Stryyder

Spiderman: Homecoming (SPOILER TALK WARNING)

So, who has seen it?  Went to a 7:30 show last night and I'll say I HUGELY enjoyed it.

I'll try a non-spoiler opinion for now.  Probably the MOST noticeable thing in this movie was the departure from the status quo of supporting characters.  No Harry Osborne, no Mary Jane, no Gwen Stacy.  Instead we're given Ned (based on Ned Leeds) and Liz (based on Liz Allen).  There is just so much to unpack from this movie like the inclusion of TWO Shockers, the introduction of Mac Gargan (LOVE Michael Mando), a VERY missable allusion to CA:TFA (Look on the Principle's file cabinet), it was a complete nerdfest.  Add to this how well they retconned the story through the MCU storyline, starting all the way back in Avengers 1.

Another big thing to note is the push for diversity.  Liz being black, Flash and Gargan being Hispanic(technically being portrayed by an American-Guatamalan and Canadian-Mexican, respectively), the presence of interracial romances, just a VERY progressive film.

I can really see this film ruffling a LOT of feathers with the die-hard spidey crowd, those who don't want things to change and just want to see the same old characters up on the screen.  Personally, I enjoyed this take on it.  I'm egregiously tired of the Harry/Norman/Goblin story and I could easily use a break from Gwen and Mary Jane.  The MCU has proven once again that updating the story and keeping it fresh doesn't have to mean destroying the soul of the franchise (a la Michael Bay Transformers/TMNT).

It is now my second-favorite MCU film after Winter Soldier. I laughed my ass off. Holland (and Zendaya) were so great, even with the limited lines she had, Zendaya just killed every single one. Perfect tone for Spider-Man, and totally refreshing to see a believable high school Peter Parker after Toby and Andrew couldn't pass for a HS kid to save their life.

Agreed on Zendaya, she was hilarious and I'm looking forward to more of her in future installments.

How about that tone drop, tho?  I have to get someone else's opinion on this.  The first 2 acts of the film give us really good comedy/action Spidey fare, but just the tone shift on the big reveal was HUGE.  It really wanted to focus the audience back in on the fact that this IS a life or death situation and Peter has a lot of growing up to do.  Amazing work.

It also led me back to 2 tropes I'm seeing with modern super hero movies and their villains; 1 - down to earth origins.  there's been a lot of supernatural storylines with Vulture and his suit.  This iteration seems to be all mechanical, partly thanks to the Tinkerer.  Very reminiscent of TDKR's Venom-less Bane.  But as with Bane, the lack of that one key element doesn't hold the character down at all, in a very big part thanks to solid actors at the helm. 2 - Avoiding unnecessary use of the villain's "codename". The "shocker" thing was a nice little jab in here, but not once did they have to call Keaton's Toomes "Vulture".  This same device is used in Iron Man 1 and 2 (Iron Monger and Whiplash).  These villains aren't worried about the publicity or needing a cool name to go by.  They are driven by their own agenda and are focused on that.  The fact that Marshall-Green's Jackson Brice took the moniker "Shocker" to be a badass and was subsequently vaporized due to his overwhelming arrogance kind of puts the exclamation point on the fact that having your own codename is not as important as having some grey matter between your ears.  The very presence of Toomes in that suit was enough to intimidate anyone on the first meeting.

I totally agree on just about everything lol Keaton is a really good actor, and his villain was a nice change from previous MCU villains.

Also

when Peter was trapped in the rubble, them playing him as a frightened child in that situation was incredible. It cemented the reality that he is a kid, and his transition from that really helpless fear to really overcoming it and escaping was extremely powerful by making that choice to have him be that scared and powerless. It was my favorite moment of the film and a real callback to a great old Stan Lee issue.

A potential spoiler but I've seen Stryder say it a few times now. 

Mary Jane was in it. I forget her name, but the girl that obviously had a thing for peter who liked to draw. At the end, her saying "They call me MJ" just sealed that. 

On a side note, I love Shocker (in the comics) and was overly pleased with him. Scorpian is another spider villian I really like so I'm looking forward to that. The only other ones I would love to see woupd be Kraven, Mysterio, and Boomerang. I'd say speed demon, but i don't think he'd translate well on screen.