https://fanzwarriorsgather.wordpress.com/2017/07/19/visions-of-the-future-dev-team-hints-on-set-10/

Hint #1: The Time Period

This one should come down as little surprise I feel, given that we just came out of another movie/supplemental set, but set 10’s time line will pick up where the story last left off – starting at the 7 year gapafter the defeat of Cell and ending at the Gohan vs Majin Dabura fight!

So what does this mean we will see in the set? Well likely:
– The Great Saiyaman arc
– The World Martial Arts Tournament arc
– The beginning of the Babidi arc

What we likely won’t see:
– Goku SSJ2
– Majin Vegeta
– Majin Buu

Hint #2: The World Martial Arts Championship Belt is a card!

That’s right folks! You too will soon be able to rep gold like The Champ himself very shortly in the game!

Not only is the belt in the game, but I’ve heard tell that it will likely be a non-Styled Attachment! Those looking to play cards like Unleashed in less promoted Styles, like Orange and Black, may soon get your wish if the belt is good enough!

As founder of the WMAT Format, which is played on the Dragonball Z OCTGN League, I know I’m personally excited to see what the Champ Belt will do (and may look into customizing or signing a few to give away for the official event if able)!

Hint #3: Number of MPs in the Set

Since set 10 will be a starter set of sorts (similar to Premium, Evolution & Awakening), we will be receiving a total of 8 full MP stacks as well as several single levels to help promote weaker MPs.

What could these full stacks entail? Well if I had to guess…:
– Gohan (as The Great Saiyaman)
– Videl
– Goten
– Kid Trunks
– Android 18 (as a Hero stack!)
– Majin Dabura
– Majin Spopovich
– Babidi

As far as the single MPs, my guess would likely be:
– Hercule (possibly a different level 1?)
– Krillin
– Piccolo
– Vegeta (Hero Level) [possibly to help with the Evo stack?]

Allies for this set may turn out to be any of the following:
– The Announcer
– Chi-chi
– Bulma
– Marron (Krillin & A18’s Daughter)
– Supreme Kai
– Kibito
– Majin Yamu
– Majin Yakon
– Majin Pui Pui

Hint #4: Heritage Matters!

Our final hint for the set is a rather interesting one – that of “Heritage Matters”.

Now for those that played in the original ScoreZ days, you may remember cards with the text “Namekian Heritage Only” or “Saiyan Heritage Only” dictating that only MPs of that particular heritage could use those cards.

Likewise, those who played the “Re-Z” brand of the game may recall that each MP and Ally in the game came keyworded with a particular heritage (called traits in the game): Human, Saiyan, Alien or Namek.

Could this be a similar mechanic that checks to see which sort of trait/heritage your personality has? Certainly we already have guidelines on “Heritage” of sorts thanks to the MPs that are allowed to use the Saiyan and Namekian Masteries.

What exactly will this mean for the game moving forward? Only time will tell!

I assume in heritage it'll be saiyan cards that say "if your chsracter is a namekian, do cool thing" like uhhh Nemekian Raising Knee (?) Thw one that lets you rejuv and stage gain

Does anyone else want Great Saiyaman to be his own MP and not swappable with Gohan? I'd still let him use Gohan named cards but let him be his alter ego and have another character that can use all six styles. As much as I like Gohan, I don't think he needs help after nonsensically making Future Gohan not his own MP. I'd be more accepting of Saiyaman being interchangeable if Future Gohan wasn't but the idea of Great Saiyaman being his own MP because of his secret identity is fun in its own way.

Let's hope they don't do something stupid and make Kid Trunks interchangeable with Trunks...

Definitely looking forward to hero 18, a not awful Hercule LV 1, and something for Piccolo. There'd better be some new Android and named cards for old characters...

I'm actually pretty disappointed in Spopovich being a MP. I get that there's slim picking for villains, but ugh.

I feel like the heritage thing will probably only apply to the colored styles which I'm totally for.

Are we finally breaking the stupid barrier of not making new versions of allies that exist? Hoping for a Goku or Vegeta that aren't terrible.

Definitely agree about Great Saiyaman being his own separate MP stack instead of being swappable with Gohan's other levels, as for Kid Trunks I'd rather have him not be interchangeable with Future Trunks either. I'd much rather have an MP stack for Videl over a new Hercule Level 1 to help increase the roster of female MP's but that's just me. Spopovich, Dabura, and Babidi are all fine choices for Villain MP stacks in Set 10. Ally cards for Nail and Raditz would be nice since they're way overdue.

On a side note in regards to Set 11 I wonder how they'll handle Fusion with Gotenks, Vegito, and Gogeta, will it be like in Score Z where you needed either the Fusion Dance or Potara Earring cards with one of the fusion partners as your Ally in play while the other is your MP? Also I cannot stress this enough please implement Sensei Decks in FanZ to where they function exactly like Piccolo Sensei did in Score Z! I hated the way Sensei Decks were implemented in Score Z due to how it increased luck over skill.

Unless they call Kid Trunks "Trunks", they'd have to errata Dr Brief as well. There's no reason he shouldn't work with his grandson. You never know. Perhaps Panini always intended for Kid Trunks to be "Trunks" with how they made Dr Brief. They had the foresight to make Chichi work with Goten so I want to believe it was a conscious decision even if I'm disappointed by it.

A Videl stack isn't in question. She'll definitely get one but Hercule is featured quite a bit so I think he deserves a single level here to help him out.

I will personally be hugely disappointed if they make Kid Trunks and Future Trunks the same stack, just because it feels like that would be even more dismissive of how different the two characters really are than what we got with Future Gohan and normal Gohan (at least they have roughly the same disposition and outlook; the Trunks may as well be polar opposites). Another point here is that, while it made sense for Future Gohan to get Gohan's named cards (since he did know those attacks in his past), Kid Trunks has damn near never displayed ANY of his Future counterpart's attacks (except maybe Finish Buster, but I don't think Kid Trunks ever used that in the canon).

That said, I'm also kind of hoping that Great Saiyaman isn't necessarily his own stack, but that comes from a kind of selfish want to play as Adult Gohan as his own MP. Have his level 1 just be him in his base form and uniform, looking fairly disinterested, level 2 be his "Golden Fighter" persona, then Level 3 and 4 be Great Saiyaman (with a lower power level than the level 2 because Super Saiyan). But again, this is just me REALLY wanting an Adult Gohan stack already, and in an ideal world, we'd get both going down (with Gohan (adult)'s stack ending on his Super Saiyan 2 state after Spopovich messed up Videl). So if it's one or the other, joint, if I can get both, definitely split Great Saiyaman to do his own schtick.

As a known Gohan fan I actually would prefer saiyaman just to be a single level, and save the full stacks for other characters in set 10. Make saiyaman a new lv 1 (possibly 2) and save the full stake for mystic. Gohan has plenty of good levels right now as it is. Although I would like a new level 4. If they do a single level now they can work adult super saiyan 2 into the mystic stack as level 2 or 3.

As far as Trunks verse kid trunks goes I think it would be very unlikely that they are considered different personalities at this point. Given the wording on dr. briefs and the way they treated future gohan I think it would be highly unlikely that they're not interchangeable. And frankly it's more fun from a game standpoint to be able to mix them. Otherwise we'll never get new trunks levels to play (or at least not many), so future trunks would eventually get phased out. I know it doesn't make sense from a flavor standpoint, but I think the upside is greater if they're mixable.

I know the guy in the article is just speculating, but I'm hoping the set goes something like this:

Full Stack:

Kid Trunks (for sure)

Goten (for Sure)

Videl (For Sure)

Babidi (For Sure)

Dabura (For Sure)

Hero 18 (likely)

Spopovich (likely)

For the last one I'm not sure. It could either be saiyaman, hercule, piccolo (just cause he needs one), One of the other villains (yakon maybe), or even a surprise like Dende or majin vegeta as a preview (since they've been fond of those lately).

But I'm hoping they do single levels of:

-Gohan (great saiyaman) lv 1

-Hercule lv 1

-Piccolo lv 1

-Krillin lv 1

And do one of the other options for the full stack. I personally would favor yakon or majin vegeta just to get more villains out there.

This would leave us with set 11 looking something like:

-Fat Buu

-Majin Vegeta

-Goku SS3

-Supreme Kai

Though I could totally see them doing majin vegeta as a full stack preview for set 10 then doing maybe dende for set 11. A. because it pleases the rabid vegeta fan base and B. because it gives them a namekian for set 11.

Then movie set 12 something like:

-Bojack

-Broly

-Probably lot of single levels which could include future trunks and/or kid truks (since each plays a role in the movies), goten, ss2 Gohan, piccolo, hero vegeta, videl, hero 18. Or they could do another weird combo saga and give us something like Zarbon and Dodoria MP's

Then set 13 if we hopefully make it their might be:

-Super Buu

-Mystic gohan

-Piccolo?

-Goten?

-Kid Trunks?

-Hero Vegeta?

-Goku?

-Not sure what else. Maybe single levels for tien, yamcha, and krillin. Maybe we'd get bulma, chichi, yajirobe, etc. instead of some of the above? Not real sure. Could be a tough roster to round out.

14:

-Kid buu

-Vegitto

-Gotenks

-Hercule

15:

-Tapion

-Hirudegarn

-Janemba

-Pikkon/Uub

Yes I'm getting pretty far into the future now and the further out the harder it is to predict. I have ideas for what they could do after they reach the end of Z too, but it might be too soon to think about that.

1 hour ago, v3rse said:

As a known Gohan fan I actually would prefer saiyaman just to be a single level, and save the full stacks for other characters in set 10. Make saiyaman a new lv 1 (possibly 2) and save the full stake for mystic. Gohan has plenty of good levels right now as it is. Although I would like a new level 4. If they do a single level now they can work adult super saiyan 2 into the mystic stack as level 2 or 3.

As far as Trunks verse kid trunks goes I think it would be very unlikely that they are considered different personalities at this point. Given the wording on dr. briefs and the way they treated future gohan I think it would be highly unlikely that they're not interchangeable. And frankly it's more fun from a game standpoint to be able to mix them. Otherwise we'll never get new trunks levels to play (or at least not many), so future trunks would eventually get phased out. I know it doesn't make sense from a flavor standpoint, but I think the upside is greater if they're mixable.

I know the guy in the article is just speculating, but I'm hoping the set goes something like this:

Full Stack:

Kid Trunks (for sure)

Goten (for Sure)

Videl (For Sure)

Babidi (For Sure)

Dabura (For Sure)

Hero 18 (likely)

Spopovich (likely)

For the last one I'm not sure. It could either be saiyaman, hercule, piccolo (just cause he needs one), One of the other villains (yakon maybe), or even a surprise like Dende or majin vegeta as a preview (since they've been fond of those lately).

But I'm hoping they do single levels of:

-Gohan (great saiyaman) lv 1

-Hercule lv 1

-Piccolo lv 1

-Krillin lv 1

And do one of the other options for the full stack. I personally would favor yakon or majin vegeta just to get more villains out there.

This would leave us with set 11 looking something like:

-Fat Buu

-Majin Vegeta

-Goku SS3

-Supreme Kai

Though I could totally see them doing majin vegeta as a full stack preview for set 10 then doing maybe dende for set 11. A. because it pleases the rabid vegeta fan base and B. because it gives them a namekian for set 11.

Then movie set 12 something like:

-Bojack

-Broly

-Probably lot of single levels which could include future trunks and/or kid truks (since each plays a role in the movies), goten, ss2 Gohan, piccolo, hero vegeta, videl, hero 18. Or they could do another weird combo saga and give us something like Zarbon and Dodoria MP's

Then set 13 if we hopefully make it their might be:

-Super Buu

-Mystic gohan

-Piccolo?

-Goten?

-Kid Trunks?

-Hero Vegeta?

-Goku?

-Not sure what else. Maybe single levels for tien, yamcha, and krillin. Maybe we'd get bulma, chichi, yajirobe, etc. instead of some of the above? Not real sure. Could be a tough roster to round out.

14:

-Kid buu

-Vegitto

-Gotenks

-Hercule

15:

-Tapion

-Hirudegarn

-Janemba

-Pikkon/Uub

Yes I'm getting pretty far into the future now and the further out the harder it is to predict. I have ideas for what they could do after they reach the end of Z too, but it might be too soon to think about that.

Please, continue. I've always wondered in the back of my mind what comes after the end of Z. Dragon ball? GT? Super? Maybe even break away from the saga to saga set cycles and just make generic support for whatever either needs it or just introduce/improve MPs for more play styles. Personally hoping for the latter but I guess I wouldn't mind either dragonball or GT. Highly doubt they would venture into super.

7 hours ago, Littlebig said:

Please, continue. I've always wondered in the back of my mind what comes after the end of Z. Dragon ball? GT? Super? Maybe even break away from the saga to saga set cycles and just make generic support for whatever either needs it or just introduce/improve MPs for more play styles. Personally hoping for the latter but I guess I wouldn't mind either dragonball or GT. Highly doubt they would venture into super.

I'm probably alone in halfway hoping they go balls to the wall with promos for a bit after Z, and throw in a heap of random Heroes personalities, or extra what-if fusions from Dragon Ball Fusions. Just some crazy shit.

Also, straight up, they're probably going to do Super. Golden Frieza and Super Saiyan God Goku are already levels in the game, so they've already made moves to acknowledge and include Super. Same goes with Beerus ally. They're more likely to move into Super and provide extra support for the Super cards already in the game, than they are to build up from the ground with GT or Dragon Ball.

12 hours ago, Littlebig said:

I am of the opinion that they should continue with super and treat GT sagas like they have been treating movie sets. So starter set of super, booster set, then GT based booster set. This also does not preclude them from doing throw back sets for the boosters whenever necessary. In order capture any personalities from dragon ball or Z they may have missed. 

For instance the first set could be battle of the gods, followed by a booster set focusing on missed heroes like bulma, chichi, and yajirobe, followed by a booster set focusing on the first GT saga. Then gold frieza followed by a frieza throwback booster featuring zarbon, dodoria, etc followed by the next GT arc.

Dabura is tied with Burter as my favorite character, and he has a lot of powers and flavor so I hope he gets proper treatment. There's spit, weapon conjuration (for some potential Sword synergy), demon breath, meditation, and a power level at or above Cell's.

Also I guess this is less likely now with such limited card pools, but for the Buu Saga I think it would be a good time to make another archetype like Sword: Magic. In general there's a lot of Magic from the Kaioshin, Babidi's family, and Buu to make the cards. Babidi could be a destructive Magic-themed MP and Dende a healing Magic-themed MP. Old Kai could be a Hero Ally that supports Magic, and Bibidi the Villain Ally. It seems to write itself but like I said they might not want to bother with that when there will only be so many cards released per Set.

Regarding making Kid Trunks interchangeable with Trunks because we won't see Future Trunks after a while, it's a disappointing possibility but I don't really buy it as a justification. I'd like to think that Nail and Raditz will some day get new levels and if they can out of the blue, so can Trunks. Putting that aside, he's still in Bojack, Super, and has a flashback in Battle of Gods. Even if we don't see him for a while, we know he's coming. With how Future Gohan was handled (which I cannot see the reasoning for), there is no lack of Gohan appearances to the point that we need to sacrifice Future Gohan as an extra MP to support regular Gohan. It makes no sense.

7 minutes ago, Fastest In The Universe said:

It seems to write itself but like I said they might not want to bother with that when there will only be so many cards released per Set.

Not to mention they straight up fumbled when they made a set including History of Trunks and designed ZERO sword or android cards. Like really, how do you do that?

2 hours ago, Mysterious Youth said:

Regarding making Kid Trunks interchangeable with Trunks because we won't see Future Trunks after a while, it's a disappointing possibility but I don't really buy it as a justification. I'd like to think that Nail and Raditz will some day get new levels and if they can out of the blue, so can Trunks. Putting that aside, he's still in Bojack, Super, and has a flashback in Battle of Gods. Even if we don't see him for a while, we know he's coming. With how Future Gohan was handled (which I cannot see the reasoning for), there is no lack of Gohan appearances to the point that we need to sacrifice Future Gohan as an extra MP to support regular Gohan. It makes no sense.

Not to mention they straight up fumbled when they made a set including History of Trunks and designed ZERO sword or android cards. Like really, how do you do that?

I'll agree with the sword and android card sentiment. 

Any word if this is still happening? I haven't heard anything in a while. Though, to be fair, my interest in FanZ is more or less academic at this point, since my locals dried up almost instantly when Panini shut it down, but I'm interested in continuations.

On 9/15/2017 at 10:44 AM, cytorak said:

Any word if this is still happening? I haven't heard anything in a while. Though, to be fair, my interest in FanZ is more or less academic at this point, since my locals dried up almost instantly when Panini shut it down, but I'm interested in continuations.

Yes. It's still moving forward according to the developers. Seeing as how this should be a Mastery set I suspect it will take a bit more time to develop. At least, I hope it does since Mastery cards are suppose to introduce new specialized deck types. 

Interest for FanZ has really waned at my locals with the Dragon Ball Super CCG getting the most attention. One of my friends recently sold all his Panini Z cards and decks while saving some for his version of Tim Batow's Fusion format which allows the use of GT cards given tweaks to the CRD to help make the format more balanced. As for me I'm still debating as to whether or not If I want to tear apart my Red Ascension Frieza deck seeing as there's only two people including myself who still play FanZ.

It's rather sad, really. I made a thread a while back that Panini's capitalizing on nostalgia probably did more damage to the game as a whole than it reinvigorated interest in it. I think I was right. Even Retro was a lot more bustling in Retro Z era than it is Fan Z era.

Mind if I ask what you mean when you say "capitalizing on nostalgia"?

I don't play often so when I do the game is still fun for me. I'm still trying new decks and I love when they succeed. I'll easily keep following Fan Z as long as they keep going with it and I'm able to play. Now if only we can get more sword and Android cards after they dropped the ball with History of Trunks. This wouldn't be a bad set to do it.

Somewhat off topic, but what's the secret behind Super's success? We've speculated here before, but does it come down to the low cost to play minus poorly distributed promos? Reselling said promos? Because Super's airing? I like the game as there is some level of strategic depth and decision making but could the game itself be THAT good to those who play?

To be honest, you'll probably find that it's got more to do with the support the game is overall getting, alongside a few of the points you made about cost (and Dragon Ball Super airing). It's also got an easier to grasp gameplay engine than a lot of other games do, so it's not too bad to pick up and play.

But the reason I bring up the support is that you can look at games that are equally as cost effective and cheap, and very easily see how they've died off/only taken off based on how the company interacts with said game. The Pokemon TCG is probably a good example of this, being an insanely cheap game for how prominent it is, and currently experiencing the height of its popularity. But ultimately, the only real difference between the early days and the new days is the amount of attention the game is receiving from it's parent company (and of course a few rule changes). Nintendo interacts with it more, promotes it more, awards the players, talks with the players about what they want, and the end result is a pretty damn successful community that feels listen to and wants to keep playing. Dragon Ball Super's CCG is receiving similar levels of support, and it actually seems to have pulled a lot of people who previously loathed the game over to its side.

Compare this to companies that spend less time, or have less focus on, engaging with their fanbase, and you generally find dwindling fandoms who only really get involved when there's a new pack released. A good example of this is how Bushiroad handles it's Western community, where the majority of our discussion around the game comes from Japanese leaks about new cards in the upcoming set, and there are long droughts where people have limited interest because we've settled into a meta and the interest of experimenting has dwindled. Sound familiar? Because that's kind of FanZ's model at current, where they're terrible about telling us about upcoming events, about new promos, about deck lists, etc. and the bulk of the hype around the game is very much dictated by the number of card reveals we're receiving at a given time.

31 minutes ago, Mysterious Youth said:

Mind if I ask what you mean when you say "capitalizing on nostalgia"?

Pan Z happened after Retro had 4+ years of fan based build up and the Battle of Gods movie happened. Pan Z was very much an opportunistic move on Panini's part. Also remember that Premier was nothing but 'Best of Score Z' in a new template, with some slight alterations for 'balance'.

20 minutes ago, Denithan said:

To be honest, you'll probably find that it's got more to do with the support the game is overall getting, alongside a few of the points you made about cost (and Dragon Ball Super airing). It's also got an easier to grasp gameplay engine than a lot of other games do, so it's not too bad to pick up and play.

Pretty much this. The game is nothing special, it's just a Duel Masters clone and it's not the only one to come out recently, Final Fantasy and soon Casters are others, but Bandai, unlike Panini, SquareEnix and FoWco, is doing good work with Super. They want it to succeed.

Say what you will about Bandai's other games, but this is the only time other than Naruto they have put genuine effort into something and it's doing well for them.

1 hour ago, Artificial Human said:

Say what you will about Bandai's other games, but this is the only time other than Naruto they have put genuine effort into something and it's doing well for them.

I don't understand why Bandai felt the need to discontinue the Naruto CCG in Japan years ago with the English version releasing their own expansions for it when it ended up doing more harm than good for the game overall.

I can see a similar situation happen to the Dragon Ball Super CCG If they decide to pull the plug on it in Japan with the game continuing to stay in circulation through English exclusive releases.