sh0ryu_repp4

Dragon Ball FighterZ

20 posts in this topic

Looks great, but I need more details. I'm pretty bad at fighting games, but I love Injustice, especially with how the sequel added gear and stats, etc. Hoping this has some similar depth to it.

I was egregiously disappointed in Extreme Butoden for 3DS, just a fail across the board.  I really have no faith in DBZ 2d titles, as Budokai/Xenoverse has created such a standard of what a DBZ fighting game should be.  However this one may change my mind.  i'll be honest, it very much looks like a DBZ reskin of MvC with 3d elements added it.....and that's a VERY good thing.

v3rse, sh0ryu_repp4, cytorak and 1 other like this

10 hours ago, Card Slinger J said:

Really would've loved to have seen this game get a Nintendo Switch release.

There's no way the Switch could handle this

8 hours ago, Majin Goo said:

Should leave a better taste in my mouth than Tekken 7.

What didn't you like about Tekken?

19 minutes ago, Vile said:

I think you underestimate the power of the switch. 

I think I estimate it about correctly lol

I just hope it ends up more akin to Budokai 2/3 and less like... well the rest of the DBZ fighting games. A little tired of every character having exactly the same combos. Xenoverse was a step in the right direction, but I still miss old budokai having unique attack combinations to use specials instead of just rehashing the same button press for every single special attack in the game.

59 minutes ago, Amanax said:

I just hope it ends up more akin to Budokai 2/3 and less like... well the rest of the DBZ fighting games. A little tired of every character having exactly the same combos. Xenoverse was a step in the right direction, but I still miss old budokai having unique attack combinations to use specials instead of just rehashing the same button press for every single special attack in the game.

It is going to be Guilty Gear.

and that is a good thing.

So as I said from the beginning it appears that the game is a simplified version of Guilty Gear with an MvC2 style assist system and combo structure. Many of the characters do follow a similar "combo path" and can be played the "same way" but each character's particular nuances come to light after extended time playing. Much like MvC2, every character technically has all the same combos but the differences between them are what make them unique.

Max goes over the button layout, general combo structure, and other features available in the build. It looks like you can Burst and Roman Cancel like Guilty Gear and the "scramble" attack where one or both characters do the DBZ rush punches look to be like an All Out Attack from Persona 4 Arena. Namely, two buttons together do an overhead attack that allows for a follow up (pursuing the opponent in the air). A slow attack but very strong.

Hearing all this just makes me SUPER excited for the game and I can't wait to get into the beta.

Oh and fight stick support is definitely built into the game based on the button layout.

Well, this news makes me sad... 

Thanks for the information Sh0ryu. ^^ Sadly, doesn't sound like it's something I will personally be investing in if that's the case.

8 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

There's no way the Switch could handle this

What didn't you like about Tekken?

As someone with no concern for the Switch's success, a decade of IT experience, and an understanding of how the components work from an engineering perspective, I will say you are underestimating the Switch. Coded efficiently for the hardware, capped at 1080 docked and 720 un-docked, the game should run fine on the Switch. 

Now onto Tekken. I will try to address this as objectively as I can. I've played and owned every console iteration of Tekken that officially released stateside. I'll start with what I love.

As a fighting game, Tekken 7 has extremely tight controls, is fluid, and as an engine is a nice improvement to Tekken. I absolutely love the game from a competitive stand point and that's why it upsets me.

Everything else was half-assed and to argue otherwise is to wear tinted glasses. Characters look like they have barbie doll skin and the story was presented horribly. There are moments in the story that are cheesier than Zack moments in DoA, which wouldn't be so bad if most of it wasn't like that. That combined with a lack of game modes that other games have spoiled me with just doesn't do it for me. I'm certain I'll get the $90 or so I paid worth of entertainment, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have done significantly better especially with their poster child. 

So as someone who loves fighting games for competitive and casual enjoyment this game is only half complete for me. For anyone that just wants it for competitive play it's a definitive experience. 

4 hours ago, Majin Goo said:

As someone with no concern for the Switch's success, a decade of IT experience, and an understanding of how the components work from an engineering perspective, I will say you are underestimating the Switch. Coded efficiently for the hardware, capped at 1080 docked and 720 un-docked, the game should run fine on the Switch. 

Now onto Tekken. I will try to address this as objectively as I can. I've played and owned every console iteration of Tekken that officially released stateside. I'll start with what I love.

As a fighting game, Tekken 7 has extremely tight controls, is fluid, and as an engine is a nice improvement to Tekken. I absolutely love the game from a competitive stand point and that's why it upsets me.

Everything else was half-assed and to argue otherwise is to wear tinted glasses. Characters look like they have barbie doll skin and the story was presented horribly. There are moments in the story that are cheesier than Zack moments in DoA, which wouldn't be so bad if most of it wasn't like that. That combined with a lack of game modes that other games have spoiled me with just doesn't do it for me. I'm certain I'll get the $90 or so I paid worth of entertainment, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have done significantly better especially with their poster child. 

So as someone who loves fighting games for competitive and casual enjoyment this game is only half complete for me. For anyone that just wants it for competitive play it's a definitive experience. 

sounds like what I thought of MVC3 and battlefront, which were half a game

7 minutes ago, soviet prince said:

sounds like what I thought of MVC3 and battlefront, which were half a game

I played the beta for Battlefront and knew better than to buy. I'm hoping Battlefront 2 does better but I'm waiting until at least a month after release to buy if I am. I pre-ordered Tekken 7 expecting a complete enjoyable Tekken experience and I won't do that again. Don't get me wrong, what you can make of the story is actually good, the presentation and how it is delivered is what makes it cringe-worthy. The graphics tend to separate you from the immersion and not in a Street Fighter way where you like the art direction or you don't, but in a "we couldn't care less to really fine tune the look" way.

I loved MvC2 but didn't like 3. I'll wait until Infinite has been out for a bit before I buy.  

This talk pf the best fighting games makes me want to gonplay my personal favorite. 

Tataunoko Vs Capcom 

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

On 14/06/2017 at 8:59 AM, Stryyder said:

I was egregiously disappointed in Extreme Butoden for 3DS, just a fail across the board.  I really have no faith in DBZ 2d titles, as Budokai/Xenoverse has created such a standard of what a DBZ fighting game should be.  However this one may change my mind.  i'll be honest, it very much looks like a DBZ reskin of MvC with 3d elements added it.....and that's a VERY good thing.

Botuden was never good. Ever played the SNES titles? They're horrible. PSOne? Horrible. It's a series of some 11 games, all garbage.

13 minutes ago, Artificial Human said:

Botuden was never good. Ever played the SNES titles? They're horrible. PSOne? Horrible. It's a series of some 11 games, all garbage.

I enjoyed Final Bout a bit. It's not aged well but back than it was a pretty cool game.

2 hours ago, Majin Goo said:

I enjoyed Final Bout a bit. It's not aged well but back than it was a pretty cool game.

I feel the same towards Ultimate Battle 22.