Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
manoftomorrow010

MetaX Rulebook

5 posts in this topic

Damn, beat me to it.

Time to do some reading and prepare for the inevitable tsunami of questions.

Hmmm my thoughts are thus:

In general, I'm not a fan of games where you are damaged simply by default. I'm sure there will be shield cards that negate attacks, or prevent damage, but as the basic system, defending does not inherently stop damage. I guess this could really be affected by how prevalent Battle Cards are with effects that stop or prevent attacks, but the simultaneous damaging part turns me off a bit.

Right now, the game doesn't show anything unique really about certain characters, archetypes, or deck themes. So far, the cards revealed are bland and not very flavorful. Superman is a one-off card draw, snooze. I'm sure they'll make the more rare cards have better, or more flavorful effects. They're going to have to reveal card, archetype, or deck themes that really showcase some complexity in the gameplay, because right now, it's less complex than DB Super.

Future card previews are really going to make or break this one for me.

This is kind of how I felt about the DB Super game. The basic mechanics, at face value, seemed rather bland and boring. But, the card effects are appealing and showing more complexity.

After reading about both, I am more interested in this than DBS.

As to simuldamage, I see your point, but I really think they were going with a fast paced game here.  If we end up with "higher defend negates attack" then we end up with momentum shift stalemates, a la MTG, where players are going several turns just building up a nuclear deterrent until someone gets a trump card and rushes in.  It adds a layer of complexity, deciding whether to block and sacrifice that one-trait character or save them to do something next turn.

How the meta shapes up in the first set, as well as what set 2 is and how they handle separate properties will really dictate how this game is going to settle.  I'm doubtful, but REALLY hope they take a page from Weiss Schwarz and make decks single IP only.  I think it would be really interesting, as well as ease design space.  Plus you are always open to expand an IP on down the line.

Another thing I'm very interested in here is that they built it with draft/sealed in mind.  I'm a sucker for limited formats.

One thing I find very interesting is the "team attack" aspect.  It's really the only point in combat where the rank of your attack/characters actually comes into play, aside from just being card play requirements.  I can see myself playing batfam, as they apparently play that aspect up a lot.