Majin Goo

Demo Decks

48 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, soviet prince said:

what is a shield trigger may I ask? is it like a trap card in yugioh?

Similar. In Duel Masters, some cards had Shield Trigger as an effect. If your opponent damaged a shield and the card had shield trigger you could choose to play it immediately free of charge. 

25 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

The 2nd promotion is open and I just applied so hopefully I'm one of the first 1K haha

Same.  Was hoping the second round of decks would be a different deck (like that yellow Frieza in the promo vid) but since the starter deck info was released it indeed appears the only starter deck will be Green Goku.

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Same.  Was hoping the second round of decks would be a different deck (like that yellow Frieza in the promo vid) but since the starter deck info was released it indeed appears the only starter deck will be Green Goku.

The provide 4 half-decks, so all 4 will be Green Goku??

10 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

The provide 4 half-decks, so all 4 will be Green Goku??

From what everyone who received decks has said, yes, all 4 decks are green Goku.

5 minutes ago, The Bear said:

From what everyone who received decks has said, yes, all 4 decks are green Goku.

oh haha well, hey, it's free promo stuff!

yes, all decks are green goku with the same cards.  There are actually retail "demo kits" that stores can order from their distributors that actually have more decks in them along with the Goku Blue promo that's been floating around.  Hoping they have those promos at AX.

The Bear and sh0ryu_repp4 like this

On the up side, I only need to buy 2 starters to get a playset of the starter exclusive cards.  On the downside, I'd essentially be paying $12 for 6 cards in the second deck.

On the down side, there is only one starter deck that has been announced so far.  On the up side, starter decks are not random and having more of them would mean more starter deck exclusives to collect.

sh0ryu_repp4 likes this

Definitely seems very booster centric.  As most (non-Panini) companies already know starters aren't the place to shill.  Either give them some decent cards (MTG) or just make them middle of the road precon (PKMN) and get people on board with boosters. 

51 minutes ago, Stryyder said:

Definitely seems very booster centric.  As most (non-Panini) companies already know starters aren't the place to shill.  Either give them some decent cards (MTG) or just make them middle of the road precon (PKMN) and get people on board with boosters. 

As long as pull rates are fair this is the best plan. Stores don't end up with dead starters they can't sell but players always know what they're getting with them. 

I applied for the 2nd deck giveaway so hopefully I'll be my hands on that. Also sadly I didn't get to try out the demo decks yesterday because according to my friend she missed when the FedEx truck came and they decided to bring her package to their headquarters which is a hour away besides for keeping it at our hometown's FedEx store. So she couldn't even drive to go pick it up which was her plan. So hopefully next week when we hang out I'll be able to try out the game. 

5 hours ago, Stryyder said:

It really amazed me how people on Retro defended Score/Panini's Starters as 'TCGS ARE RANDOMISED!!!!' when it's not normal for that product type to be randomised within the industry. The closest equivalent product is the Magic Tournament Packs from way back when, but those were very different in implementation and purpose. Score/Panini was just taking people for a ride :/

20 minutes ago, Artificial Human said:

It really amazed me how people on Retro defended Score/Panini's Starters as 'TCGS ARE RANDOMISED!!!!' when it's not normal for that product type to be randomised within the industry. The closest equivalent product is the Magic Tournament Packs from way back when, but those were very different in implementation and purpose. Score/Panini was just taking people for a ride :/

I don't have a problem with the core of a Starter being randomize. Every card in the Set 1 starter decks were exclusives not found in boosters requiring a minimum of 6 starters to have play sets of those cards. I honestly think MP's should have been sold as complete sets in special packs that were inexpensive. 

With Panini's set 1 starters, I think the idea of making players collect a playset of the exclusive cards was a pain, especially since a bunch of them were THAT good. What a turn off for new players. If I was being fair, the starters were "robbery" and the sales further proved the card game could work and facilitated further sets.

The bigger issue was that the starters weren't legal for play.

7 minutes ago, Mysterious Youth said:

With Panini's set 1 starters, I think the idea of making players collect a playset of the exclusive cards was a pain, especially since a bunch of them were THAT good. What a turn off for new players. If I was being fair, the starters were "robbery" and the sales further proved the card game could work and facilitated further sets.

The bigger issue was that the starters weren't legal for play.

Nah. Not being tournament legal was an oversight that could be overlooked. Most players were okay with new players playing rainbow decks. I can look the other way for that. However, forcing players to buy 6 decks at minimum, usually more if you were trying for all the MP's, was absolute asinine. If they wanted a random starter model it should have been cards that can be obtained in the booster boxes.

From the beginning the perfect model would have been:

Starter Decks: A and B starter featuring a Villain and a Hero. All versions of the decks the same. The Villain and Hero featured MP's could be exclusive to starter.

Booster Packs: Keep the same except they should have been including AT and Active Player cards in every Booster Box. 

For sure people and stores would let newbies play with their starters and for the purposes of teaching people how to play, it works minus Allies and Dragon Balls. It just rubs me the wrong way that I can't enter say worlds with a starter. You'd never do that of course, but you'd think starter decks would be tournament legal no matter how horrible they are.

I've gone over the Starters in a video before, but I'll do a condensed version here.

The starters overall have too much variance. 1/6 or about a 16.6% chance of getting who you want is too low. Saying that, Premier had more than just MPs/Masteries to purchase Starters, the entirety of the contents were new, which made them an overall less abusive product. It also however makes the product a proper Tournament Pack, not the Starter Deck it was advertised as.

The later two starter decks were shit because Panini didn't put in design work beyond the MPs/Masteries. You were literally just buying MPs/Masteries, the deck was just C, U and a couple of Rares which plummeted in price. Only 1 staple rare to boot, I personally think they should have had Time instead of Stare/Con. The Decks were frankly too much for a 16.6% chance of getting who you wanted and nothing else of play value. If they had exclusives in them, say 5 cards per style at playset, so a quarter of the deck was new, a lot could have been forgiven, but no. They were too similar to Score's later outings, without the randomised Rares. Jank the Deck. By making them 'out of the box' playable, they actually made them a worse investment.

About how long, after you applied, and in what way were you notified that you would receive a demo deck.

I applied on the 16th, for the new demo deck promotion, and was wondering.

On 6/16/2017 at 1:27 AM, soviet prince said:

what is a shield trigger may I ask? is it like a trap card in yugioh?

In Duel Masters you had five shields that you took from your deck that acted as your life just like in DBS. Shield Triggers are effects that activate on a card that is taken as damage. So in DBS these would be effects that activate when a card is added to your hand as damage. This would make critical effects even more powerful in DBS though since you would be avoiding a shield trigger activation. Unless the shield trigger activated when it was taken as a critical, which would be a very interesting back and forth. I like it.

(Whoops totally missed that there was a second page to this post lol)

22 hours ago, wallpaper said:

Got my Demo Decks my name is "Anthony" did anybody get their correct name?

As far as I'm aware most people, if not all, did not get their first name correct in the mail. Even some of their last names were wrong too. However Bandai has noticed and even tweeted that they were aware of what happened and apologized. They also said they are looking to see what caused the issue.

I qent to a demo event today and was given thr green goku deck and a SSGB Goku promo. Games neat, I'll take it to my locals and see what they think. Being as I'm apending more time in stl with a significant other i amy invest a bit in it. 

While playing I had trouble with avoiding hits. I didn't like that I was constantly lacking energy and my opponet had 10+ cards to my 3 so in the final round he combo'd to a plus 50k and I couldn't do anything. Perhaps i just need more practice because he's been playing alot. (He went to AX and had the full starters) 

If I do get more, I'm thinking Yellow/Orange becausr what I read it sounded like a counter control color, plus it has Ginyu and I want to be able to play a game as the ginyu force and not be shunned. (Because I never was able to play Ginyu in pan z)