Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Justin McBride

Staples

7 posts in this topic

Guess I'll try this game after all. After analyzing the set (and playing demo games on TTS), I feel like the following are staple cards in some capacity for every deck:

Ultimate Judgment Jaco
Son Goten, Family of Justice
Furthering Destruction Champa
The Negate Cards
The "if your leader is X and you have 4 or less life..."

Is this what you guys are seeing when you are playing games?

For Blue I'd say Objection is a sure staple. With Blue's focus on having X or more energy and Evolve, being able to play extra energy is crucial.

Senzu Bean could also be considered a staple for any partially Blue deck. Probably not an at 4 of, but re-activating energies and free power gain is a handy thing to have in a pinch.

Yeah, I was not really focusing on specific colors. I was talking about universally good in most decks. Ultimate Judgment Jaco, Son Goten, Family of Justice and Furthering Destruction Champa can be included in any deck, not actually play them from hand, but rather use them for their combo effect.

The Bear likes this

I'm trying to get a friend into the game when it comes out. He doesn't want to buy two decks but is wondering if the starter exclusives are worth buying two decks for playsets?

28 minutes ago, Mysterious Youth said:

I'm trying to get a friend into the game when it comes out. He doesn't want to buy two decks but is wondering if the starter exclusives are worth buying two decks for playsets?

Not necessarily. I'm buying two because I'm a collector and I love opening product. I will have a play set of every card so that I can build any deck anytime. However, some players know what they want to play and this game's secondary market could be pretty fair which makes it inexpensive for those players to buy singles. If he's unsure he could wait to see what the exclusives sell for as singles. 

Okay, so "not necessarily" meaning nothing that would push the exclusives to the point where you have to have them.

It's convenient to have a playset of everything if you can, but in this case it's convincing someone who's shaky to begin with and doesn't want to invest a lot if he doesn't have to.

Also, I don't know how good the secondary market would be on the game, let alone starter exclusives. I don't see a lot of people/stores opening extra decks to resell singles like Panini's set 1 starters. We'll see.