SirCod

Awakening Cell is broken.

Everyone on these forums pretty much agrees that Unleashed and Drawku are broken. Cell's set 7 stack is just as broken. With 2 anger from his level one, and 2 anger from Restored it doesn't take much to reach level 2. Even if your opponent manages to control your anger you can just level up with Jump Kick or Cell's named card. Once you are on level 2 all you need to do is defend and mill your opponent by 4 cards every combat. Versus MPPV decks Restored Cell just needs to camp level one for an easy answer to anger decks. Awakening Cell is basically Blue Piccolo except you get to use a better style, and you aren't dependent on drawing Blue Dominance. Namekian has six good omni-blocks and regenerates quickly, so it doesn't take much to load a deck up with a bunch of blocks, and then sit back and laugh at your opponent. 

Edit: I forgot to mention that if you hit level 3 you can mill your opponent for six life for free, and then do an AT +6 physical attack. Also Cell's Style mills you for 4 life, and shuffles back in. So it's basically a recurring Black Foreshadowing. 

I disagree. I think awakening cell is tier 2. Any mppv deck worth it's salt can power through the 2 anger drop from the lv 1. Aggro decks can power through cells defenses. And cells anger/level can be lowered. His anger really isn't that fast compared to many other decks and leaping kick/draining attack opens him up to lowering by unleashed. It's a solid deck, but hardly broken.

3 hours ago, v3rse said:

I disagree. I think awakening cell is tier 2. Any mppv deck worth it's salt can power through the 2 anger drop from the lv 1. Aggro decks can power through cells defenses. And cells anger/level can be lowered. His anger really isn't that fast compared to many other decks and leaping kick/draining attack opens him up to lowering by unleashed. It's a solid deck, but hardly broken.

The level 2 anger drop isn't the only thing Cell has to combat MPPV. There's also Ball 2, Dragon Radar, Dragon Clan, Maximum Will, Villainous Energy Beam, and Overtime. With 9 energy blocks, 6 physical blocks, 5 level up cards, Ball 6, 9 Allies, and 7 omni-blocks aggro decks can't do much of anything. Unleashed is just a way to answer something broken with something else broken. 

But I think I'll put one together on Octgn and see how it does. I haven't played in months, but the one thing that kept Awakening Cell from being top tier in set 7 was Blue Drawku with Unleashed. It just got destroyed by that deck. But then again everything but Orange Roshi and Red Vegeta did. 

Also I think Red Cooler might be able to take it on. Any milling is quickly healed by Cooler, and Tug of War is bound to give Cell serious problems. 

I have no problem with Goku or Unleashed. I've also been running this Cell since the beginning and it's a Tier 1 deck and not broken. Of course, I didn't build the lame run all the blocks Cell decks. Those are incredibly boring to play against I don't understand how people play with them.

Your problem seems to be more with the Namekian card pool, which is incredibly strong and annoying. 

I never had a problem against Goku unless they had the god draw and jumped up a few levels in one combat. I beat damn near all Blue Gokus when PanZ was alive. I think I only lost to the Blue Goku who got Top 4 at world's once in the times we played together. Most of our games were close.

I find the weakness of Cell is being stuck at 1 sucks and getting rid of the allies while being at 1. Between Unleashed, anger and Draining Attack it's hard to be stuck on 1, but it can happen.

From a design standpoint, I think a basically free mill attached to a big attack with his power levels and being able to get banished allies (especially Turles) on level 3 is a bit much. His mill on 2 is irritating as well. You basically have to be playing your best decks or be running a lot of ally hate and anti-level/anger cards to stand a chance. It's not something you expect to do well against using your fun deck unless it's teched properly.

15 hours ago, Artificial Human said:

I came in expecting this to be about Mill 4 a turn. :( I'm disappoint.

But it is about that. Mill 4 a turn, and mill 6 a turn in Namekian is broken. Not to mention that Cell's Style is usually Mill 4 and shuffles back in. 

I loved using Unleashed to grab Namekian Swat (?) Whihc makes Cell's mills banished. 

While I did really well with Cell, I found Adept Gohan overall better - as strange as that sounds. 

Awakening Cell for me isn't broken but just super freaking lame. It lame because it closes the doors to so many rogue decks out there. Tag Team 13 is a prime victim of this example.

Another issue is just Mill mechanics don't have a lot of counters, and they didn't need it because they weren't as efficient as damage. I think efficient mill decks can be fine if its like a silly Red Channel Surfing Drill + Red Speedy Drill deck because that deck is easy to counter and its efficient mill is conditional (discard a drill from hand and then rejuv a drill, etc.)

Awakening Cell? No, he just has an efficient mill engine built completely neatly into his personality. All your deck needs? A cell jr and a saiyan ally. 

This is why I hate cooler as well because he just has an efficient rejuv engine built completely into his personality. All your deck needs? Nothing, the personality does it by himself -_- 

Just built a Red Ascension 20 deck that completely wrecks Cell Restored. Lookout Drill shuts the mill engine down hard. The deck is based around red drills, and energy attacks. 

1 minute ago, Jaith1 said:

Awakening Cell for me isn't broken but just super freaking lame. It lame because it closes the doors to so many rogue decks out there. Tag Team 13 is a prime victim of this example.

Another issue is just Mill mechanics don't have a lot of counters, and they didn't need it because they weren't as efficient as damage. I think efficient mill decks can be fine if its like a silly Red Channel Surfing Drill + Red Speedy Drill deck because that deck is easy to counter and its efficient mill is conditional (discard a drill from hand and then rejuv a drill, etc.)

Awakening Cell? No, he just has an efficient mill engine built completely neatly into his personality. All your deck needs? A cell jr and a saiyan ally. 

This is why I hate cooler as well because he just has an efficient rejuv engine built completely into his personality. All your deck needs? Nothing, the personality does it by himself -_- 

It's called auto-pilot decks. Good game design requires a player to think like using Red Enraged Mastery. Bad game design has a deck doing everything automatically like Red Ascension. Orange 20, Blue Piccolo, both versions of Cell, and Black Krillin were all auto-pilot decks. 

21 hours ago, SirCod said:

It's called auto-pilot decks. Good game design requires a player to think like using Red Enraged Mastery. Bad game design has a deck doing everything automatically like Red Ascension. Orange 20, Blue Piccolo, both versions of Cell, and Black Krillin were all auto-pilot decks. 

> Thinking

> Red Enraged

> Roshi

kek

22 minutes ago, Artificial Human said:

I will agree with Changling Bard with an asterisk.

There are no autopilot decks, but there are autopilot opponents. Look ma, no effort needed, woooo!

But that's nearly true of all games.

Soooooo SuperBroley?

I actually think Enraged decks are auto pilot decks. Red Shoulder Grab + a lot of cards - opponent have time or a lot of blocks = win!

Are mill Cell decks any good? I mill with his levels but it's just incidental. I feel like building a deck with just milling is too slow and boring. Sadly, I'm sure it'd be better than Wheelo.

8 hours ago, Hellsfire said:

I actually think Enraged decks are auto pilot decks. Red Shoulder Grab + a lot of cards - opponent have time or a lot of blocks = win!

Are mill Cell decks any good? I mill with his levels but it's just incidental. I feel like building a deck with just milling is too slow and boring. Sadly, I'm sure it'd be better than Wheelo.

Enraged is definitely autopilot when it draws well (it can almost feel like playing solitaire with yourself), but that can probably be said about most decks, if not all of them.  

I am salty about Cell mill because it totally wrecks some of my fun rogue decks. Protective Raditz, Tag Team 13, Radiant Piccolo (without unleashed), Ruthless Drill Mill (fun deck that has to work so hard to achieve what cell gets for nothing). Like I said before, I think cell mill closes a lot of doors for other decks out there but it's not broken when compared to other top decks. 

Broly having access to Tantrum and Legendary Strike closes a lot of doors to rogue decks as well.

I think that is just because those decks aren't good. Better decks and options are gonna shut off other decks/options just by the nature of being better. Whatever "good" happens to be is going to naturally push out the things that are "bad" or just "not as good".