barrinmw

Demo decks available for printing

24 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Can some explain this HPKO/TKO nonsense to me? Cause I still don't get it...

I'll give it my best shot.

The only stats characters have on their cards are Strength, Intelligence, and Special, and these are ranks not values. Batman's Strength rank is 2, Intelligence rank is 7, and Special rank is 8.

The HP KO compares the damage attached to the character with the highest rank. So the Battle Card(s) rank (of any stat, I believe) has to be equal to or greater than the highest rank of a character. In Batman's case, his 8 Special rank. So if more than 1 Battle Card is attached, you just add up the numbers in their stat ranks and compare to the highest rank on the Character card. It seems like you'd sum up the character's stat ranks, but you don't (which makes it needlessly more complicated IMO).

The example they use in the demo sheet is Poison Ivy. She only has 2 stats, rank 3 Intelligence and rank 5 Special. The Battle Card attached to her is a rank 7 Intelligence. So she's HP KO (7 > 5).

The TKO is a character has to have a number of different stat types (Strength, Intelligence, Special) attached to the character equal to or greater than the number of stat types on the Character card. Poison Ivy only has Intelligence and Special. If you attach Battle Cards to her that contain at least two different stat types, then she's TKO. For Batman, you'd have to attach Battle Cards with all three stat types to his card.

4 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Ooooh ok. I get it now.

So a character that only has one stat can be killed by anything then?

That's what it looks like. But I bet those are super cheap cards, or few and far between.

The Solomon Grundy card only has 1 stat type (Strength), but its constant effect says it can only be KO'd by 8 points of damage (HP KO), so you can't TKO him.

Wait wait wait wait.....they stole the old OVERPOWER system?  Are you kidding me?

19 minutes ago, Stryyder said:

Seriously:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/603658/overpower?size=large

"A character is KOd if all the hits on it add up to 20 or if he has been hit by one of each of the 3 power types."

MetaX is a bit more convoluted but the basis is spot on.

Yes, like most card game developers, they couldn't come up with their own completely unique engine and borrowed from another. 

I still dont understand how the battle cards work.  On the Demo2 sheet on the blog there are two cards that confuse me:

- Special Card that requires 4sp to use, grants +0MP

- Special Card that requires 1sp to use, grants +3MP

The second card adds MP while also costing significantly less.  What is the point?

Another thing....are cards going to have names or will battle cards just have the stat at the top, mp swing, and a picture?

49 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I still dont understand how the battle cards work.  On the Demo2 sheet on the blog there are two cards that confuse me:

- Special Card that requires 4sp to use, grants +0MP

- Special Card that requires 1sp to use, grants +3MP

The second card adds MP while also costing significantly less.  What is the point?

Another thing....are cards going to have names or will battle cards just have the stat at the top, mp swing, and a picture?

im guessing the -4sp/+0MP is more of a straight damage dealer and the -1sp/+3MP deals less damage in exchange for more MP?

and as for the other part I hope so. These cards are ugly enough as it is, to have (possibly) half your deck not even NAMED is extra week.

Basically if they don't have a card called "I'm Batman" this whole thing is an objective failure lol

So I'm glad they gave us an option to print out demo decks and I do want to give this game a fair shot, but man it does suck I no longer have a printer to print out these cards lol. I do need to invest in one very soon though. So has anyone tried these decks out? 

17 minutes ago, numanumaking13 said:

So I'm glad they gave us an option to print out demo decks and I do want to give this game a fair shot, but man it does suck I no longer have a printer to print out these cards lol. I do need to invest in one very soon though. So has anyone tried these decks out? 

There isn't really much to "try out." There's not much point in printing it out, since you can just read the turn description.

You literally can't do much with what they're providing. As is their MO, this was a pretty jank, half-assed way to get ppl to try out the game. At least provide enough to have more than 10 cards per player. So you can attempt some variety of experiences after following their play-by-play.

Ok, let me see if I can summarize the demo rules using more familiar terms, because they seem to be wanting to confuse everyone before the rulebook comes out:

Important point - "MP" or "Meta Points" are the currency in this game, similar to mana in games like MTG.  The clear distinction is that MP does NOT empty between phases or turns, it remains until used.  Your max MP is 10 and it can't go below 0.  If you are paying attention and were playing TCGs in the early 2000s, you will realize this is EXACTLY like the Spirit energy mechanic in Yu Yu Hakusho, aside from the fact that that game gave you a free 2SE per turn.

Card Types:  Characters - Fighters played to attack other players; Events - instant use cards played for specific effects; Battle cards - cards used to attack or defend, based on the attack type (Strength, Intelligence, Special) and an attack rank printed on the card.

Phase 1 - "Prep" (aka untap step) - turn any sideways cards face up (in this game "Tap" or "Exhaust" is replaced by the term "push" and "untap" or "ready" is replaced by the term "Refresh"), then draw a card. First player of the game skips this step.

Phase 2 - "Planning" (aka main phase) - Play ONE character card (max 3 in play).  Play any # of event cards, limited by their cost and your MP.

Phase 3 - "Battle" - The active player may attack with one or more of their characters, by using battle cards from their hand.  The battle card used MUST match one of that character's stat types and be equal to or less than their rank in that stat. (i.e., Solomon Grundy - Cyrus Gold's only stat/rank is "Strength 6", so he may ONLY use strength battle cards rank 6 or lower).

To attack - Tap any attacking characters, play battle cards to those characters (gaining or paying any MP needed and resolving immediate effects on the battle cards).  Their opponent may then block one or more attackers.

To block - Choose a prepped (untapped) character and set it in front of the attacking character, then play a legal battle card to defend.

Outcome - If the player did NOT block, the attacking player gains 1 VP for every attack that was unblocked.(take the top card of your opponent's deck and place it face down in YOUR VP pile.)  If the player blocked one or more attacks, each player takes the battle card they used for their character and attaches it to the other player's character as "damage".  A character can be KO'd in one of 2 ways - If the amount of damage (total ranks on attached battle cards) is equal to or higher than that character's highest stat(For Solomon Grundy, this total would be 6.) OR if a character has a # of DIFFERENT battle card types (Strength, Intelligence, Special) equal to that character's # of different stats (so 1 hit for Grundy, since he only has Strength stat).  KO'd characters and any attached cards are then sent to their owner's discard pile.

22 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

There isn't really much to "try out." There's not much point in printing it out, since you can just read the turn description.

You literally can't do much with what they're providing. As is their MO, this was a pretty jank, half-assed way to get ppl to try out the game. At least provide enough to have more than 10 cards per player. So you can attempt some variety of experiences after following their play-by-play.

Only 10 cards? I guess I should of read the blog post but I still expected more, 

20 minutes ago, Stryyder said:

Ok, let me see if I can summarize the demo rules using more familiar terms, because they seem to be wanting to confuse everyone before the rulebook comes out:

Important point - "MP" or "Meta Points" are the currency in this game, similar to mana in games like MTG.  The clear distinction is that MP does NOT empty between phases or turns, it remains until used.  Your max MP is 10 and it can't go below 0.  If you are paying attention and were playing TCGs in the early 2000s, you will realize this is EXACTLY like the Spirit energy mechanic in Yu Yu Hakusho, aside from the fact that that game gave you a free 2SE per turn.

Card Types:  Characters - Fighters played to attack other players; Events - instant use cards played for specific effects; Battle cards - cards used to attack or defend, based on the attack type (Strength, Intelligence, Special) and an attack rank printed on the card.

Phase 1 - "Prep" (aka untap step) - turn any sideways cards face up (in this game "Tap" or "Exhaust" is replaced by the term "push" and "untap" or "ready" is replaced by the term "Refresh"), then draw a card. First player of the game skips this step.

Phase 2 - "Planning" (aka main phase) - Play ONE character card (max 3 in play).  Play any # of event cards, limited by their cost and your MP.

Phase 3 - "Battle" - The active player may attack with one or more of their characters, by using battle cards from their hand.  The battle card used MUST match one of that character's stat types and be equal to or less than their rank in that stat. (i.e., Solomon Grundy - Cyrus Gold's only stat/rank is "Strength 6", so he may ONLY use strength battle cards rank 6 or lower).

To attack - Tap any attacking characters, play battle cards to those characters (gaining or paying any MP needed and resolving immediate effects on the battle cards).  Their opponent may then block one or more attackers.

To block - Choose a prepped (untapped) character and set it in front of the attacking character, then play a legal battle card to defend.

Outcome - If the player did NOT block, the attacking player gains 1 VP for every attack that was unblocked.(take the top card of your opponent's deck and place it face down in YOUR VP pile.)  If the player blocked one or more attacks, each player takes the battle card they used for their character and attaches it to the other player's character as "damage".  A character can be KO'd in one of 2 ways - If the amount of damage (total ranks on attached battle cards) is equal to or higher than that character's highest stat(For Solomon Grundy, this total would be 6.) OR if a character has a # of DIFFERENT battle card types (Strength, Intelligence, Special) equal to that character's # of different stats (so 1 hit for Grundy, since he only has Strength stat).  KO'd characters and any attached cards are then sent to their owner's discard pile.

Great write up and helps explain some things in a more clearer way!

Great explanation Stryyder, thanks for that.

The "demo deck" reminds me of the battle simulator cards that came with starter decks in the Frieza saga of Score-Z.

Kinda shitty giving Martian Manhunter only 5int and 5str.  "Special" stat is a total copout stat that simplifies the extraordinary diversity of powers between characters.  Also, how the hell does Batman have 6 in special stat?  The guy literally has no "super" powers.  Martian Manhunter has 0 special stat and that guy can fly.

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

6 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Great explanation Stryyder, thanks for that.

The "demo deck" reminds me of the battle simulator cards that came with starter decks in the Frieza saga of Score-Z.

Kinda shitty giving Martian Manhunter only 5int and 5str.  "Special" stat is a total copout stat that simplifies the extraordinary diversity of powers between characters.  Also, how the hell does Batman have 6 in special stat?  The guy literally has no "super" powers.  Martian Manhunter has 0 special stat and that guy can fly.

Yes, exactly, this is one of my problems. The diversity of powers and genetic abilities makes it hard to simplify a single stat type for those varieties. But, "Special" seems fine, if there's logic to it, but apparently not, since Batman has it, but J'onn does not. Superman also, does not have a Special stat type. So what the hell does Special cover?

Thanks for that explanation @Stryyder. I wish more games had what the WoW TCG did where in the rulebook there was a section specifically for people that are used to card games. Short simple explanations that veteran CCG players would be able to instantly pick up on. Also I feel like that using the top card of your opponent's deck and putting it on YOUR side of the field as VP IN ADDITION to "attaching" your damage card to the opponent's character is a bad combo. That is too many cards from both players mixed up together imo. As far as what "special" means I have no idea what they're going for. This whole game is a mess tbh. No company besides Panini can get away with this level of ineptitude and still be selling product. It's insane. I have to imagine if DC knew who they were getting involved with.

I guess they didn't want to copy Overpower entirely.  it started out with 3 stats; Energy, Fighting and Strength and later added Intelligence.

For those still wondering, Overpower is a game from 1993, one of the first non-MTG games out there, that started out using Marvel superheroes and later expanded into DC and even Image comics.  It had a VERY simple premise with some expansive options.  But like this game, the most basic attacks were just non-named cards with an attack type and rank.  Other cards helped you modify the ranks for larger attacks (as higher attack cards could be used as defense to nullify attacks) or were character specific specials that did a whole range of things.  Was a very fun game and ran for a dozen or so sets total.  You can find boxes pretty cheap online still and I still have a couple of starter decks.

sh0ryu_repp4 and The Bear like this

I wish I knew about that when I was younger I would have been all over that. Youngblood Edgelord Image Deck ftw! lol

Oh, I forgot, Overpower played using character cards.  You had to have a 4 person team (3 front line, 1 rear to start, rear moved up to front when one of your guys got KOd).  Starting out characters only had the 3 stats, but later they started giving them innate abilities.  Also, your 4 character dictated what special cards you could add to your deck.

21 hours ago, Majin Goo said:

Yes, like most card game developers, they couldn't come up with their own completely unique engine and borrowed from another. 

Sometimes it's not stealing per say, but attempting to improve upon the base ;)

yeah, after my initial reaction to the realization, I'm interested in the mechanics of the game.  It's taking ideas from 2 more unique and, all around GREAT games.  And really, at least it isn't another f*&$ing MTG or "JapTCG" clone.