lightning bolt, it's once per combat. Unless I and my entire play group has been wrong about that this entire time

I played around with Orange Adept a bit. I tried to play to it, an aggressive physical package with very few Drills, honestly just the +Stage damage Drills and Focusing iirc. it's just too slow imo.

It's got two main issues, firstly, it's on HIT. The entire Drill Engine is on HIT. That's slow as fuck and Orange doesn't really have enough Remain or native Card Draw to make it happen. Secondly, the rejuvenation clause. Getting everything back in when you jump around two levels can be a pain. One level, easy peasy, two, eh. Not sure why it couldn't rejuvenate up to 3.

Frankly, the Mastery would have been better in Red or Saiyan rather than Orange. It suits their card pools better.

The Bear, Littlebig and v3rse like this

12 minutes ago, Artificial Human said:

I played around with Orange Adept a bit. I tried to play to it, an aggressive physical package with very few Drills, honestly just the +Stage damage Drills and Focusing iirc. it's just too slow imo.

It's got two main issues, firstly, it's on HIT. The entire Drill Engine is on HIT. That's slow as fuck and Orange doesn't really have enough Remain or native Card Draw to make it happen. Secondly, the rejuvenation clause. Getting everything back in when you jump around two levels can be a pain. One level, easy peasy, two, eh. Not sure why it couldn't rejuvenate up to 3.

Frankly, the Mastery would have been better in Red or Saiyan rather than Orange. It suits their card pools better.

The only "Success" I have had with adept is with Broly. Face Crusher... Charge?  and some other card with conditional remain in play. Plus a few of the newer cards that give card draw on condition. It was successful in that it got it's drills out and beat the living snot out of people once it got rolling. But it was slow. If you could take it down before the wall was built, or it leveled at a bad time, it was a bad day.

That sounds about right. It seemed to me that the "support" for adept was merely fixing what was wrong with the mastery in the first place. Orange is my favorite color in the game and it pains me that one of its masteries is just balls. 

A continuous on hit effect for the first part of the mastery.

rejuvenating 3 drills instead of one would help a lot too especially since the mastery points to a low count drill style. But it doesn't really have any awesome combos it can pull off nor can you really find a set of 3 styled drills that synergize well enough outside of beatdown. 

Ive read it on here before that red ruthless does what adept wants to do, but better. at this point it might as well not even have been made.

edit: mastery shouldn't be on HIT. Make them immediate effects added to styled attacks and place a cap on the mastery. Rejuvenate 3 drills when you level and done. You have a good mastery. I think that would be good anyway at least without being super broken. Really think fanZ should consider this