Mankat

Beerus Auto and Blocker

Question

So I am curious if the leader Beerus' Auto ability (On both Sides) triggers before the Blocker ability can trigger or does the blocker trigger on targeting of the attack?

17 answers to this question

Auto abilities activated on attacking resolve before the opponent's window to respond with a Blocker or a Counter.

EDITED TO CORRECT:

My response above is a bit erroneous (errors have been struck).  The play manual states under section 7 that the order upon declaring an attack is actually:

Counter Timing Occurs (7-1-1). The opponent may activate a Counter:Attack card at this time.

A check point occurs (7-1-2).  Attacking [auto] abilities and the opponent's [Blocker] can be activated at this time.

7-1-2-1 explains that even if a [Counter:Attack] has been played all [Auto] abilities upon attacking still activate.

6 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

The way (as I understand it is) A.B.A.C.

Auto -> Blocker -> Awakening -> Combo

@The Bear Correct me if I am wrong on that.

From what I understand you awaken during your combo phase, it is not it's own separate timing.

25 minutes ago, The Bear said:

From what I understand you awaken during your combo phase, it is not it's own separate timing.

Do you awaken before combos are applied or after? I would think it would be before.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:54 PM, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Do you awaken before combos are applied or after? I would think it would be before.

I don't think it would matter in most cases.  Once finished with your combo phase, you total up your attack power, at which time all your combos and your new atk power from awakening would be totaled and compare with your opponent.

If you mean something like a combo that says "If your leader is awakened..." I would say that awakening AFTER you've played such a card would NOT net you the effect.

No I am referring to a situation like, you attack an unawakened leader with a 10K battle card, so it is a tie and attacker wins. Your opponent can Awaken before the combo phase starts so now you have to combo to beat the awakened leader and the defender can respond with their combo(s) as per usual.

8 hours ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

No I am referring to a situation like, you attack an unawakened leader with a 10K battle card, so it is a tie and attacker wins.

This situation is WAAAAAY too simple.  You are assuming that no cards are played.  ALL the windows for counter and combo happen EVERY combat, regardless of whether one player passes through one or not.  If you are tied and, as the attacker, decide not to combo while your opponent has the ability to awaken (at 4 or less life), they get to awaken during their combo phase and they'll be higher than you.

It doesn't matter what your stats are when you attack, only at the end of combat resolution.

Ex.

Attacker attacks (both leaders at 10k)

Counter window (no counters)

Attacker combo phase (Attacker chooses not to combo)

Defender combo phase (Defender is at 4 life, so they awaken, new ATK 15K, and choose not to play any combos)

Combat resolution - Defender wins since they have higher ATK.

Dood you cut off the second half of my sentence lol I know all that but I was referring to the situation i quoted above. My point was when you can Awaken in the battle phase matters, specifically whether it is before or after you can combo. (and it is before)

47 minutes ago, sh0ryu_repp4 said:

Dood you cut off the second half of my sentence lol I know all that but I was referring to the situation i quoted above. My point was when you can Awaken in the battle phase matters, specifically whether it is before or after you can combo. (and it is before)

You misunderstand.  You can awaken any time DURING your combo phase.  It is not before the combo phase.  But of course, it makes the most sense to awaken at the start of your combo phase in order to get the extra power boost and draw two cards.

5 minutes ago, The Bear said:

You misunderstand.  You can awaken any time DURING your combo phase.  It is not before the combo phase.  But of course, it makes the most sense to awaken at the start of your combo phase in order to get the extra power boost and draw two cards.

Oh ok I wasn't aware it was at anytime. I was just making sure it wasn't that you couldn't do it until a certain point.

Yeah, I was focusing on your first point, which is a nonsensical statement in the scheme of the game (no offense).  "you attack, you're tied, attacker wins." truncates the attack step to an unrealistic example.  Regardless of WHEN during combat your opponent may awaken, there is really no reason for them not to, so that example would never happen.

Sounds like the question is more towards the auto which kills a cost 2 or less  if you have 3 energy vs a  cost 2 or less blocker. Does the auto kill the blocker before it can block. If no and the block is declared then the auto triggers and kills the blocker does the damage still happen after a block is in place? The blocker is dead before damage.

18 hours ago, Stryyder said:

It's a moot point.  the Q&A (63 I think) states that Autos resolve before blocker can be used.

If that were the case then Cabba would have to take a damage before blockers were assigned and we already established that isnt the case.

I don't see where that was established?  Blockers are not assigned until AFTER Cabba's Auto resolves.

Also, to confirm a previous question: Awakening during combat happens during the free timing of an appropriate player's Offense or Defense phase, treated as an "Activate: Battle" skill.