Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stryyder

MetaX Previews #1! - Fear and Disgrace

23 posts in this topic

MetaX info is dropping daily and TCGTopTier is in the game.  Stay tuned Thursdays for exclusive spoilers and check out our other discussion, including a continuously updating card list.

Today we'll be discussing a new villain card as well as some utility

014Z_14296_772F0_Character_CCG.JPG

MP is the lifeblood of MetaX.  Scarecrow can quickly drain that, making it difficult to play good battle cards, events, even team attack.  Combine that with 3/5 INT/SPL and supplementing your own MP by 2 and this card is a versatile addition to any control deck.

004Z_14297_772F0_Event_CCG.JPG

On the other side of the coin (vague Two-Face reference intended) if you CAN manage to scrape up enough MP against Scarecrow, Disgrace can be a decent weapon to combat him. The MP cost is hefty, but removal/card draw in a pinch is worth a lot.

006Z_14299_772F0_BattCarSin_CCG.JPG

This card will be a BIG hit.  Defensive powers seem like they will be well worth playing, to give yourself a boost going into your turn.  You won't win the war with this card, but using it to 1-shot an attacking single stat character, or even to finish off a multistat character for an extra 2MP (on top of the MP+2 just for playing it) will be a great boost.  The fact that it can be used by nearly ANY character with a STR stat is just icing.

034Z_14299_772F0_BattCarSin_CCG.JPG

If you've had a chance to peruse the rulebook you may have noticed this card.  And what a card it is.  Yeah, you have to dump a single MP to play it, but that's little sacrifice considering it replaces itself in your hand, plus lets you filter with 3 new cards and ANY character with an INT stat can use it.  HUGE playability here.

So remember, check back next Thursday for more spoilers!  For now, discuss these cards in the comments, or check out the growing checklist and discussion thread.

~Stryyder

View full content

Edited by Stryyder
Removing erroneous Solomon Grundy reference.

Little slip up, you can't 1-shot Solomon Grundy. :) 

Scarecrow is also a "max rank 5" character, meaning he fights nicely into some particular archetypes that care about that. He can be the backbone of a aggro/stun deck that tries to deny the opponent the resources to defend against its frequent attacks.

Disgraced - well, we haven't yet seen all the things you're going to want this against. :)

40 minutes ago, Dan said:

Little slip up, you can't 1-shot Solomon Grundy. :) 

Isn't Solomon Grundy Cyrus Gold a solo STR character?  Wouldn't a single attack TKO him?

11 minutes ago, barrinmw said:

He can only be KOed, not TKOd, and he needs 8 damage to KO him.

Yep, exactly. TKO and HPKO are both forms of KO, and Grundy's effect makes him ONLY able to be KO'd by 8 damage.

Also, if he could be TKOd, his effect wouldn't do anything, since all Battle Cards have at least 1 stat. :)

These are really great cards that flesh out the features of the card styles, traits, etc. The Intelligence 1 Battle Card is fantastic to replace itself and set up your next 2 draws (or opponent VP lol). The Strength 2 card seems really strong. Scarecrow looks extremely solid.

It is still bugging me that the battle cards do not have unique names. Maybe @Dan can explain why they chose not to do this?

25 minutes ago, Dan said:

Yep, exactly. TKO and HPKO are both forms of KO, and Grundy's effect makes him ONLY able to be KO'd by 8 damage.

Also, if he could be TKOd, his effect wouldn't do anything, since all Battle Cards have at least 1 stat. :)

Oh, well yeah, if you want me to READ every cards, lol.  Yeah, totally forgot about that, I should have looked back at the demo cards.

1 hour ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

These are really great cards that flesh out the features of the card styles, traits, etc. The Intelligence 1 Battle Card is fantastic to replace itself and set up your next 2 draws (or opponent VP lol). The Strength 2 card seems really strong. Scarecrow looks extremely solid.

It is still bugging me that the battle cards do not have unique names. Maybe @Dan can explain why they chose not to do this?

Yeah, I don't think I'm at liberty to divulge the whole story, but I can assure you that that aspect (and its reception) is well known by everyone in design/development. They were initially set up that way due to the deck building rule that restricts them by Stat and Rank - so you can run no more than 3x Intelligence 7 in your deck, and which effect (or lack of effect) is irrelevant.

As it turns out, there's a lot of red tape, etc in licensed game design, and so this is how it ended up shipping. The good news is that it's not exactly the end of the world, but I am totally with you guys on it being kinda weird and jarring.

manoftomorrow010 likes this

28 minutes ago, Dan said:

Yeah, I don't think I'm at liberty to divulge the whole story, but I can assure you that that aspect (and its reception) is well known by everyone in design/development. They were initially set up that way due to the deck building rule that restricts them by Stat and Rank - so you can run no more than 3x Intelligence 7 in your deck, and which effect (or lack of effect) is irrelevant.

As it turns out, there's a lot of red tape, etc in licensed game design, and so this is how it ended up shipping. The good news is that it's not exactly the end of the world, but I am totally with you guys on it being kinda weird and jarring.

thanks Dan.

It does help with the BC limit rule without creating added confusion with unique names. I think that rule has been a little clunky in wording from the guides, etc. I've seen, but you hit the nail on the head there.

Dan likes this

So just thinking, a 1 strength/1 intelligence/ 1 special battle card would probably be the best battle card in the game right?

5 minutes ago, barrinmw said:

So just thinking, a 1 strength/1 intelligence/ 1 special battle card would probably be the best battle card in the game right?

It would be the easiest to play but the effects would likely be weak.

A 7/7/7 Battle Card would be the best in the game, and probably cost 5+ MP to play.

Best I mean, with the strongest effect probably.

1 hour ago, barrinmw said:

It would be universally useable by any character, but very limited for use in an HP KO.  Great card if you are going for TKO, or need a cheap attack for something like Scarecrow or a Nightwing team attack.

5 minutes ago, Stryyder said:

It would be universally useable by any character, but very limited for use in an HP KO.  Great card if you are going for TKO, or need a cheap attack for something like Scarecrow or a Nightwing team attack.

This just made me wonder, what do you think ppl will go for more often, TKO or HP KO? It obviously would depend on their rank characters, and the benefits of the specific battle card effects, but it seems like you could attempt to construct a deck around solely going for TKO of characters with the multi-stat battle cards.

1 hour ago, barrinmw said:

It's the easiest one to play, but weak (Multi-stat cards only count as 1 stat towards a TKO, but they count as ANY of the stats represented on the card). The one revealed on the blog on Tuesday has a strong effect, though, and I consider it to be one of the better cards in the set!

43 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

A 7/7/7 Battle Card would be the best in the game, and probably cost 5+ MP to play.

Best I mean, with the strongest effect probably.

We revealed a 7 Omni on the MX Reddit! And it even gains you MP instead of costing you MP! Of course, it's effect...isn't exactly a boon...

Rank 7 BCs are very interesting design space. They are the strongest attacks BUT they have the smallest set of characters that can use them. You can't really think of designing them in a vacuum because of this - their strength is very much linked with that context of who is able to use them. It's a more fluid design that thought more about characters and archetypes rather than a rigid "This should cost X because that other card costs Y".

Yeah, no, that would make the WAY too good.  Any tri stat BC would be a 1 hit KO and many 2 stat would be as well.  Would make single stat BCs near useless.

15 minutes ago, barrinmw said:

Oh, gotchya, I thought they counted for all 3 for purposes of TKO.

Yeah, it's an understandable point of confusion. It's in the rulebook, I believe a line like "Count as all 3 types, but only one at a time". So when you play one, it can be using, for example, your Special stat to play it, but then after it's attached - should you attach another Special BC to that same character - you can now count it as Strength or Intelligence instead.

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

Yeah, it's an understandable point of confusion. It's in the rulebook, I believe a line like "Count as all 3 types, but only one at a time". So when you play one, it can be using, for example, your Special stat to play it, but then after it's attached - should you attach another Special BC to that same character - you can now count it as Strength or Intelligence instead.

So the type of stat it represents can fluidly change throughout the game as needed?

Seems the best way to work it.  Imagine trying to keep track of what stat each of your multis was use as :lol:

10 minutes ago, Stryyder said:

Seems the best way to work it.  Imagine trying to keep track of what stat each of your multis was use as :lol:

yeah exactly lol but initially, i thought it stayed the same stat, then thought "wait how would you keep track of that?!" lol

Yep, you guys have got it down! So they are very good, but not busted. :)