I wish there was some concrete consistency in the pull rate but even 6-8 is beyond generous. I'm questioning how much product will sell at this rate unless the good supers are short printed. The premium rares being alt art super rares is very new player friendly, but I don't think too many people will crack boxes just for a shot at them like Spheres. Hopefully this is a business model that'll attract lots of people so for any company who wonders about Super's potential "wild success", it'll change their mind about bad pull rates and their archaic, extortionate business models. What am I saying? No it won't...

Let's hope Bandai doesn't take this positive reaction as a means to start adding more and more super rares in following sets like they did with Naruto.

1 hour ago, Mysterious Youth said:

I wish there was some concrete consistency in the pull rate but even 6-8 is beyond generous. I'm questioning how much product will sell at this rate unless the good supers are short printed. The premium rares being alt art super rares is very new player friendly, but I don't think too many people will crack boxes just for a shot at them like Spheres. Hopefully this is a business model that'll attract lots of people so for any company who wonders about Super's potential "wild success", it'll change their mind about bad pull rates and their archaic, extortionate business models. What am I saying? No it won't...

Let's hope Bandai doesn't take this positive reaction as a means to start adding more and more super rares in following sets like they did with Naruto.

It might sour stores off the game. My friend has said he thinks you only need 2 boxes to get everything you need per set. Force of Will isn't much better and stores kept getting saddled with tons of unsold stock. It also had the side effect of making the secondary market was non-existent in terms of profit.

Are any of the supers staples in any way? Or at least Sphere status where it's not necessarily a staple, but having them can be beneficial? I understand the meta isn't exactly figured out, but I would think that if the supers are already this cheap, how good the cards are aren't a factor when they're so easy to pull.

Considering a playset of rares is 36 cards, then yeah. 2 boxes should get you most if not all of those unless you pull too many leaders. I don't know what the sweet spot is here. I know my friends are warming up to the game because it looks so affordable, but if that ever changes, they might get turned off. Meanwhile, stores need to order product carefully.

Each color has a SR you should at least be running 2 of, leader depending.

Also I am VERY happy with how the R/SRs are handled. I, for one, am enjoying not having to spend a shit load of $ to get the deck I want.

Luckily the super rares are all high cost cards that you probably wouldnt run 4-of in any deck with a few exceptions.  The distribution model will make it easy to build whatever deck you want, so barrier to entry is low and will get lower with time and product movement.  The special rare situation gives collector's their own rarity that has no bearing on game play. 

So far my favorite supers are:

Lighting Fast Hit - How could you not love this card?  In my red deck I usually want to win before my opponent or I have 6 energy as my deck is more effective pushing damage in the early game.  This card gives me a sort of safety net in the late game where my low cost cards have a harder time dealing with the opponent's game plan and pushing damage.  A solid 3/4-of.

Beerus, General of Demolition - One of my blue deck ideas involves running 4 of this card and playing a stall game until you can drain your opponent's hand every turn.

26 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Luckily the super rares are all high cost cards that you probably wouldnt run 4-of in any deck with a few exceptions.  The distribution model will make it easy to build whatever deck you want, so barrier to entry is low and will get lower with time and product movement.  The special rare situation gives collector's their own rarity that has no bearing on game play. 

So far my favorite supers are:

Lighting Fast Hit - How could you not love this card?  In my red deck I usually want to win before my opponent or I have 6 energy as my deck is more effective pushing damage in the early game.  This card gives me a sort of safety net in the late game where my low cost cards have a harder time dealing with the opponent's game plan and pushing damage.  A solid 3/4-of.

Beerus, General of Demolition - One of my blue deck ideas involves running 4 of this card and playing a stall game until you can drain your opponent's hand every turn.

I don't play Red and Hit is still my favorite SR lol I just love burn effects.

On 7/28/2017 at 6:02 PM, GamingGiant said:

I saw a opening video online where they pulled 6 SRs in their box. Like you said, should be an affordable and competitively balanced game.

Pulled 7 in my box today: 1 Ginyu, 1 Broly, 1 Goku, 2 Beerus, 2 Hit

Bought 3 boxes today, opened 2 so far.

13 SR, 1 SPR, 34R

I have 9 spare rare leaders, so I am still 11 rares from a playset.

2-3 boxes is definitely the max anyone will have to buy for this game.  Plus one starter and one special pack if you want the exclusive promos/foils from those.  This is both a blessing and a curse:

The entry point for this game, compared to most games out there, is extremely low.  $200-300 is chump change in the TCG world.  SPR are almost completely unneeded, as they are just alt art versions of other cards.  The only necessity is bling.  This is great for the players, as the playing field is level for gameplay.

The problem we run into is that the secondary market is going to be non-existent and the primary market will slide very quickly.  Once the base players buy their 3 boxes, what is the incentive to buy more?  Who are they going to trade them to?  In this aspect, the SPR should have been about half as rare.  They are too far out there to justify buying a box, knowing you likely WON'T get one.  Stores will end up with product just shelf-warming.  And now, what is the point of buying cards in the secondary market?  yeah, you'll pick up the one or two SRs you need to complete your set, but after that the playable ones will run at max MAYBE $5-10 if you're lucky.  $1-2 for the unplayables.  consequently the SPR market will be pick and choose.  Half won't care about the bling and will sell them immediately, the others will go searching for them, so prices spike and then once everyone who wants them has them, it will die off quickly.  Those that want them will low ball because they "Just need one more for their set" and those who don't want them will gouge because "no one is really selling them right now".

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but the value of this game seems like it will be down in the dirt.  That's going to hurt sales in the short run and hurt players' value in the long run.  Time will tell.

having more supers per set will increase the price of supers (the same effect as PanZ having 4 URS per set in 1/4/7 with no actual increase in set size.  it just jacked up the pull rates for specific URs.)  It will have no effect on boxes being worth buying though.  It doesn't address the problem that after 3-4 boxes you are buying them JUST on the low chance that it will have ONE specific card out of the 288 cards in the box.  And the fact that card is just an alt art reprint, what's the point?

Yeah, sure, it will have collector's value.  but at this point, why buy a box for $65-75 on the low chance you'll pull a SPR when you can just buy that super for $50-60?

The other problem I've seen is a lack of incentive to have more than a playset of any one card.  In PanZ you could use multiple sets of pretty much ANY freestyle card.  How many cards in DBS are universal to more than 1 deck outside its color?  Champa comes to mind.  Nothing else really does though.  Cabba's Awakening had potential, just have it give +2000-3000 in general and then +6000 for red.  Honestly, aside from "collector's value" (which is next to nil for just about everything except SPRs), what incentive is there to buy product once you have a playset?

8 minutes ago, Stryyder said:

having more supers per set will increase the price of supers (the same effect as PanZ having 4 URS per set in 1/4/7 with no actual increase in set size.  it just jacked up the pull rates for specific URs.)  It will have no effect on boxes being worth buying though.  It doesn't address the problem that after 3-4 boxes you are buying them JUST on the low chance that it will have ONE specific card out of the 288 cards in the box.  And the fact that card is just an alt art reprint, what's the point?

Yeah, sure, it will have collector's value.  but at this point, why buy a box for $65-75 on the low chance you'll pull a SPR when you can just buy that super for $50-60?

The other problem I've seen is a lack of incentive to have more than a playset of any one card.  In PanZ you could use multiple sets of pretty much ANY freestyle card.  How many cards in DBS are universal to more than 1 deck outside its color?  Champa comes to mind.  Nothing else really does though.  Cabba's Awakening had potential, just have it give +2000-3000 in general and then +6000 for red.  Honestly, aside from "collector's value" (which is next to nil for just about everything except SPRs), what incentive is there to buy product once you have a playset?

The only cards that seem to be good for any color are Further Destruction Champa, Goten Family of Justice, and Ultimate Judgement Jaco because of their combo utility.

They are only super expensive now because a lot of store tournaments haven't started. Once this weekend passes the value should go down with WAY more tournament packs getting opened. For the non foils anyway.

I think it will help get prices down, but tournament promos will likely still be the money cards for this game.  in PanZ, a good number of tournament winner promos got into the $5-15 range, and these were just 2 per event alt art reprints.  DBS tournament promos are unique cards that you can get ONE of in an event, and it's one out of 16 possible pulls (8 cards foil and non-foil).  There are a limited # of events and distributors are already sold out of series 1 and preselling series 2 (for November).  Not to mention several posts I've seen of people who bought kits off their LGS and are selling sets of all the cards.  There will definitely be more out this weekend, but the prices will likely still stay a bit up.  I would estimate $15-20 for a non-foil, $35-50 for a foil.