Jump to content
Littlebig

What masteries would you like to see?

Recommended Posts

The question is simple: what can they do to expand the game with new set of masteries that are supposed to come out with set 10? What would you like to see? 

Personally I want to see a blue mastery that can tutor setups to abuse blue training and a red drill mastery just to make red drills a thing. I see promise and potential in both archetypes and would love to see them expanded on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

Saiyan needs a mastery that isn't wet garbage so you at least have 2 choices.

You have a very valid point lol it's unfortunate because there was so much better support for something like rampaging that they could have made but instead we got, quoting you, "wet garbage." 

I still think the discard mechanic from the mastery was highly underdeveloped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Freestyle Mastery.
Preferably nothing too broken, but god dang it, the Freestyle Masteries were some of the most fun things to play in Score Z, I actually god damn need one. Just one. Hell, just bring back one of the old ones from Score word for word.

Besides that though, Black needs a new, solid mastery. Not to say that the Black style is weak, but more that it is VERY specific with which personalities can play well with it, and as a result of that, it is a very underrepresented style. Maybe something like a toned down Devious that lets you discard a card to get a draw instead of discarding a card from both player's hands (that way, you can proc all the Black style cards that need to be discarded and net no hand loss + hand screening). Add on some kind of damage modifiers, or (imo more appropriately) some kind of disruption, and we'd have a decent Mastery to get the style swinging again.

I'd also agree that Saiyans need another good mastery, but I'm kind of terrified of what they'd come out with to match Empowered/Rampaging. Power Creep has thus far been the way of FanZ, and I would hate to see more Orange Rets, and with just how ridiculously good both Empowered and Rampaging can be...
Honestly, no ideas how to do this without creating some seriously overpowered jank. I kind of think they just need to give more support for Dynamic and Rampaging rather than worry about a new Mastery for this one. If they were to do a new one, we'd need to hopefully see something that neither focuses hard on survival or hard MPPV. Maybe a new Saiyan Mastery that focuses around allies to make Saiyan Nappa + Saibamen a viable option (since we have all the pieces of an incredible Saiyan Ally deck, but none of the Masteries really back it up). Issue there, of course, is making sure it doesn't step on Blue's territory. Which I don't think can be done personally, unless you made the allies come out for one action and then banish themselves or something.

I feel like Blue, Orange and Namekian are actually REALLY well off right now in terms of masteries. Reds also doing pretty alright with Ascension and Ruthless, but maybe something to replace Enraged just to make sure that all the styles have 3 viable Masteries to play in FanZ. idk, it doesn't feel like we can do much more in terms of Masteries with the current mechanics of the game without getting a lot of crossover, but I might be entirely wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Denithan said:

A Freestyle Mastery.
Preferably nothing too broken, but god dang it, the Freestyle Masteries were some of the most fun things to play in Score Z, I actually god damn need one. Just one. Hell, just bring back one of the old ones from Score word for word.

Besides that though, Black needs a new, solid mastery. Not to say that the Black style is weak, but more that it is VERY specific with which personalities can play well with it, and as a result of that, it is a very underrepresented style. Maybe something like a toned down Devious that lets you discard a card to get a draw instead of discarding a card from both player's hands (that way, you can proc all the Black style cards that need to be discarded and net no hand loss + hand screening). Add on some kind of damage modifiers, or (imo more appropriately) some kind of disruption, and we'd have a decent Mastery to get the style swinging again.

I'd also agree that Saiyans need another good mastery, but I'm kind of terrified of what they'd come out with to match Empowered/Rampaging. Power Creep has thus far been the way of FanZ, and I would hate to see more Orange Rets, and with just how ridiculously good both Empowered and Rampaging can be...
Honestly, no ideas how to do this without creating some seriously overpowered jank. I kind of think they just need to give more support for Dynamic and Rampaging rather than worry about a new Mastery for this one. If they were to do a new one, we'd need to hopefully see something that neither focuses hard on survival or hard MPPV. Maybe a new Saiyan Mastery that focuses around allies to make Saiyan Nappa + Saibamen a viable option (since we have all the pieces of an incredible Saiyan Ally deck, but none of the Masteries really back it up). Issue there, of course, is making sure it doesn't step on Blue's territory. Which I don't think can be done personally, unless you made the allies come out for one action and then banish themselves or something.

I feel like Blue, Orange and Namekian are actually REALLY well off right now in terms of masteries. Reds also doing pretty alright with Ascension and Ruthless, but maybe something to replace Enraged just to make sure that all the styles have 3 viable Masteries to play in FanZ. idk, it doesn't feel like we can do much more in terms of Masteries with the current mechanics of the game without getting a lot of crossover, but I might be entirely wrong.

Definitely dead on about black. My friend and I have been talking about it for a while now and the card pool is great but there isn't a mastery to support it. 

We both built black bardock (I built perceptive, he built conflict). I though maybe perceptive would finally be able to shine. Hard NO. The anger gain from conflict being more reliable in anger gain and pitching dead cards and discard effects really helped swing the favor more than I thought possible.

problem is, even with conflict, there's really nothing it does that well. The 4 to crit clause is kind of mediocre  and the discard effects are also... well don't really put any kind of pressure. unfortunately I think conflict mastery is their version of a watered down devious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freestyle Mastery 

Whenever you perform a successful attack, banish a card in an opponents discard pile.

Shield: Block an energy or physical attack. Lower your opponent's anger 1 level.

 

Red Drill Mastery 

Your styled attacks that gain you anger do +1 stages and +1 life card of damage.

Whenever you gain a critical damage effect, you may now choose to return a Drill from your discard pile and place it into play instead.

 

Saiyan Event Mastery

Whenever your opponent's personalities loses stages due to one of your card effects, increase that amount by 1.

POWER: Reveal the top card of your life deck.  If it is a styled event, put it into your hand and your opponent's MP loses 1 stage..  Otherwise, increase your anger 1 level.

 

Black Beatdown Mastery

Your styled physical attacks do +1 stages of damage and can only be stopped by physical combat cards.

Your styled energy attacks do +1 life cards of damage and can only be stopped by energy combat cards.

POWER: Discard a styled card to raise your anger 1 level.

 

Blue Control Mastery 

Your opponents need 6 anger to level and can't use card effects to advance their level unless they have 3 anger.

POWER: Discard a styled card to destroy an opponents drill or ally.

 

Namekian Beatdown Mastery

Your styled attacks do +2 stages of damage.

Whenever you would rejeuvenate during combat, destroy the top card of your opponent's life deck and raise your anger 1 level instead.

 

Orange Ally Mastery

POWER: Destroy a styled drill you control to search your life deck for an ally and play it.  That ally can perform actions regardless of your MP's power stage.

POWER: Rejeuvenate an ally your control to search your discard pile or banished zone for a styled drill and play it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, barrinmw said:

Freestyle Mastery 

Whenever you perform a successful attack, banish a card in an opponents discard pile.

Shield: Block an energy or physical attack. Lower your opponent's anger 1 level.

 

Red Drill Mastery 

Your styled attacks that gain you anger do +1 stages and +1 life card of damage.

Whenever you gain a critical damage effect, you may now choose to return a Drill from your discard pile and place it into play instead.

 

Saiyan Event Mastery

Whenever your opponent's personalities loses stages due to one of your card effects, increase that amount by 1.

POWER: Reveal the top card of your life deck.  If it is a styled event, put it into your hand and your opponent's MP loses 1 stage..  Otherwise, increase your anger 1 level.

 

Black Beatdown Mastery

Your styled physical attacks do +1 stages of damage and can only be stopped by physical combat cards.

Your styled energy attacks do +1 life cards of damage and can only be stopped by energy combat cards.

POWER: Discard a styled card to raise your anger 1 level.

 

Blue Control Mastery 

Your opponents need 6 anger to level and can't use card effects to advance their level unless they have 3 anger.

POWER: Discard a styled card to destroy an opponents drill or ally.

 

Namekian Beatdown Mastery

Your styled attacks do +2 stages of damage.

Whenever you would rejeuvenate during combat, destroy the top card of your opponent's life deck and raise your anger 1 level instead.

 

Orange Ally Mastery

POWER: Destroy a styled drill you control to search your life deck for an ally and play it.  That ally can perform actions regardless of your MP's power stage.

POWER: Rejeuvenate an ally your control to search your discard pile or banished zone for a styled drill and play it.

Freestyle: this just seems like a stronger, less balanced protective mastery. Though to be honest, I don't know where one would start with a freestyle mastery for this game.

red: I can totally get behind this. I think something like this would make saving drill really good.

saiyan: I like the first effect. The second effect feels like perceptive to me. Not that it's not good, just seems like it would be inconsistent.

black: would add "raise your anger 1 level or use a critical damage effect." Maybe the damage mods are too good though to add a crit. Who knows, maybe I'm just bad at this lol

blue: hard counter to unleashed. Pretty much all I see lol given that they made ocular pat down, I don't think this is likely but something like this might get rid of majority of unleashed decks.

namekian: definitely like the idea of a nemekian physical Aggro. There are a lot of solid physicals that would get pretty beefy with a mastery like this.

orange: with that orange drill that came out in set 8, I think something like this wouldn't be too far off the money. Deforest would expect the kind of synergy you've included there but that deck space would be tight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orange has no Ally support and the small steps kinda stop it from happening to a meaningful degree. Besides, I think Namekian has enough Ally support to warrant an Ally Mastery.

Orange I'd like to see something like Trunks Saga Orange Style Mastery. I really like that one. Probably needs to be tweeked a bit because it's incredibly underwhelming by todays standards.

I'd like to see Black get taxation as a theme. Give it the effect of Gravity Chamber from the old game. Physical Attacks cost +2 Stages.

Blue I think is pretty good right now. The only place they really have to go is Copy unless they try to get creative. Not a chance of that happening.

Red I'm not sure. I like the idea of further effects from Critical Damage Barrinmw brought up.

Saiyan. Oh Saiyan. Maybe something like Saiyan Blitz Mastery since GT is all the rage these days?

Vegeta could do with a new named Attach card that makes all attacks to be considered as if they raised your Anger 1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new Black mastery could totally work if they just did what they should have done with Devious and restrict it to styled cards only.

Other than that I would like to see a Black mastery that works with the "punish your opponent for blocking" theme that we saw a little bit of with cards like tunneling ball. i would love to see that concept expand because I love the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" playstyle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love a free style mastery, but it would have to have a defensive effect, since free style decks would be heavily lacking in defense (Playing an MP like Yamcha that has a block, and you include Time and Enhanced reflexes you only have 6 total blocks in your deck)
 

Would love a Saiyan mastery that allows you to tutor attached cards (I want to see Clench decks be a thing and watch the world burn)

 

Honestly I would love to see the other styles get masteries that start you with akey card in play, akin to Tag and Retribution. Especially for weaker deck archetypes. Not sure how to do it for all styles, but it could be fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Amanax said:

I would love a free style mastery, but it would have to have a defensive effect, since free style decks would be heavily lacking in defense (Playing an MP like Yamcha that has a block, and you include Time and Enhanced reflexes you only have 6 total blocks in your deck)
 

Would love a Saiyan mastery that allows you to tutor attached cards (I want to see Clench decks be a thing and watch the world burn)

 

Honestly I would love to see the other styles get masteries that start you with akey card in play, akin to Tag and Retribution. Especially for weaker deck archetypes. Not sure how to do it for all styles, but it could be fun. 

I came up with this Saiyan mastery last year. It tutors an attach card on opponent's turn 1 just like Tag Team. But, it has a POWER effect that allows you to shuffle/destroy cards attached to your MP for some bonus, could be anger, damage buff, etc.

They should make at least one attack (Energy) that would tutor an attach card as an immediate effect to supplement Body Blow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

A new Black mastery could totally work if they just did what they should have done with Devious and restrict it to styled cards only.

Other than that I would like to see a Black mastery that works with the "punish your opponent for blocking" theme that we saw a little bit of with cards like tunneling ball. i would love to see that concept expand because I love the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" playstyle.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I really want them to expand on play styles that never went anywhere. 

copied attacks and setup attacks was another one.

5 hours ago, Amanax said:

 

Would love a Saiyan mastery that allows you to tutor attached cards (I want to see Clench decks be a thing and watch the world burn)

You don't think turn 0 clench would be a little too good? Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bringing back Freestyle Mastery from Buu Saga in Score Z would be busted with Herogeta and Frieza since they both revolve around using their Named cards however I'd reword it to where you just get the tutor effect for them when entering combat instead of being able to keep all your Drills If you advance or lower a personality level since we already had that with Orange Adaptive Mastery back when Drillku was good until Android #20 came along thanks to Tim Batow.

Since we already have functional reprints of Saiyan Style Mastery from Buu Saga and Saiyan Supreme Mastery from GT why not give us Saiyan Style Mastery from Cell Saga since it actually generates card advantage? Just don't bring back broken cards like Saiyan Blitz Mastery from GT where your opponent is forced to skip their next action every time you perform a Styled attack since it's basically the equivalent of playing against Yata Lock in Yu-Gi-Oh!.

As far as other Styles go I think Black is overdue for a better Mastery compared to what's currently available while Orange and Namekian are good as it is with Blue and Red arguably in a safe spot right now though I'm not sure If they need better Mastery cards at this point in time. Too bad Panini never got around to implementing Sensei Decks before the game got discontinued but I guess that was also an excuse not to deal with Fusion like in Score Z as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Littlebig said:

You don't think turn 0 clench would be a little too good? Lol

At the moment, no. As much fun as the deck is, if it doesn't get clench, it doesn't actually do much. Any deck that can be turn one scout maneuvered out of the game will never be a realistic tournament deck. Also, if more attach hate gets printed, the deck already loses ground. As it is, the deck has a hard time against any flavor of Trunks, struggles against Broly (Saiyan Back Breaker specifically), and can struggle quite a bit against any Black deck (Scout Maneuver, Searching Technique, Defensive Burst, etc).

 

If clench decks start topping or were at all a consistent threat, then sure. It would be too much. That's what play testing is for :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Amanax said:

At the moment, no. As much fun as the deck is, if it doesn't get clench, it doesn't actually do much. Any deck that can be turn one scout maneuvered out of the game will never be a realistic tournament deck. Also, if more attach hate gets printed, the deck already loses ground. As it is, the deck has a hard time against any flavor of Trunks, struggles against Broly (Saiyan Back Breaker specifically), and can struggle quite a bit against any Black deck (Scout Maneuver, Searching Technique, Defensive Burst, etc).

 

If clench decks start topping or were at all a consistent threat, then sure. It would be too much. That's what play testing is for :P

You have very solid points there lol never thought about it like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Amanax said:

Any deck that can be turn one scout maneuvered out of the game will never be a realistic tournament deck. 

That would involve someone playing Black tho... lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

That would involve someone playing Black tho... lol

People have been playing black! (I think it's mostly because it's arguably the easiest style to get best of right now for your playmats) and set 9 did add some good black power cards. Also, Set 10 may give black a good mastery again... so there's that possibility :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black Revenge Mastery
Your styled attacks without printed anger gain "Raise or lower a player's anger 1."
Power: Discard a random card from your hand. If the card discarded was styled, you may lower your anger 1. If you do, your opponent discards a random card from his or her hand.

Blue Thought Mastery
Instant Power: Use when you use a critical damage effect, search your discard pile for a styled setup and put it in play.
Power: Banish a setup you control. If you do, your styled energy attacks do +2 life cards of damage and gain "Hit- You may draw a card. If you do, discard a card."

Namekian Training Mastery
(You cannot win by MPPV. At the start of the game, search your life deck for 7 Dragon Balls and banish them.)
Power: When entering combat, search your banish zone for a Dragon Ball and play it. If you control 3 or more Dragon Balls, advance an MP level.

Orange Technique Mastery
(You may play or put it play copies of styled drills that you already control.)
Your styled drills without endurance gain "Endurance 1." 
Power: Banish a styled drill you control. Perform a Physical attack doing AT+3 power stages of damage. This power may be used twice per turn.

Red Furious Mastery
Instant Power: Use when you use a critical damage effect. Raise your anger 2.
Power: Banish the top card of your discards to raise your anger 1. If the card was styled, you may destroy a setup, ally or drill in play.

Saiyan Awakened Mastery
Power: Use when entering combat. Draw a card. You may reveal your hand. If your hand contains only styled cards, draw 2 cards and your attacks do +1 stages of damage this combat.

 

Yes, these are OP, who cares :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was 100% about to comment that those were OP, but you know what? Touche, ser. You beat me to it |:

Also, holy shit, what the hell is Saiyan Awakened. I REALLY hope we don't get that with mono-Styled Broly o-o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'When you use a Critical Damage Effect' over 'When you deal Critical Damage' was a mistake. As was not giving Red more Damage Buffs, beefy attacks and cards that have effects that are set off by dealing Critical Damage. 'Use a Critical Damage Effect' was lazy.

Red Enraged Mastery wouldn't have been broken with good designers behind the helm. :/ Or whomever made Red Enraged didn't design it with a loophole built in. Black Devious was unsalvagable though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want any masteries that let a style do something it isn't known for. No Orange ally mastery, or Black anti-anger mastery for example. 

Three things I would like to see...

1. A Mastery that let's you perform a styled attack for 4 power stages, so long as your MP cannot perform an attack on his current level. This would be a huge boon to all the MP stacks that lack an attack on level 1. 

2. An Orange Mastery that keeps your opponent from being able to prevent damage from your energy attacks. "If you have two or more styled drills in play damage from your energy attacks cannot be prevented." This would help to bring energy beatdown decks back into the limelight, as well as give Orange a slight boost vs anger decks. 

3. A Black Mastery that brings Black as a style back from the dead zone that it is now in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SirCod said:

I don't want any masteries that let a style do something it isn't known for. No Orange ally mastery, or Black anti-anger mastery for example. 

Three things I would like to see...

1. A Mastery that let's you perform a styled attack for 4 power stages, so long as your MP cannot perform an attack on his current level. This would be a huge boon to all the MP stacks that lack an attack on level 1. 

2. An Orange Mastery that keeps your opponent from being able to prevent damage from your energy attacks. "If you have two or more styled drills in play damage from your energy attacks cannot be prevented." This would help to bring energy beatdown decks back into the limelight, as well as give Orange a slight boost vs anger decks. 

3. A Black Mastery that brings Black as a style back from the dead zone that it is now in. 

I agree with all of this except point 2. Orange fierce attack already does all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh jeez there are a lot more replies now. The one thing that stood out to me that I remember thinking of some time ago that could help to speed up the game possibly to the point of bo3 matches with proper siding is including attacks on masteries. Bo1 I've found to be a huge turn off for people that I tried to bring into the game when it was alive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×