Jump to content
Artificial Human

How much do you care about Fan Z now?

How much do you care about Fan Z?  

1 member has voted

  1. 1. How much do you care about Fan Z?

    • SET 10 WHEN?!
      0
    • Meh.
    • Don't care anymore.
      0


Recommended Posts

We're two sets in now. Retro and here are shadows of their former selves. How much do the people that stuck around for whatever reason really care about Fan Z?

Me personally, I haven't touched it yet. Not because I don't want too, just because of circumstances. I probably don't care much right now because I'm more interested in closure of the game, ending with Kid Boo and Hirudigarn, rather than filler and the TV Specials. Likewise, I haven't been a big fan of many of their design choices, especially Bardock who I found incredibly disappointing from a design angle. The stack itself is enjoyable, I just don't like it as Bardock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am interested from a spectator perspective, but not to actually play, because, at least where I am, nobody cares about playing. Which is fair enough, but means I won't be touching Pan/Fan Z cards again probably ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty for FanZ's potential still tbh. I think it's important to remember that we're within the first year, so they're still finding their footing and figuring out what direction to head in.

With the poll questions, I'm pumped as hell for Set 10 because I REALLY like Gohan's older teen years (even before Ultimate). I'm really pumped to see what he does honestly, and I'll probably run him regardless of how bad/good he might prove to be. I'm going to guess he's going to be solid as anything though, judging from the personality stacks they've done so far all being generally quite solid (excluding King Kai. Maybe. I've not seen ANYONE run King Kai).

I'll agree that I think Bardock was a hugely disappointing stack. I'm down for screening your own deck/looking through the opponent's hand, but I'm really distasteful towards actual interference since it just doesn't gel at all with Bardock's lore. Make his level 1 power just looking through the opponent's deck in full so that you can plan ahead, that alone is powerful enough without constantly destroying your opponent's "Time is a Warrior's Tool."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zero interest in FanZ.  Even though Panini did a shit job supporting this game they were still the entity that put together organized play.  Since the game died the only large tournaments have been the Kai events, which I really have no interest in given that they are fan-run events with no support.  I also dont think the current design philosophy (power creep everything so people play the new stuff) is a very good one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather them leave the game alone, and let the metagame settle into a balanced state. It might get there one day if they ban Drawku and Unleashed. FanZ just continues to add more broken nonsense to a game with too much broken nonsense. It's unplayable right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is the "I never cared" option as that seems to be everyone's answer.  Hell, we as a site could do a much better job organizing events and general card design than the entire FanZ project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ChangelingBard said:

Where is the "I never cared" option as that seems to be everyone's answer.  Hell, we as a site could do a much better job organizing events and general card design than the entire FanZ project.

That's a heavy assumption.  Even if we could, it would just end up as a schism between us and FanZ, further dividing a community where some are leaning toward FanZ, some toward new games like DBS and MX, and some just walking away.

Honestly, I wanted to keep going.  I was really interested in the new Frieza lvl 1, plus King Cold ally, to round out my old Frieza deck, but the small scene that WAS in my area has already moved on.  Some are playing that new zombie TCG, others waiting for DBS.  I'm starting to focus my attention back to standard board games, and a bit on MetaX.  I'm even flying out to GenCon for the first time and I have NO interest in trying out the FanZ event, aside from maybe seeing some people I haven't seen in a while, or meeting some people that I only know online.

I still have my playsets of the PanZ stuff, but I dumped all my old spares and I honestly just don't care much anymore to build any new decks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Stryyder said:

That's a heavy assumption.  Even if we could, it would just end up as a schism between us and FanZ, further dividing a community where some are leaning toward FanZ, some toward new games like DBS and MX, and some just walking away.

Honestly, I wanted to keep going.  I was really interested in the new Frieza lvl 1, plus King Cold ally, to round out my old Frieza deck, but the small scene that WAS in my area has already moved on.  Some are playing that new zombie TCG, others waiting for DBS.  I'm starting to focus my attention back to standard board games, and a bit on MetaX.  I'm even flying out to GenCon for the first time and I have NO interest in trying out the FanZ event, aside from maybe seeing some people I haven't seen in a while, or meeting some people that I only know online.

I still have my playsets of the PanZ stuff, but I dumped all my old spares and I honestly just don't care much anymore to build any new decks.

I look forward to meeting you at Gencon @Stryyder!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only people I know who play FanZ are Edisons players and they're 2ish hours away. The only events they have are 20 dollar entry fees and atop travep costs, I can't justify that steep of an entry just o play a dead game.  

 

Plus I don't have a printer so no way to obtain the cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Denver group is mostly still intact. I live in the north suburbs, and the group up here totally went their separate ways when PanZ died, but the group that lives in the south burbs still plays regularly, so I get to play with them, and everybody is still playing the FanZ stuff. I think they'd made some good and interesting cards, although I'm quite nervous about how much of an impact Kami is going to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the Denver scene still plays weekly, but it's casual now (no entry fees). The prize support has been the last round of panini promos. It's a shame that the north group MoT is talking about stopped, but we still have a lot of fun with it. Fanz has on the whole been pretty balanced in my experience. And it maintains the same feel of panz. 

I know some of you expressed concerns of power creep/brokenness, but there really hasn't been any more of that than you'd see in a standard set. Most of the stuff put out in sets 8/9 looks more powerful on paper than it actually turns out to be in practice. Plus it's a lot easier to update anything that gets out of hand.

I'm excited for set 10. I feel like some people have been hesitant to try the fanz stuff because it's a low point in the series and people don't care about filler characters. Set 10 should put us back into the main plot line and get people excited to play their favorite characters. That and it's just harder to stay in the loop these days with retro being the only real source of regular information. 

As long as people are playing the game I'll keep playing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm stoked for Set 10/11 because, duh, Majin Vegeta when?

Very curious about if/when they create their own masteries. That could be the breaking point (literally) for some things, but as @v3rse said, brokenness is easy to fix in FanZ by simply changing the card wording and letting people print off the MRP.

So far I've printed all the card images on regular paper at work, so the cost is nil, unless you need some actual cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say it's a sbame that my girlfriend just took a job in the St Louis area, as she lived about an hour ftom denver and i could have come over to play with you guys. Maybe when we visit her family I will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/07/2017 at 11:13 PM, Denithan said:

I think it's important to remember that we're within the first year, so they're still finding their footing and figuring out what direction to head in.

We gave them that leeway the entire Panini game. They're not new developers, it's not a new game, it's not their first experience with the engine.

@Edison Carasio was always right. This game's engine is a marvel to behold, satisfying in a way no other game is, especially so in the sea of Magic Clones, but it never had the developers it needed. Everyone from Score/Panini, except probably @Chipmunk, has really questionable design choices from most every aspect of the game and seemingly don't comprehend what people want from it.

GT Focused as a whole was the closest the game has ever gotten to what I'd call 'a product of good design choices.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Vile said:

I would say it's a sbame that my girlfriend just took a job in the St Louis area, as she lived about an hour ftom denver and i could have come over to play with you guys. Maybe when we visit her family I will.

Do it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2017 at 7:55 PM, Artificial Human said:

We gave them that leeway the entire Panini game. They're not new developers, it's not a new game, it's not their first experience with the engine.

@Edison Carasio was always right. This game's engine is a marvel to behold, satisfying in a way no other game is, especially so in the sea of Magic Clones, but it never had the developers it needed. Everyone from Score/Panini, except probably @Chipmunk, has really questionable design choices from most every aspect of the game and seemingly don't comprehend what people want from it.

GT Focused as a whole was the closest the game has ever gotten to what I'd call 'a product of good design choices.'

GT Focused was my favorite iteration of the game as well. Mixing in Z and GT together created a garbage environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2017 at 8:31 AM, The Bear said:

Zero interest in FanZ.  Even though Panini did a shit job supporting this game they were still the entity that put together organized play.  Since the game died the only large tournaments have been the Kai events, which I really have no interest in given that they are fan-run events with no support.  I also dont think the current design philosophy (power creep everything so people play the new stuff) is a very good one.

I'm actually dreading the possibility of an MP stack for Zen-Oh the Omni-King once FanZ catches up to Dragon Ball Super since he'll be busted as all get go. Hopefully by then the game will have already incorporated Sensei Decks just like in the Score version that function just like Piccolo Sensei which was the only reason why you'd want to run a Sensei Deck unless you needed to level faster with Vegeta Sensei.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the game has actually had the most variety it has ever had. Besides the constant Saiyan and Namekian Gohan's running around, every event has a different top cut of characters and styles. I'm pretty sure even Hercule topped one of the Kai events recently. It's not perfect but it's not a dumpster fire either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am still super into Fan Z, but I don't care about new cards that much.  I just want to play.  I'll take new cards as they come but OP is what drives me.

Sadly, nobody plays consistently where I live, but that won't stop me.  I simply have to wait for yearly Kai events and accept that those will be the only Fan Z action I get to see.  Like Antispor says, while not perfect or ideal, the game is in a great place.  Awakening took a great direction...it is such a waste that the game was discontinued.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×