Stryyder

Nintendo SNES Classic

18 posts in this topic

Well, here we go again.  With the recent announcement that NES classic was going off the market after a mere 6-7 months, rumors began swirling about the possibility of SNES classic and the nightmares it would induce.

Well, get your Nyquil ready, because it's here.  Nintendo announce the SNES classic this morning.  http://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic

Releasing 9/29/17 and boasting a price tag of $79.99, SNESCE boasts 21 preloaded titles, including Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid(they really loved this "super" moniker), F-Zero and LoZ A Link to the Past. (See below for full game list)  In addition, the SNESCE will mark the debut of Star Fox 2, which was cancelled before being release on the SNES, due to the impending release of the N64.

In a statement from Nintendo, promising that they are learning from their mistakes, the provided controllers will feature 5ft cables (up from the 3ft ones provided with the NESCE) and they have stated they will ship "Significantly more" units, than they did with NESCE.  They won't give numbers though.

So, if you're interested, keep an eye out.  So far the only place I've seen doing preorders (aside from $300 pre-scalps on eBay) is Amazon UK. (It says they don't ship to US, but according to their twitter feed they will and my order went through without any problems)  Otherwise, I would suggest subscribing to a Nintendo notification twitter feed like @Ninwire and set notifications on so you'll get a ping whenever they go up elsewhere.

SNES Classic Edition Game List

Super Mario World

Super Mario Kart

The Legend of Zelda – A Link to the Past

F-Zero

Super Metroid

Star Fox 2 (previously unreleased)

Super Street Fighter II Turbo

Super Punch-Out!!

Castlevania IV

Donkey Kong Country

Mega Man X

Kirby Super Star

Final Fantasy III (US port of FFVI)

Kirby’s Dream Course

Star Fox

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island

Super Mario RPG – Legend of the Seven Stars

Contra III – The Alien Wars

Secret of Mana

Earth Bound

Super Ghouls n Ghosts

Man.  I love the idea of these classic systems since I am a total sucker for the old-school games.  Heck I was playing Sonic 3 and Knuckles not 2 hours ago.

But the issue is I have most of these titles in my possession already via virtual console, remake on a new platform, etc.  There's really no reason to get something that takes up more space when I can already play most of these games. : / 

The Bear likes this

True enough.  Only ones I still have are Mario World, LttP and Super Metroid, and 2 of those are on Handheld.  I'm stoked to get some of the old standards like Mario RPG, DK Country, StarFox and Contra and trying out the classics I just never took time to try out like Earthbound and FF3(6).

I was able to preorder the NES one and honestly? Once the hype died down and it settled in, it hit me a lot of the games were dated, superannuated, bad or I simply didn't like them. About half. Most of the other half I had elsewhere. I think there was only one surprise 'Oh hey, this is fun.' game, which was Double Dragon II. Didn't think the NES could do a decent Beat Em Up.

Honestly the SNES lineup's only saving grace is Yoshi's Island. Who hasn't played SMW, Super Metroid, Super Castlevania, ect by now? They've been easily available for some 12 years. Many games like both Star Fox titles, F-Zero and Mario Kart have since been superannuated by sequels. Star Fox 2 is kinda a big thing, but it's SNES Star Fox. Unreleased or not, Star Fox 64 made it obsolete in every way, shape and form. It's not 21 quality titles like the NES wasn't 30. It's a better line up than the NES, sure, but age, tastes, quality(Ghosts series is shit.), all hard knocks.

It's going to sell like gang busters. Nintendo+Nostalgia=SOLD OUT. We all know this. But I wonder if enough people have really been critical and hard on the lineup on offer for either unit.

Either way, wake me up when the 64 one comes out. That shit is hard to emulate, but at this rate it might only have 12 games, which is funny because I only have 12 N64 games. lol.

Thearbiter20x6 likes this

Just now, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Wow this one is actually worth it in my book. Too bad I will never see one ever lol

Not with that attitude!

3 minutes ago, Thearbiter20x6 said:

Not with that attitude!

Not with Nintendo's production lol

I have, to this day, never actually seen an NES classic in the wild. EVER. At ANY store.

I wouldn't have chosen Megaman X. X2 was way better. 

Mario Rpg, Yoshi's Island, ALTTP, snd Super metroidmake my dick ROCK HARD. Must buy. 

The Bear likes this

It is amazing they're only putting 21 games on it considering the vast library of SNES games.  But then again the consoles would likely sell out regardless of the quantity or quality of titles they put on it, so they dont necessarily get anything out of making the game selection better or more expansive.

Some things missing:

Battle Toads / Double Dragon

TMNT: Turtles in Time

CHRONO TRIGGER!!!!!

Killer Instinct

DK Country 2 and 3

Megeman X2 and X3

17 minutes ago, Stryyder said:

Probably the only one I'd LOVE to see them put on it myself is Maximum Carnage.

I need to make a seperate account so I can like this twice

Funny thing. I own Maximum Carnage and I still do not understand the hype for it. 

It's the red cartridge.  So I guess in that respect if it were on SNESCE it would be at least 30% less cool. :(

I think this is a cool idea for people that get a sense of pride when owning official product. I've already custom built a small linux box that plays all of my favorites through that era just fine on my TV and I get a wireless controller. For those of you that want this I give you my best wishes. May you have a Master Ball because if you fail to catch on the first time it's gone. 

Artificial Human likes this

All aboard the hype train! 

My only wish, is that it somehow had Looney Tunes Basket Ball.