Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Artificial Human

Should Fan Z just be MP/Masterys?

11 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about this for a bit. Who knows how long Fan Z will go for? It's not paid, they don't update the dead zone often, not many stuck around for Fan Z in the grand scheme of things. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I could easily see the developers saying any given release is the last one.

So that this reaches the Z conclusion, should Fan Z drop the normal cards and make the remaining sets large MP+Mastery+Named expansion sets? Finish Z, give another round or two of Masteries and maybe do some patchwork MP/Named Cards to help older Stacks.

I tend to agree with your more pessimistic view.  It's only a matter of time before they call it quits as they are not paid and this undoubtedly takes a lot of time.  However, doing only MPs/Named/Masteries could be the sweet spot.  However, NOTHING is going to happen if they don't freaking tell us when West/South/Grand/Supreme Kai events are.  I am going to get wrecked by plane ticket prices if they don't hurry it up. 

28 minutes ago, Thearbiter20x6 said:

However, NOTHING is going to happen if they don't freaking tell us when West/South/Grand/Supreme Kai events are.  I am going to get wrecked by plane ticket prices if they don't hurry it up. 

West Kai is June 17th.  I have no idea why they haven't announced it other than possibly giving up after the reaction to the last set.

As for the topic, if they keep making shit like that Orange Bicycle Kick they should just stick to Mps that are broken so it's easier to ignore.

Honestly, I agree with the pessimistic view, however I think there might be a few other sweet spots to consider before they go to straight MP/Masteries. For one, they're in a unique situation as compared to official card games where they're able to retroactively nerf cards (excluding the obvious YGO errata comparison), and with that in mind, they could probably take a look at some of the cards made by fans and just modify them to be slightly more/less powerful as is needed post-release based on the comments of the fandom.

In effect, they could very much choose to act as a governing body of FanZ, as opposed to attempting to be a kind of official producer. This isn't to say they stop making cards, but more that they significantly lesser their load with the support of the community. This said, of course, none of this COULD come to fruition without constant communication and interaction between FanZ's body and the playerbase. If there is one thing that could kill this game, it's an absence of solid and consistent communication. There's also room to go into a donation based model, but I don't know if the playerbase has the size needed to maintain it.

Also, in general experience, I find fan communities get a lot more involved and excitable if you open doors for their continued involvement (as with the ability to create cards if you win tournaments). Of course, that kind of model would need restrictions to make sure they don't get swamped for submissions. This could be as simple as "you put it on the forum, and we'll look it over and contact you about what we like", to "we will open up submissions on these dates, each person gets X number of submissions".

All that said, I hope we get a Freestyle Mastery before the game finally stops xD

16 minutes ago, ChangelingBard said:

West Kai is June 17th.  I have no idea why they haven't announced it other than possibly giving up after the reaction to the last set.

As for the topic, if they keep making shit like that Orange Bicycle Kick they should just stick to Mps that are broken so it's easier to ignore.

ARG!  Where can I find this information?  I google it and NOTHING comes up.  This is getting irritating.  This is the only forum I participate in and I check the Dead Zone blog.  why WOULDN'T they post it on the blog? 

25 minutes ago, Thearbiter20x6 said:

ARG!  Where can I find this information?  I google it and NOTHING comes up.  This is getting irritating.  This is the only forum I participate in and I check the Dead Zone blog.  why WOULDN'T they post it on the blog? 

Norcal DBZ TCG  facebook group.  It was posted by one of the owners of Forgotten Path Games.

Just now, ChangelingBard said:

Norcal DBZ TCG  facebook group.  It was posted by one of the owners of Forgotten Path Games.

-_- Sigh.  So only the locals got the info.  If they want this to work, they need to be better at announcing this crap well in advance.  Although I don't know if I'll be going to this one anyway.  Still.

Thanks for the info!

2 hours ago, Thearbiter20x6 said:

I tend to agree with your more pessimistic view.  It's only a matter of time before they call it quits as they are not paid and this undoubtedly takes a lot of time.  However, doing only MPs/Named/Masteries could be the sweet spot.  However, NOTHING is going to happen if they don't freaking tell us when West/South/Grand/Supreme Kai events are.  I am going to get wrecked by plane ticket prices if they don't hurry it up. 

They've been lacking on other fronts too. MPs were meant to have hitech versions. They do, but they never made the finalised versions of them. I have personally asked on Retro, nadda from the Fan Z Developers. Asked twice too.

2 hours ago, Thearbiter20x6 said:

-_- Sigh.  So only the locals got the info.  If they want this to work, they need to be better at announcing this crap well in advance.  Although I don't know if I'll be going to this one anyway.  Still.

Thanks for the info!

He's told me that he's going to make a Facebook event for this. I'm thinking it will also be posted on The Dead Zone whenever they post next. There's also a cash tournament Memorial Day weekend.

Since you're not going to go to either event, it doesn't really matter to you either way. I'm guessing it'll be between 20-30 people with people from as far as SoCal to Reno.

16 minutes ago, Hellsfire said:

He's told me that he's going to make a Facebook event for this. I'm thinking it will also be posted on The Dead Zone whenever they post next. There's also a cash tournament Memorial Day weekend.

Since you're not going to go to either event, it doesn't really matter to you either way. I'm guessing it'll be between 20-30 people with people from as far as SoCal to Reno.

I might have been able to go if I knew ahead of time.  Now plane tickets are over $700.  Screw that.

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

On 10/05/2017 at 10:32 AM, ChangelingBard said:

It's kinda funny, actually. H&V introduced a lot of half assed archetypes, they try to finish one and they break it.

Red Drills being broken when?