sh0ryu_repp4

Dragon Ball FighterZ

What is happening with Dragon Ball FighterZ is normal for the fighting game scene. Fighting games are a niche market and DLC (even DLC announced months prior to launch) is generally accepted in the FGC to help support the genre. I think what gets most people is the short roster, however, what they don't understand is this isn't Tenkaichi or Xenoverse. Those games contribute their high roster to copy-paste development. AkySys is known for having small to medium rosters where each character is nearly entirely unique. They see the DLC characters and immediately believe they've been shorted on content when in reality having 15-30 completely unique characters isn't any less than having 100+ characters and only 15-30 unique styles between them. It's mostly a difference in whether or not content is "inflated". Dragon Ball FighterZ will be a competitive fighter for competitive players who have been waiting for a DB one. It will have some fun times for causal players but they're not necessarily the target audience. That's why serious fighting game stories tend to be shallow but feature high octane mechanics that require precision and timing. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be upset when they learn button mashing and needless beam spamming won't win matches in this game. Some of them are about to learn what frame timing really is and it's going to be rough. 

Most of the complaining I see is from people that were expecting Xenoverse 2D. And I can understand their disappointment, DB games have been rehashes of the same basic engine for a while and their fans have grown accustom to it. 

It's a bit late to weigh in, but I wanted to get as much information as I could about the product before I really cast my opinion into the mix.

On a personal level, FighterZ seems really disappointing so far. And not because of the limited roster, though that adds to it very slightly, or because of the Season Passes early announcement, but because of the actual gameplay. It's been stated quite a few times in here that the game plays like MvC with a Dragon Ball skin, and while most of the people saying so have cited it as a good thing, it just killed any interest I had in it when I actually got to play the demo. Add on the fact that the basic gameplay with each character doesn't really change (I know they have niches, unique ranges, certain times where certain moves are preferred, but in terms of combo execution), and I just don't feel like this has enough to make me buy the full game.

I agree with @Majin Goo that this is going to be a serious fighting game, but even so far as serious fighting games go, this feels really bland, to me. Which is really sad, because it should be rife with personality. This isn't the 2D Dragon Ball fighter for me.

That said, I'll probably get my own level of enjoyment from the game just watching the finals of high-tier tournaments. So many pretty explosions.

As someone whose main game is Marvel and has been playing Versus games competitively for years, DBZF plays NOTHING like Marvel. As I keep saying, it is more akin to Guilty Gear than anything else. Also every character definitely feels different. Especially since the new additions to the roster.

TETO but I honestly don't agree with that at all on a fundamental level.

That's fair, and I'm not really trying to change anyone's feels here. If you're hyped, be hyped and I really hope you enjoy. But I really just can't get hyped, or interested, for the above reasons.
Even if we move away from the MvC comparison and more towards Guilty Gear, it still just feels... Meh? idk, I had fun with GGXrd, and I just found myself really heavily bored by the FighterZ demo all the same.

Yeah, the Closed Beta. Admittedly, we only had a limited number of characters, and it's definitely not signatory of the final product, but it's been about the only chance I've had to interact with the game beyond demos and hype.
This said, I will actually submit that A18 was fun af to play. And Krillin was neat, as was Trunks' sword moves. But even with those few dissimilarities, it really doesn't hold up to the range I found in even the early Guilty Gear games (Ky is bae, ftr), and I just didn't really feel the game.