Artificial Human

Worst TCG you've ever played?

On 8/22/2017 at 2:45 PM, The Bear said:

Two friends and I bought some World of Warcraft cards while we were in high school cause we played the game. Although we never got to do a raid game (where 2-5 players play against a person playing a raid deck) that was probably the coolest thing about it. We played some 1-on-1 games and were pretty disappointed in the game. The only thing I remember about that game is one of my friends opened up some amazing rare card in one of the boosters that came with his starter deck and it gave him a crazy edge in every game. 

The raids were actually a ton of fun. I used to have Black Temple, Molten Core, and Naxx.

16 hours ago, Fresko said:

The raids were actually a ton of fun. I used to have Black Temple, Molten Core, and Naxx.

I wish I could have run a few raids before we decided to give up.  The whole story involved myself and two friends; all of us played WoW, but one friend was addicted to it; lets call him AF for Addicted Friend.  AF was actually the one who convinced me and my other friend to buy two decks for ourselves and a raid deck for him (he said he would pay us back, but dont think he ever did because he never even played the game).  The other friend and I played a handful of games but I always got wrecked by some of the cards he got in his boosters.  Eventually we gave up on the game because AF was always too busy playing WoW to, uh, play the WoW card game.

I dont doubt that raids were the best thing about that game.  It was the primary reason I wanted to try the game out.  I thought it would be more akin to a D&D group playing thru a dungeon than what card games are usually like.

You know, I keep coming back to this topic, make a long reply, then delete it.  Why?  Because every time I think I have a game that I hated I remember something I actually enjoyed about it.   Maybe I'm just easily entertained lol.

Also, raid decks were the best thing about VS, WOW, and L5R and I wish other card games would make them.  Just imagine a Broly raid in PanZ, or a Death Star Raid in Star Wars Destiny.  

9 hours ago, ChangelingBard said:

Also, raid decks were the best thing about VS, WOW, and L5R and I wish other card games would make them.  Just imagine a Broly raid in PanZ, or a Death Star Raid in Star Wars Destiny. 

Now I'm just curious, how would you set up a raid event with PanZ's mechanics?

15 hours ago, Denithan said:

I think it would be similar to Archenemy from MtG. Someone from the fantasy card Facebook group put together boss MP's and decks. With some tweaking and balance adjustments it could be done that way. 

Ok, I've changed my mind. Force of Will is by far the worst TCG I have ever touched. I've really come to absolutely despise it more so than any other game I've played due to the general incompetence of the staff. Even when the game is looking up, they still manage to fuck it up.

The game is a general hodge podge of games, starting with a Magic base, but having Shields of Duel Masters, traps of YGO, a Commander that is generally a flip card from Duel Masters/Magic and unique Resource Rules. The game sets it's stats at Magic x200 in it's original Valhalla Block. Sounds ok, but:

>Stats have gradually power crept, stats are  now Magic x300 average, except Life, which is still 4000. It's stagnated, now, eventually, but it's not ebbing back down where it should be.

>They keep designing Rulers with some type of mechanic or tribal in mind, but they never support them properly. Sometimes they never even finish it, releasing part decks. It's infuriating because the game sells itself on Tribal and Mechanics.

>The game has plot tumored on Grimm's Fairy Tales. It just can't get away from it and keeps using the same characters all the fucking time. It went to the past just to reuse them after finally ending the story line after three blocks.

>The game is ridiculously poorly playtested. Either every set they make something so toxic it dominates till the next set because they don't make answers, or they make something so ridiculously broken and open, sets after just support it.

I had enough of FoWco's shit after a year. I was thinking of going back as it has looked somewhat up in late Lapis Block, like a direction change, but nope. All the sweet talk in the world from their Mark Rosewater, Jordan, meant absolutely nothing. Many of the problems are sticking around.

On 8/27/2017 at 7:09 PM, Denithan said:

You would have to change things up a bit, like for example you would have to include something like goal cards that each combat do something to effect the combat and give scenarios for the Z fighters to win the goal, otherwise the raid player would be one step closer to winning.  EG:

Example Raid Personality Spending Powers:

Spend 1 Goal: Rejuvenate 20 life cards.

Spend 2: Goals: Banish all Setups, Drills, and Dragon Balls in all Players discard piles and in play.

Spend 3 Goals: Deal 60 Life cards of unpreventable and modifiable damage to a player. 

Example Goal:

Combat Effect: All damage done by the Z-Fighters this combat do +2 life cards of damage.

Goal: Deal at least 7 life cards of damage in one attack.  Otherwise give this goal to the Raider.

Players would win goals to keep  them out of the Raid personalities grasp and so on and so forth.  Pretty much a stolen from VS raid mechanics lol.

22 hours ago, Artificial Human said:

Ok, I've changed my mind. Force of Will is by far the worst TCG I have ever touched. I've really come to absolutely despise it more so than any other game I've played due to the general incompetence of the staff. Even when the game is looking up, they still manage to fuck it up.

The game is a general hodge podge of games, starting with a Magic base, but having Shields of Duel Masters, traps of YGO, a Commander that is generally a flip card from Duel Masters/Magic and unique Resource Rules. The game sets it's stats at Magic x200 in it's original Valhalla Block. Sounds ok, but:

>Stats have gradually power crept, stats are  now Magic x300 average, except Life, which is still 4000. It's stagnated, now, eventually, but it's not ebbing back down where it should be.

>They keep designing Rulers with some type of mechanic or tribal in mind, but they never support them properly. Sometimes they never even finish it, releasing part decks. It's infuriating because the game sells itself on Tribal and Mechanics.

>The game has plot tumored on Grimm's Fairy Tales. It just can't get away from it and keeps using the same characters all the fucking time. It went to the past just to reuse them after finally ending the story line after three blocks.

>The game is ridiculously poorly playtested. Either every set they make something so toxic it dominates till the next set because they don't make answers, or they make something so ridiculously broken and open, sets after just support it.

I had enough of FoWco's shit after a year. I was thinking of going back as it has looked somewhat up in late Lapis Block, like a direction change, but nope. All the sweet talk in the world from their Mark Rosewater, Jordan, meant absolutely nothing. Many of the problems are sticking around.

I wanted to love FoW but couldn't stay in it long enough to hate it either. Not so much due to mechanics, but mostly due to the demographic it attracted in my area. 

On 8/23/2017 at 4:45 AM, The Bear said:

Two friends and I bought some World of Warcraft cards while we were in high school cause we played the game. Although we never got to do a raid game (where 2-5 players play against a person playing a raid deck) that was probably the coolest thing about it. We played some 1-on-1 games and were pretty disappointed in the game. The only thing I remember about that game is one of my friends opened up some amazing rare card in one of the boosters that came with his starter deck and it gave him a crazy edge in every game. 

I found my WoW cards I got from a demo at a convention long ago the other day. 2p Starter Deck thing in some video tape type box?

I think the only reason I didn't play it was because I wasn't into high fantasy at the time. I remember thinking it was enjoyable enough for what it was. It was a Magic Clone though. A decent one, and you can see what it gave birth to later on, but totally just Magic with some flavour changes and a Hero/Leader/Ruler, what have you.