Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jarrett

Dragon Ball Super Card Game - The Awakening Review

7 posts in this topic

TCG Top Tier got a hold of an early release of 'The Awakening' starter deck for the upcoming Dragon Ball Super Card Game, by Bandai.

This review is purely going to be cosmetic and focus more on product quality. We will have a gameplay review once we get a hold of another starter deck and a booster box of product to play around with. However, if you're interested in checking out the rules for the game, check them out here:

http://www.dbs-cardgame.com/rule/

Introduction

In early February this year, Bandai announced that they would be releasing a new Dragon Ball card game based on the popular 'Dragon Ball Super' anime. Since then, the rumor mills have been churning out a few pieces here and there, but only after the last few months has Bandai really been pushing their game to generate a buzz, with frequent posts on social media (check out their Twitter and Facebook feeds), and passing out several waves of free half-decks to interested players. In short, we believe Bandai is trying to make this game a success and we're excited to see what they do in the future for support.

The Product

20170705_223834.jpg

The Dragon Ball Super Card Game - The Awakening Starter Deck is a 51 card deck, playmat, and rule sheet designed to get a player started in the newly released game. Five of the included cards are exclusive of this set, while the remaining cards are from the Galactic Battle expansion. Once you've learned the rules of the game, it is meant to be combined with the booster packs to build new and exciting decks . Both the starter deck and booster set are scheduled to arrive at your local hobby gaming store on July 28th.  Click on the images below to get a closer look:

20170705_224334.jpg20170705_224301.jpg20170705_224114.jpg

If you're a fan of Dragon Ball art, this game will not disappoint. The card art in this game is fantastic! If you're a card game player or a avid Dragon Ball collector, you'll be excited.

As I have played several Dragon Ball card games in the past, I believe these cards are the best looking to date. Much better than just grabbing anime stills, which there have been a few that have done in the past. The CG art on the Leader cards look very clean and the anime art on the remaining cards were made for this card game and pop out. The cards really make me feel like I'm seeing the epic battle of Goku and Freiza playing out in front of me.

Also included in 51 cards are two foil cards - Vegeta Prince of Speed and SSGSS Son Goku, The Soul Striker. The foils look spectacular with their custom foiling pattern per card. I simply cannot wait to see more foils once the series one Galactic Battle is released.

20170705_224130.jpg20170705_224311.jpg

Regardless if you're a hardcore trading card game player or an avid Dragon Ball collector, I feel as a product Bandai really has a sleeper waiting in the mists. The cards look simply incredible. Bandai is giving it their all with future game support, with plans for local tournament play with promos, with possibly more in the future. Please be sure to check the game out on their official web site.

Check back at the beginning of August when we will be doing a gameplay review and a look at the full Galactic Battle expansion. Be sure to check out your favorite local hobby gaming store on July 28th for the game's release!

20170705_223834.jpg

View full content

I see it being fairly successful. There is solid hype, we've already gotten to test the engine with real cards, a good number of players have been play testing with proxies and it seems to get better with the booster set applied. Bandai has been very connected with communications with the players. They seem to understand there is a player base, we have dealt with DB card games in the past and we have expectations to meet. They also seem dedicated to helping us bring in new blood which is something that was lacking in the last DB game I played. Looking forward to attending events and will enjoy being the reason @Jarrett gets knocked out of a top cut.

1 hour ago, Majin Goo said:

I see it being fairly successful. There is solid hype, we've already gotten to test the engine with real cards, a good number of players have been play testing with proxies and it seems to get better with the booster set applied. Bandai has been very connected with communications with the players. They seem to understand there is a player base, we have dealt with DB card games in the past and we have expectations to meet. They also seem dedicated to helping us bring in new blood which is something that was lacking in the last DB game I played. Looking forward to attending events and will enjoy being the reason @Jarrett gets knocked out of a top cut.

Coincidentally enough, this is what I'm disliking about Super. Nothing to do with Bandai, I'm happy with them, but who it's attracting.

As soon as I saw Six Sages Gaming worming it's way into trying to be a big wig like it was in Force of Will, I wanted to vomit. They are product whores, like Magic's Professor, except worse. Matt Kozmor was given a ton of product from Ultimate Guard and shilled it out no end, worse than The Professor. Ultimate Guard makes dodgey deck boxes and gips you sleeves. Tried to bring this up and the whoring, because Free Product, enough to supply a whole team of players, was his sell out point.

Then they had to get V-Mundi in. You know where the V comes from? Vanguard. In the larger Vanguard community, the V-Mundi one was seen as a toxic, up itself, self righteous know it all group that was openly mocked for it's attitudes and how it acted with hostility for being questioned.

Then we have the FaceBook group, which is trying to out cesspool DBZ Retro. I would argue it's getting close, which is quite the accomplishment.

I'm already at a point of 'Why bother? The fanbase is people I already dislike.' Darn shame too, as the game itself looks quite enjoyable.

Just now, soviet prince said:

no panini did that

I'm pretty sure it ended due to Bandai not wanting to compete with its own card game in essence. Am I mistaken?

5 hours ago, Vance James Porter said:

I'm pretty sure it ended due to Bandai not wanting to compete with its own card game in essence. Am I mistaken?

Panini made the decision not to compete. It was a business decision. Read the official announcement. It clearly says that parent Panini did not want to compete due to saturation issues. Whether Panini renewed their license or not, this game was coming out and Panini did not feel it would be profitable enough to challenge it. Now, whether Bandai pushed to have the licensing price increased to an uncomfortable level or not for Panini is speculation but a common business practice.