Denithan

Would Official Online Tournaments be Viable?

Pretty much just the topic, honestly.
FanZ is a proxy-based, online format for all intents and purposes, and I've been thinking about how to encourage people to take part in it. And I think a big element discouraging  the Dragon Ball TCG in general has been accessibility, both with official PanZ products, and with FanZ thereafter.

Honestly, I don't really know if there'd be any downsides to an "officially sanctioned" tournament on OCTGN? Perhaps this is something they'd rather avoid since they'd still like people to get some life out of their real cards, but we should also probably be aware that the presence of a low scale tournament, or even a Kai tournament online, would not discourage tournaments in real life and would enable countries in other countries to take part without paying thousands to play a card game.

What do you lot think? Any prominent things you think hinders competitive online play of FanZ?

Online tournaments have been done before and they always fail super hard.  It's a combination of being at home (and thus having to do home things during a tournament) and shitty people that ruin it the whole thing.  

I don't think OCTGN would work as people can cheat. Maybe over Skype and have the camera on the board? Other than that, I think it could work if someone made an online program similar to online versions of Magic or Hearthstone, that control the board and don't allow you to cheat. That would be REALLY neat, I'd pay money for that. If only I took another class of programming, I might actually be able to do that.

32 minutes ago, AlexM said:

I don't think OCTGN would work as people can cheat. Maybe over Skype and have the camera on the board? Other than that, I think it could work if someone made an online program similar to online versions of Magic or Hearthstone, that control the board and don't allow you to cheat. That would be REALLY neat, I'd pay money for that. If only I took another class of programming, I might actually be able to do that.

Before this forum got detonated and reformed, there was a member who was working on a project to make the Score game online with triggers like MTGO. I don't know if that project went anywhere or not.

18 hours ago, Vile said:

Tabletop Simulator has PanZ games inside it. I've seen 4 peoples shots are making them. 

I was going to suggest TTS. I know a lot of people really like it.

6 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

I was going to suggest TTS. I know a lot of people really like it.

My only complaint is there isn't a discard option from the deck. Half the time whe I'm flipping cards off the top in the Megman TCG on there or Sentinals of the Multiverse, I grab the whole deck. 

They ran online tournaments for the OCG back in the day on OCTGN, we'd just need a "judge" figure on spectate...at least for the bigger matches closer to finals.