Artificial Human

Should Fan Z make Combos a thing?

22 posts in this topic

Pan Z never really had many awesome combination plays, just Red Shoulder Grab into things with remain effects, which, while powerful, is really boring and didn't have much versatility as a combo as it was only relevant under one mastery that it was probably designed for.

Since Fan Z is in a point where it has to power creep to remain relevant, should it instead of straight power creep go for cards meant to be used in tandem with other cards? Maybe even go back and make older cards and ideas into a combo.

Same question as Shoryu. I'm not really in favor of a "combo" mechanic, but the idea of card synergies is REALLY my jam.

17 minutes ago, Thearbiter20x6 said:

Well, Orange Uppercut + Orange Bicycle Kick + Orange Investigation Drill + Orange Checkup Drill was pretty combo-tastic last weekend. :P

But Orange totally isn't broken... lol

EDIT: This shows how little I have been paying attention to FanZ, Bicycle kick is an energy attack card marked as a physical attack.... loooolwut

26 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

EDIT: This shows how little I have been paying attention to FanZ, Bicycle kick is an energy attack card marked as a physical attack.... loooolwut

Yeah man it's SOOOOOOO brokesauce.  I get both those drills and I basically get THREE extra cards that combat.  Drawku got nothin'! They are also being modified to Broly levels of damage.  It's CRUSHING. But people kept using it in Orange Ret as a mere tutor! ADEPT FTW

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

59 minutes ago, Thearbiter20x6 said:

Well, Orange Uppercut + Orange Bicycle Kick + Orange Investigation Drill + Orange Checkup Drill was pretty combo-tastic last weekend. :P

How is Orange investigation drill giving you card draw?

5 minutes ago, v3rse said:

How is Orange investigation drill giving you card draw?

Ugh not investigation...Intimidating.  Gonna edit my post to be correct.

46 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Isn't there already an Orange Energy Attack that performs a physical attack? it banishes or destroys an Ally. From set 3

I'd like cards to combo more with one another, but within reason. Cards should have effects that allow you to interact or chain with other cards in your deck, and not just have mastery combinations with parenthetical text.

Just now, Thearbiter20x6 said:

Ugh not investigation...Intimidation.  Gonna edit my post to be correct.

Also doesn't intimidatING drill already need to be in play before bicycle kick to get the draw?

1 minute ago, v3rse said:

Also doesn't intimidatING drill already need to be in play before bicycle kick to get the draw?

Yes it does but with Adept that's easy!

Son of a...you'd think I would know the names of my own key cards.

v3rse likes this

3 minutes ago, Thearbiter20x6 said:

Yes it does but with Adept that's easy!

Son of a...you'd think I would know the names of my own key cards.

Also, off topic but just curious. Did you ever consider perfection cell lv 1 instead for your build? It would seem to have a lot of the same advantages but maintains stage pressure and forces them to hold energy blocks. You would lose the ally banish which is useful against namekian gohan but useless in a lot of other match ups. Especially if you're already packing Orange stare down and empowered kick with the uppercut tutor. Curious what your thoughts are.

10 minutes ago, v3rse said:

Also, off topic but just curious. Did you ever consider perfection cell lv 1 instead for your build? It would seem to have a lot of the same advantages but maintains stage pressure and forces them to hold energy blocks. You would lose the ally banish which is useful against namekian gohan but useless in a lot of other match ups. Especially if you're already packing Orange stare down and empowered kick with the uppercut tutor. Curious what your thoughts are.

It crossed my mind in the past, but Gohan's "make everything styled" is SOOO useful.  Things like Heroic Dashing Punch, Dig, etc. which are GREAT openers can now get those drills out ASAP.  Heck one of my favorite things to do is to open up with Gohan's level 1 against a deck that isn't running allies.  Either they waste a block on a decoy attack or I get my drill.  It's kind of a loss for them either way.

Also, I have an orange distracting drill so I can keep up the AT damage even without stages.  If I am fighting against another physical beats deck that card can be the MVP. 

And I actually don't even run orange empowered kick.  I fully depend on gohan lv 1 and orange stare down for ally removal.  Orange uppercut almost always goes into bicycle kick.  Cell would have the nice advantage of running sagacious strike, but the skip from Heroic Dashing Punch can and has won games.  It's just too good.

2 minutes ago, Thearbiter20x6 said:

It crossed my mind in the past, but Gohan's "make everything styled" is SOOO useful.  Things like Heroic Dashing Punch, Dig, etc. which are GREAT openers can now get those drills out ASAP.  Heck one of my favorite things to do is to open up with Gohan's level 1 against a deck that isn't running allies.  Either they waste a block on a decoy attack or I get my drill.  It's kind of a loss for them either way.

Also, I have an orange distracting drill so I can keep up the AT damage even without stages.  If I am fighting against another physical beats deck that card can be the MVP. 

And I actually don't even run orange charged kick.  I fully depend on gohan lv 1 and orange stare down for ally removal.  Orange uppercut almost always goes into bicycle kick.  Cell would have the nice advantage of running sagacious strike, but the skip from Heroic Dashing Punch can and has won games.  It's just too good.

I thought that might be your response, and those are very valid reasons.

Distracting drill can be a huge advantage for cell though as well. It allows you to not really care about having slightly lower brackets. And it makes his attack do 8+ stages every combat that probably won't be blocked. Cell's hit effect is really just gravy and mostly just makes up for having a slightly lower pur unless, like you said, you're against a physical beats deck in which case it will help mitigate some damage. 

I mostly just meant that if you weren't using gohan you could fill that ally hate hole pretty easily. And I agree, skip effects in physical beats can be a game changer and are often criminally underrated. 

18 minutes ago, v3rse said:

I thought that might be your response, and those are very valid reasons.

Distracting drill can be a huge advantage for cell though as well. It allows you to not really care about having slightly lower brackets. And it makes his attack do 8+ stages every combat that probably won't be blocked. Cell's hit effect is really just gravy and mostly just makes up for having a slightly lower pur unless, like you said, you're against a physical beats deck in which case it will help mitigate some damage. 

I mostly just meant that if you weren't using gohan you could fill that ally hate hole pretty easily. And I agree, skip effects in physical beats can be a game changer and are often criminally underrated. 

Yeah that actually would be one huge advantage to running Cell; his lv 1 also does stages of damage.  I actually do wish Gohan lv 1 was AT +2 Stages instead of AT +2 life cards just for even more stage pressure.  Although, there have been situations where I got a clutch crit thanks to the direct life card damage.

I am guessing you camp on level1 with gohan/cell? My Adept Gohan is a doubl3 threat with MPPV and if I were to camp anywhere it would be level 3 with him. That level pure bliss. 

v3rse and sh0ryu_repp4 like this

24 minutes ago, Vile said:

I am guessing you camp on level1 with gohan/cell? My Adept Gohan is a doubl3 threat with MPPV and if I were to camp anywhere it would be level 3 with him. That level pure bliss. 

For Awakening Gohan my favorite level to camp at is 2.

4 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

For Awakening Gohan my favorite level to camp at is 2.

I actually find lv 2 to be one of the weaker levels in most of the decks I build. Since 2 doesn't generate any inherent advantage the card you tutor has to trump that for it to be worth it. That makes it most useful in decks like namekian gohan where you have hand knowledge. In anything aggressive you probably already have what you need in your hand, so it is often a blank effect or at least inferior to having another action.

20 minutes ago, v3rse said:

I actually find lv 2 to be one of the weaker levels in most of the decks I build. Since 2 doesn't generate any inherent advantage the card you tutor has to trump that for it to be worth it. That makes it most useful in decks like namekian gohan where you have hand knowledge. In anything aggressive you probably already have what you need in your hand, so it is often a blank effect or at least inferior to having another action.

Mostly true. About the most momentum I've gained from it is playing Checkup drill due to an auto level power punch hit and grabbing a block to pitch to it, or using Charged Kick to trade an in play drill to use it. Otherwise I hardly find it worthwhile. 

v3rse likes this

8 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Are we talking about cards that work well together or an actual "combo" mechanic

Synergistic plays. I was really tired posting this. Yeah, my example of Red Shoulder Grab into a card that stays to be used multiple times is a good example of this. Or something that has an effect set off if it deals Critical Damage.

Do you mean the entire red style that has 3 whole themes (Remove, Gain Stages, Crits) about combos?

Or Blue's insane hand discard combos or ally combos?

I'm confused, the game already has combos, just no one gives a shit about it when you need to draw specific cards.